Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

Old May 4, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

Old Jan 12, 2002, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

We'll be in Vienna in April and, as luck would have it, there are Point Stretcher awards available. Is the Vienna Plaza worth 15,000 points more than the Vienna Hilton in your opinion? Has anyone stayed at the Vienna Danube Hilton. It looks to be a bit off the beaten track, unless you're going to spend at lot of time at the Prater, but the rooms are bigger.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm going through the same exercise for a 2-night stay in May. A colleague whom I trust said that the Vienna Plaza was better than the original Vienna, but since I need a room with two beds I would have difficulty getting a suitable upgrade at the Plaza.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
I have stayed at as HH Gold several times Hilton Vienna, typical Hilton. Very nice lounge. An advantage is this hotel is the location of the airport bus terminal. I have not stayed at Hilton Plaza.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
Old Jan 13, 2002, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The Danube Hilton must be new or a recent takeover, as it was not there this past spring. Anyone have info on this?

I stayed at the Plaza Hilton in May and it was very nice. It's definately smaller and much newer than the Vienna Hilton. Service was very good, upgraded to business floor as a Gold, has a great rooftop lounge with a nice view over the 'ring strasse. While I was living in Vienna from Aug.-Dec. I didn't have a chance to visit the Vienna Hilton, but from FT I've heard nothing but good comments. Both hotels are well situated within easy walking distance of the entire inner city. Like World20 said the older Hilton is right next to the bus terminal so it has easier airport connections, although it's only a $5 cab ride between the 2 hotels.

I haven't seen or heard of the Danube hotel until now, so I can't comment on it. All I can say is that I wouldn't recommend it due to its location, unless it's an amazing hotel with super cheapo rates or something.

Bottom line: if you want a newer, smaller hotel (I did) then the Plaza is worth the 15k extra.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I think we'll do the Plaza. While we're there, maybe we can check out the Danube property and report back here. I think it's more of a convention hotel from the description on the Hilton website.
Old Jan 14, 2002, 9:54 am
Suspended

The Vienna Plaza is superb! Every year I do a long weekend just before Christmas to do Christmas shopping and take in the wonderful Christmas markets around the city. Every year I return to the Hilton Plaza :-))

The Vienna Danube Hilton was previously a Crowne Plaza hotel and is a fair distance outside of the city.

Some other forum members have recently written about the Vienna Plaza:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000437.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002944.html

Old Jan 14, 2002, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Well, I'll definitely do a report on the Danube Hilton when I get back. Just got off the phone trying to book my 5-night HHonors stay in Vienna. Neither the Plaza nor the Vienna Hilton had rooms available for award stays. So we'll have to stay at the Danube.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 10:04 am

I am staying mid-june in Vienna and considering the Plaza.

How is a Diamond treated there? Are there good chances being upgraded to an Exec Suite on Saturday night?

[This message has been edited by strflyer (edited 06-09-2002).]
Old Jun 9, 2002, 11:38 am

I am looking forward to the Danube Hilton report since I might stay there for a couple of nights in mid August.

According to the information about the hotel they do offer free transportation to the city center.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Criscokid: are you sure the Danube Hilton was a Crowne Plaza? I wasn't aware of that.

The hotel is fairly recent - 10 years old? - and has been a Scandic and a Holiday Inn in its time and would not have come up to CP standards then.

(The current Crowne Plaza Vienna is by Donauinsel, also away from downtown.)
Old Aug 22, 2002, 4:02 pm

Hilton's in Vienna??

Anyone stay at any of the Hilton's in Vienna?

I will be staying at a Hilton with my HH points - any suggestions - Hilton Vienna, Hilton Vienna Plaza or Hilton Vienna Danube?? I am a HH Diamond Member so should get upgraded rooms in all.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
arawal, I'd suggest a search of 'Vienna' as these hotels have been discussed here several times in the past. As a short synopsis, the new Danube property is supposedly nice but the location is lacking as it's across the river not in the city center. The regular Hilton and the Plaza both have equally good locations near the city center. The Plaza is somewhat smaller but also newer and nicer. I had a wonderful stay at the Plaza, but from posts here the regular Hilton sounds good as well.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:15 am

Stayed at the Hilton Vienna, and thoroughtly enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to Executive floor (as gold members), very convenient location to both subway & bus station for transit to/from airport. Staff very courteous & professional.

Old Mar 1, 2003, 6:07 pm

Vienna, Austria: which hotel is nicer?

It seems that in Vienna H has three hotels. Which one is nicer, better condition, has nicer lounge? Also better location for couple days of site seeing?
Old Mar 1, 2003, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold

I would stay downtown if I could.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.