Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park {GBR}

Hi guys. Was anyone at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park? There is no review in the forum.

What can you say about this hotel? What do they have to offer for diamond members? How can one go to the hotel by public transport (coming from Leeds/Bradford airport, going to Manchester airport)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by OliverM
Hi guys. Was anyone at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park? There is no review in the forum.

What can you say about this hotel? What do they have to offer for diamond members? How can one go to the hotel by public transport (coming from Leeds/Bradford airport, going to Manchester airport)
Stayed here a couple of times recently and very pleased with it.

It has only recently joined Hilton, having been through several incarnations.

I understand that it was independent for a while and then went into administration at some point, whereupon Blackstone / Hilton stepped in.

Some maps show it as the Moat House Sheffield, elsewhere it is referred to as the Sheffield Park Hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...e_England.html

On each of my stays I have been upgraded as a diamond to a deluxe room, which have air con and large screen TV's.
They leave a small bottle of water and small plate with fruit / chocolates in the mini bar fridge, although I only found out by chance.

In room internet seems to be only wired, although wireless seems to be in the main public areas and presumably conference rooms etc. they give you an access code free as a Diamond, but I have had to ask for it each time.

Only used the restaurant for breakfast, both times it was not very busy, it was pleasant and also spacious around the serving area.

Parking on site is free and exit requires the access code displayed at reception.

The hotel location is quite far outside Sheffield city centre although buses pass by quite frequently.

Public transport between the airports you mention may well be possible but would be challenging in my opinion, particularly Manchester airport which although relatively close on the map, requires crossing some pretty remote hills.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:05 am

Dear OliverM,

The feedback from adobbing is very fair and I would also refer you to our Tripadvisor feedback.
If you have any other questions prior to your trip please let me know and I will search for the answers.

Regards

Steven - General Manager
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by DTSPGM
Dear OliverM,

The feedback from adobbing is very fair and I would also refer you to our Tripadvisor feedback.
If you have any other questions prior to your trip please let me know and I will search for the answers.

Regards

Steven - General Manager
Thanks Steven

My experience so far has been very favourable!

The couple of minor gripes I mention, are just that, minor!

I know in other hotels a one page generic letter is sometimes left in the room/ handed out at reception with Internet code etc on it, an idea maybe to consider?

Perhaps worth making some reference to the goodies in the fridge as well, I'm sure some may go undiscovered / to waste otherwise.

Other than that, keep up the good work and I look forward I staying with you again soon!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:02 pm
cjd

Stayed here a few weeks ago and was also quite pleased. Had dinner in the pleasant restaurant and food and service were very good. It was a Friday, so hotel was quite busy with a function in the ballroom, but bedrooms of the hotel are remote from that part of the hotel so no noise. Bedrooms appear to have been recently refurbished and beds are very comfortable. I'm finding that most of the new UK Doubletrees are much better than many of the older UK Hiltons (many of which were converted Stakis hotels.) As hotel is on the outskirts of Sheffield, I do feel you need a car to get the benefit of this hotel.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DTSPGM
Dear OliverM,

Regards

Steven - General Manager

Thanks, Steven. I am impressed that the GM takes time to write here. I will visit your hotel in December.

Could you maybe explain here in the forum how one can reach your hotel by public transport
- from Sheffield train station
- from Manchester airport
- from Leeds/Bradford airport

This might be a question of general interest for most non-UK residents
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, Steven. I am impressed that the GM takes time to write here. I will visit your hotel in December.

Could you maybe explain here in the forum how one can reach your hotel by public transport

I seem to recall a 43 and 53 bus passing the Hotel and stopping near the station.

This website may be of help with door to door public transport details uk wide; http://www.transportdirect.info/
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
I stayed there recently, as a gold. It wasn't mentioned at all, and I didn't even get offered a cookie!
As I recall the bathroom fan is unbelievably loud - I had a bath in the dark. I think the choice of TV channels was poor, with Sky channels not working, but I could be confusing that with some other hotel.

The beds are very nice, though.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:55 am

• Sheffield Train Station – walk across the street to the bus interchange . Can get any of the following buses to Meadowhead Roundabout: 43 43A 44 44A. These buses stop just outside the driveway to the hotel and run approximately every 10-15 mins Mon – Sat with a less frequent schedule on a Sunday.

• Manchester Airport – Taxi £65 1 way/£120 return or Train direct from Manchester Airport Transport Hub to Sheffield Train Station followed by bus from Sheffield Interchange

• Leeds/Bradford Airport – Taxi £60 1 way/£110 return or Train followed by bus from Sheffield Interchange or Bus #757 from Leeds/Bradford Airport to Leeds Train Station followed by Train to Sheffield and bus from Interchange

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:02 am

Dear Big-mac,

Apologies if you did not receive your cookie as this is the first thing you should get upon your arrival. A number of bathroom fans have been replaced due to being noisy and the full section of TV channels including Sky Sports 1-4 are all up and working after a technical problem with the digital switch over in this area.

Kind regards,

Steven
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I will be hopping back to Blighty in March for a job (in Alfreton, to be exact) and was scouting for a hotel in the vicinity.

The positive reviews and the fact that the GM is a FlyerTalker sold this one to me.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Exec, ANA, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by Motorskills
I will be hopping back to Blighty in March for a job (in Alfreton, to be exact) and was scouting for a hotel in the vicinity.

The positive reviews and the fact that the GM is a FlyerTalker sold this one to me.
I have stayed here twice before. I have another trip already booked - it is close to where i need to be.

Positives: inexpensive, Pool with sauna and steam.

Negatives: First time i visited staff service was poor, wrote to hilton, the manager of the hotel replied to say he would look into it. (I was blue or silver i think) Second time staff were very good. Maybe teething troubles as it was when the hotel had recently changed to a Hilton.

I have eaten in the restraunt on both occasions - service is slow (people seem to loiter around and chat - rather than serve) but the food is OK and relativily inexpensive.

I am now diamond, so when i stay in April - I will let you know if there have been further improvements.

Give it a try and post back.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Just checked in, impressed so far. The infrastructure is high-end, not sure how recent their renovation / build was. Minor downer that the rooms are wired rather than wireless. Wireless is available in the lounge and conference areas.

Greeting / check-in was warm and efficient. Also warm was the chocolate chip and walnut cookie.

Diamond benefits (today) are:
complimentary breakfast (presumably for two?!)
free internet (of course)
free newspaper (The Independent)
1000 HH points
50% bonus on base points
dinner offer (17.50GBP per person for three course meal, or 21.95 allowance towards a la carte).

Will update in due course.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Motorskills
J Minor downer that the rooms are wired rather than wireless. Wireless is available in the lounge and conference areas.
I had the same issue being an iDevice user!

I got one of these http://www.scan.co.uk/products/micro...ellers-delight a £15 solution!
You plug the network cable into this and the other end into their wired connection, the only other thing you need is a micro usb power supply/ charger and you then have your own wireless hotspot.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:31 am

Restaurant was pretty good, decent selections on both the set and a la carte menus.

Breakfast was excellent.

Got an upgrade to a junior suite which was nice (essentially a neighbouring room was converted into a lounge / diner).

Service overall was very good.

I noted that the General Manager was a "Steven", so I assume it is the same person who posted previously in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.