Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Converting a 3 night stay (same hotel) into 2 promo eligible stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold

I have a 3 night vacation in one location with my SO coming up. I'm entered in the Q4 promo (but this question applies to all promos in general) and I want to maximize my stay count (as opposed to total days). Because I'm traveling with my SO, hotel hopping is not an option.

If you book the middle day of a stay with HH reward points, would this allow the first and last stay to be eligible as individual stays? Despite Hilton's horrid IT issues, I'm guessing they have this well covered and the answer is no.

Any other options? I've never used my points credit card for a hotel stay, but perhaps I could book the middle night of the in my SO's name. SO is not going to qualify for any promos and travels infrequently. I assume I can't use my points to book a room in her name, right?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by reddirt14
If you book the middle day of a stay with HH reward points, would this allow the first and last stay to be eligible as individual stays? Despite Hilton's horrid IT issues, I'm guessing they have this well covered and the answer is no.
Still one stay.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:17 am

ask the property to check you out each day. have them REMOVE your HH# from the second day; you won't receive points for the second day, but if you only care about the stay count for this promo, that doesn't matter.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GatorNation
ask the property to check you out each day. have them REMOVE your HH# from the second day; you won't receive points for the second day, but if you only care about the stay count for this promo, that doesn't matter.
Or just don't even add the HH number to it. Make 3 one night reservations.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
That's a grat point. But if I use miles to book the middle part of the stay, my HH# would need to be on the reservation right? Or are the systems so anequatated that the hotel can remove my HH# from an awards stay?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It will be one stay.

A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again.

and

If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of HHonors Rewards points, the entire stay is considered a "Reward Stay"
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Most all the programs I've seen define a stay as consecutive nights regardless the number of check-ins/outs. So breaking up a paid stay with a reward stay should not matter. Of course some properties may mess this up and you'll get what you want, but don't count on it.

Now if you're feeling generous, book the second night in your SO's name and let them get credit for one of the three nights. At least then someone will get credit for the room, and maybe someday you can book a room under their account.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Most all the programs I've seen define a stay as consecutive nights regardless the number of check-ins/outs. So breaking up a paid stay with a reward stay should not matter. Of course some properties may mess this up and you'll get what you want, but don't count on it.

Now if you're feeling generous, book the second night in your SO's name and let them get credit for one of the three nights. At least then someone will get credit for the room, and maybe someday you can book a room under their account.
And hope the hotel doesn't just combine them anyway as one stay as you're both staying in the same room...as happened to us once when we tried to book as separate stays so we each got a stay credit. By the time we arrived the hotel had already combined the stays based on us living at the same address and we didn't feel like pushing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.