Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Times Square {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah dude, it isnt a secret, I have spent plenty of time crawling through Queens on that thing. At LGA you wait for the thing forever, and then it is mobbed as a million people try to chaotically push on. My main takeaways every time are that 1) I am never taking that bus again, and 2) I really need to get out and eat some South Asian food in that area, because there are so many awesome looking places. But business, personal, whatever, these days the cost savings are just not worth it to me, and I doubt to OP either.

Speaking to the greater discussion, of course, in most cities I use public transport to go to and from the airport. I was not being a snob, just realistic about the situation of the OP. London, Tokyo, Moscow, wherever, they're all great. Just not NYC.
Understood that the LGA bus service is not for everyone. Clearly though while not a secret, it is not something everyone knows about, including the OP perhaps. One could look at the "mobbed, chaotic" boarding as good prep work for the rest of the NYC experience. Maybe there's a Darwinian aspect of that at work...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Concerto
Remember, in New York you have to be streetwise. It's the Big Apple, baby!
Most any big city anywhere, in fact. The doorman may be doing you a favor, or he may be diverting you to a private car to get a tip. Definitely buyer beware.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by jburns513

Which subway goes all the way to an NYC airport? OP did not say London or Paris.
are you seriously trying to say that the AirTrain, whilst not actually a subway like the rest of the network, doesn't count? Come on.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ilcannone
are you seriously trying to say that the AirTrain, whilst not actually a subway like the rest of the network, doesn't count? Come on.
jburns513 was undoubtedly referring to the fact that taking the subway to or from JFK requires a (moderately inconvenient) transfer to a completely separate light rail system, as opposed to the far preferable direct air-city link that many airports offer.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
If you want to know if it is a private vehicle check the plates. All legitimate livery vehicles in NYC have plates that start with T and end with C.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Actually, if you walk from the subway station just one stop, a bit of a haul through the parking lot (ok with no luggage), you can pick up the AirTrain at its first station after leaving the subway interconnection and it would be free. 5 dollars saved!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by Kacee
jburns513 was undoubtedly referring to the fact that taking the subway to or from JFK requires a (moderately inconvenient) transfer to a completely separate light rail system, as opposed to the far preferable direct air-city link that many airports offer.
How is it "moderately inconvenient"? It seems Americans have a very different expectation of convenience than others. I cannot recall in any way shape or form how it is inconvenient.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:59 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
While there are subway options to get to a JFK Airtrain station, it's simpler (and faster) to take the LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica and making the easier transfer. The subway ride through Queens/Brooklyn is lengthy and can be crowded at rush hours.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:22 pm

Hilton Times Square - Diamond status - breakfast

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your advice on this. I booked a reservation through my Diamond account for my mom/stepdad + 2 siblings who are staying there now. I put my mom down as the 2nd person on the reservation, so they were able to check in.

Only issue is the free breakfast is apparently only available if I, the diamond member, am physically there.

Is there any way around this? Can they just walk into whatever breakfast area and eat if they act like they know what they're doing? lol Or will the hotel request some sort of ID or meal certificate? I haven't stayed at the hotel, so I'm just proposing an idea - not sure whether it's feasible or possible.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:20 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get your advice on this. I booked a reservation through my Diamond account for my mom/stepdad + 2 siblings who are staying there now. I put my mom down as the 2nd person on the reservation, so they were able to check in.

Only issue is the free breakfast is apparently only available if I, the diamond member, am physically there.

Is there any way around this? Can they just walk into whatever breakfast area and eat if they act like they know what they're doing? lol Or will the hotel request some sort of ID or meal certificate? I haven't stayed at the hotel, so I'm just proposing an idea - not sure whether it's feasible or possible.

Thanks again.
This is a property that gives out breakfast vouchers upon check-in. If both your names are on the room and she checks in, I don't see why they wouldn't give her the vouchers.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is a property that gives out breakfast vouchers upon check-in. If both your names are on the room and she checks in, I don't see why they wouldn't give her the vouchers.
When I called in, they said the diamond status member had to be there :-(
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I was just there in December. No one checks for ID. All they want is the voucher.

Keep in mind you only get 2 vouchers for the room per day. This hotel is very strict about that. You will have to pay for 2 of the breakfasts.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:46 pm

Only matters if they verify that fact.

No US Hilton property has asked me for ID in the past 5 years. YMMV*.

*Your morals may vary.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Bonvoy, Choice, IHG
I have yet to be asked for ID as a Diamond at breakfast. They've only asked for the name and room number.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Staley Cornell
I have yet to be asked for ID as a Diamond at breakfast. They've only asked for the name and room number.
As mentioned above they hand out Gold/Diamond vouchers at check-in for breakfast.. So yes you only need to give your name and room number, but you'll need the voucher to get the charge waived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.