Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge {US-CO}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge {US-CO}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski

...they do not sell lift tickets
... ski and boot valet
...All sorts of signs and warnings from front desk agents about not wearing ski boots in the lobby.
You'd think that lift ticket sales would be a profit center for the convenience of the guests, but I haven't been in the part of the country to ski for many years, so maybe online is the way to go.

Re: ski boots - you mention a ski/boot valet. The many times that I've been skiing and stayed in a hotel near the slopes, the expectation was that one does not wear boots in the property, but check the boots with the valet. I think ski boots are not any different than my fire boots that are not allowed to be worn in the living areas of my fire station. These boots can cause damage, certainly track dirt around, etc., just by the boots' unique design. And I think guests should certainly be reminded of this - either by signage or verbally for those that don't read signs.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
Here now, arrived two days ago, skied today. Asked at front desk, they do not sell lift tickets, told to ask the Breck Sports store which is now (post renovation) located on the second floor next to the ski and boot valet, one floor below the lobby. Asked there, they do not sell lift tickets, they recommended advance online purchase at the time of online ski rental for a discount.

New lobby and restaurant and two bars, one in the lobby and one in the restaurant, look very nice. Rooms are unchanged from the past few years. Unfortunately the management team remains completely unresponsive and uncaring. All sorts of signs and warnings from front desk agents about not wearing ski boots in the lobby. Management attitude makes this hotel an unappealing embarrassment. Very pleased to be using some Hilton Honors points and not my hard earned $$$.
thanks for the review and enjoy the slopes!🎿
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by lacoca
thanks for the review and enjoy the slopes!🎿
You’re very welcome.

Originally Posted by lamphs
… The many times that I've been skiing and stayed in a hotel near the slopes, the expectation was that one does not wear boots in the property, but check the boots with the valet. ….
The many times that I’ve stayed at a hotel or lodge or condominium near a lift or a trail, essentially “ski-in ski-out“, over the past 60 years, based on firsthand observation, the expectation on the part of many guests is that ski boots can be worn in and out of the room. Ski-in ski-out properties invariably charge a significant premium, part of that can easily go toward more frequent carpet replacement. Some properties have trays in the room specifically for boots and skis. At this hotel it’s very easy to wear ski boots in and out of the hotel through a side entrance and never wear ski boots in the lobby.

Originally Posted by lamphs
You'd think that lift ticket sales would be a profit center for the convenience of the guests, but I haven't been in the part of the country to ski for many years, so maybe online is the way to go. ..
Lift tickets were often available in lodging facilities 20 and 30 years ago. Perhaps the shift from one-time use paper/plastic tickets to chip/scannable card tickets and now Bluetooth smart phone tickets rendered that unfeasible.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
(1/23/24) … All sorts of signs and warnings from front desk agents about not wearing ski boots in the lobby. ...
When I was in high school I worked part-time as an usher at budget movie theater in metro NY area. 700 seat theater with a very small lobby, frequent lines waiting for the curtain. The was a sign prominently displayed in the lobby “city fire laws prohibit waiting in the lobby” which precluded many arguments, especially on a typical 20 degree winter night. BUT, there was no law, the manager just wanted to avoid arguments.

I wonder how much of the hotel’s “no ski boots in the lobby” is liability driven vs concern for damage to the flooring?

(3/6/23) Stayed at DT Breck (managed by Vail Resorts) 1-2 weeks ago. Very unpleasant experience prior to check-in with trying to request a room in a specific area of the hotel, unanswered voicemails and emails, no help with speaking with 2 different front desk agents prior to check-in, never able to speak with a manager during 4-5 calls prior to the stay and also during the 5 night stay. Was put in a room far from where I wanted to be.

Wrote a verbose email and sent it late Saturday night to many people; hotel manager, assistant manager, director of rooms, Vail Resorts CEO, Breckenridge COO. Received a reply an hour later from Vail Resorts Hospitality COO, who had the email forwarded by and discussed it with Vail Resorts CEO. Just spoke with him for 45 minutes (while I’m at Hyatt Place Park City).

He agreed that my original request was reasonable and that the hotel’s response was terrible. Long story short, he’s going to ensure the hotel refunds 3 nights.

But, most importantly (as was mentioned to me a few times while I was at the hotel) immediately after ski season the hotel will commence a significant renovation. The hotel staff told me it would be rebranded as a Conrad, the Hospitality COO told me it would be rebranded as a Curio by Hilton. Nothing they can do about the convoluted floor layout and multiple elevators (it’s built on the side of a hill).

Stay last week was otherwise similar to other recent reviews: great location (for skiing Breck), dated property in need of refurbishment, worker bee staff excellent, no bedbugs or mold (as was recently reported in some reviews). Excellent Diamond breakfast benefit; full breakfast buffet including omelet station.
(1/23/24) Here now, arrived two days ago, skied today. …

New lobby and restaurant and two bars, one in the lobby and one in the restaurant, look very nice. Rooms are unchanged from the past few years. Unfortunately the management team remains completely unresponsive and uncaring. All sorts of signs and warnings from front desk agents about not wearing ski boots in the lobby. Management attitude makes this hotel an unappealing embarrassment. Very pleased to be using some Hilton Honors points and not my hard earned $$$.
Unfortunately I had a nearly identical experience this year (as last year) regarding my quest for a room in a certain area of the hotel. This year I was able to speak with a “Leadership Consultant” one night and the GM (same as last year who has never replied to any of my 6-8 emails) the next night. Both agreed that my request was reasonable and the hotel had failed in its basic guest responsibilities.

A couple of weeks after the stay I emailed them suggested that Service Recovery compensation would be in order. No reply, emailed again 2 weeks later, no reply. My total credit card charge this year was $25, a $5 tip each morning at breakfast. Somehow they refunded $20 to my credit card during those 2 weeks.

2 days ago, about 3 weeks after sending the initial email, I received a voicemail from the hotel’s Director of Sales and Marketing. I was so surprised, that I called her back immediately even though it was my lunch break during day of skiing (Park City). We spoke for 45 minutes ending at 2pm, I didn’t even go back out skiing, a sin in my book . Anyway, most significantly she explained why the GM had not replied to my emails. The GM had been terminated a week or 2 prior, in my book a well deserved firing. They’re searching for an experienced “luxury hospitality” replacement. The Director of Sales will be buying me and a friend dinner in the new restaurant in 10 days while we’re spending 6 nights at Beaver Run (condos next door). I’ll certainly post here anything noteworthy I learn. Oh yeah, she also refunded all the 250K Hilton Honors points I used for this year’s stay.

BTW, before I forget, couple of noticeable changes this year with the new restaurant. The breakfast buffet food area is smaller and a little dysfunctional (a small dining-room side-room) in that if 2 or 3 people are serving themselves they’ll be in each other’s way. Unsure if they still have an omelet station with buffet breakfast which I did each day (complimentary for Diamonds). The wonderful, tasty, not-at-all-fattening , gooey, delicious cinnamon buns are unfortunately a thing of the past.

Addendum re: “… Director of Sales will be buying me and a friend dinner in the new restaurant in 10 days … I’ll certainly post here anything noteworthy I learn. … wonderful, tasty, not-at-all-fattening , gooey, delicious cinnamon buns are unfortunately a thing of the past.”

The dinner was okay, nothing special from a dining point of view.

She said the hotel will close in mid-March so ~100 construction crew can live in the hotel cause there’s heavy competition for construction workers in the area.

She introduced the Hotel’s Executive Chef, who was recruited from another property a few years ago and brought the cinnamon bun recipe to the hotel, they both implied that the cinnamon buns might return when the property reopens as a Curio hopefully in November.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Apr 6, 2024 at 6:49 pm Reason: addendum, avoid consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.