Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge {US-CO}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Breckenridge {US-CO}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Curious if anyone has stayed at the Breckenridge DT in the past few months. I seem to recall reading that the hotel was doing a multi-year significant renovation and that individual room overhauls were planned for the summer of 2013.

I stayed at the hotel in January of 2012 and January 2013 and I’d echo the comments above. I’ve avoided the multi-elevator shenanigans by requesting and getting a room near the 4th floor side entrance which is most convenient for getting to and from the slopes. Room numbers 456-462 and 566-572 (one flight up from exit) are desirable in that regard, higher numbers being the closest to the exit and staircase. (461 and 462 are closest but in the past they have been accessible rooms and thus no closet.) Since lobby is on the 3rd floor, these rooms are just 1 or 2 flights up from the lobby, which I find to be much more convenient (and marginally more healthy) than waiting for a slow elevator. (Although they “prohibit” it, I keep my skis and boots in my room, so the side entrance is highly desirable.)

Sure wish those darned (basically addictive) cookies weren’t so calorie dense!

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jan 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:07 pm

Recent Stay

I recently just stayed here at the Breck DT using most of my HHonors points that I had left since deval. I went with two other people and I was able to get the two king beds ^ which was nice to have the space. Was put on the 7th floor so I didn't have to use multiple elevators as the 7th is the top level of the first elevator. Skiing conditions were great while there. Ski valet, car valet, and the shuttle to town were all great. There were younger "kids" running those services who we all joked with all week and they really helped make the stay. As gold I did not get charged the resort fee, I believe it is $28/day for parking, internet, etc. which was a great surprise as I figured with the lack of parking in the area close by I would have to pay. All in all a good value that is close to the slopes and would recommend for a good time skiing but not really luxury if that is what you are looking for.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I too stayed here (again) recently. Resort fee is $20 per day, not waived for golds, waived for award stays. My room had been recently remodeled, had 2 kings and a big easy chair with an ottoman, small frig and sink area outside the bathroom. Breakfast for golds has changed. There is a separate room, adjacent to the main restaurant, where the gold (? other elites) continental breakfast, with what looked like minimal choices, was served.

Young staff who are enthusiastic and motivated although not necessarily the epitome of customer service. I did eat more of the check-in cookies than I can count, they are very agreeable to frequent requests for “another cookie”, was even offered 2 at check-out for the drive back to Denver.

I spoke with a front desk manager the night I arrived and asked if I could again (as in the past) have the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant and only pay the difference between the continental breakfast buffet ($16) and the full breakfast buffet ($22). I was told to speak with one of the restaurant managers. I did so and was told I could do as I requested. Each morning for the next 3 mornings, in the main restaurant, I had the full hot breakfast and was charged only $6 each day, I did have to explain it each day to the wait staff prior to the check being generated.

The full buffet is a bit limited (more so than in the recent past) but more than adequate for my purposes. Fresh cut cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, uncut apples, oranges, bananas, one or 2 flavors of yogurt, 2 types muffins, breads, bagels, croissants, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage and one other rotating hot dish (blintzes, biscuits/gravy, waffles) each day. A few other items but not quite a Vegas style or more extensive breakfast buffet. No omelet station anymore.

Still agree with the common assessments of this property. Not 5 star, staff has some shortcomings, but an excellent value, and LOCATION, for the price. I’ve booked government rates in the past, this year the MVP rate was best, $119 plus $20 resort fee plus about $16 taxes each night. For almost ski-in/ski-out (actually a 3 minute 100 yard walk across a street and through a small parking lot) at a destination ski resort in Colorado this was a great deal.

Most importantly, this year they had GREAT snow. Last year I left a day early due to bitter cold and minimal snow, this year I tried to extend for another night. Breckenridge has opened another new peak, with above tree line intermediate skiing so if that’s your cup of tea it’s very nice.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:14 am

We will be staying at this property in a few weeks and wanted to request a room location. I can't find a map of the hotel, but based on what I've read, should I request a room on the fourth floor near the 4th floor side entrance, which is most convenient for getting to and from the slopes. The property seems fairly spread out, so I don't want to mess up the request when I email them.

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I'm bringing my father along for some skiing, and want to minimize the hassles for him.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:24 pm

This hotel is now a level 8 which is a joke.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
In the summer it is a joke, in the winter it might be worth it due to location. But, overall this hotel is pretty run down and in need of a major refresh. We stayed a couple nights in June and even at the MVP rate of $119 plus $20 resort fee, it wasn't worth it. There wasn't AC or heat, so the room would get really hot during the day and cold at night. We were "upgraded" to a room on the 6th floor, but due to the layout it was only about 10 feet off the ground and we had a nice view of condo complex next door.

I wouldn't return.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
That seems to be a function of it being desirable for rewards travel, as opposed to being a high priced hotel
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United
Angry Hotel is a dump

I stayed here in the summer of 2014. It is a dump. Dirty room service dished in the hallways. No presence of management. No air conditioning in rooms. Broken screens on windows. They overcharge for parking.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Is Late Dec. okay for skiing here?

I am considering staying here in late Dec. on points to go snow skiing. There are mixed reviews on both FT and TA. If I lower my expectations on the hotel is it okay for skiing/location?

Is there enough snow in late December for beginner level skiing? My WN Companion Pass expires at the end of the year so I am trying to squeeze this trip in this year (instead of pushing it to Feb. 2016).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:06 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
We stayed there five nights last week.

For skiing, especially with family, this hotel is perfectly fine (if you are not expecting a world-class hotel experience). We had a relatively large room on eight floor with two king beds. It was clean and beds were comfortable. There is the issue with elevators, of course. However, only one morning did we spend slightly longer time waiting for one.

Breakfast was very good (great bacon), and always enough to last us long until late afternoon.

Service is usually quite OK, and every one seemed to have a very positive attitude ("Awesome." I know some people can't stand this.) There were some minor things forgotten etc., but everything was taken care of very quickly once they were pointed out.

But the main thing is skiing, and there's only a two-minute walk through the parking lot to the slope. On the way back you could just leave your skis to the ski valet at the edge of slope and walk to hotel.

Sorry, don't know about skiing in December.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I stay at the Breck DT a few times each year, always a good experience with friendly staff. You can walk a few hundred feet to the ski area, and even walk into town if you choose. The only negative I can think of is the multiple elevator rides in order to get to the top floors, and the limited parking in the garage. At times its necessary to valet, as they don't have enough for self parking.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:23 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
We walked into the town every night.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: HH <>, B6 mosaic
I stayed in February of 2015. The hotel was decent but not what I'm accustomed to based on the number of points required (348,000 for 6 nights). The room was clean and large but didn't feel overly lavish. The layout of the hotel is hard to understand until you get there. It's stepped into the hill which results in the two sets of elevators. You definitely want a room as low as possible. I only had to ride one set of elevators to the 5th floor and I walked most of the time.

I received complementary full breakfast as a gold. There were eggs, meat, pancakes, bread items, cereal, oatmeal, and some simple fruit. The coffee they serve is Starbucks which is nice. The breakfast area got crowded during the week I was there. It seemed like they didn't have enough servers or enough seats in the restaurant. Everyone was using the buffet but there would be a line if you didn't get there right when the restaurant opened on certain days.

I did not have to pay for valet, self parking, or the resort fee since I was on a reward stay. I used self parking so I wouldn't have to tip the valet guys since I'm cheap. I used the valet ski service. They'll either bring your skis across the street to the nearest trail or leave them out front. I carried them back across the street at the end of the day because I felt like they would get stolen from their ski rack.

One of the hot tubs didn't have bubbles during the week I was there. I didn't find them terribly crowded but sometimes they were busy and 4-5 people had to sit in them.

The walk to downtown isn't very far; I'd recommend going downtown for drinks or food over their restaurant. I never tried the food but it seemed expensive compared to what was available in a 5-10 minute walk.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Staying here this weekend. Was too slow to book the two kings, so booked two queens (hotel says room size is the same). Got upgraded to two queens with mountain view (via phone call) so hope to see if we can get the two kings with mtn view at check in.

Hotel stated that breakfast is supposed to be for two only (which it is per HH T&C but allowed us to get 4 breakfasts). ^

Apparently only two min walk to lifts for Peak 9. If only it wasn't 40K per night with points, never seen a discount on their prem rooms even in off season.

Look forward to the breakfast and waived resort fee.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:31 am

Question

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Staying here this weekend. Was too slow to book the two kings, so booked two queens (hotel says room size is the same). Got upgraded to two queens with mountain view (via phone call) so hope to see if we can get the two kings with mtn view at check in.

Hotel stated that breakfast is supposed to be for two only (which it is per HH T&C but allowed us to get 4 breakfasts). ^

Apparently only two min walk to lifts for Peak 9. If only it wasn't 40K per night with points, never seen a discount on their prem rooms even in off season.

Look forward to the breakfast and waived resort fee.
So how was your stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.