Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh Airport {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh Airport {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh Airport {GBR} (formerly Hilton)

Hi,

I stayed there for one night on Saturday 6th April ( £74 GBP for one night dinner, bed and breakfast) as a cheap night to boost my number of stays (HHonors Gold member)

My review;

The hotle is beside Edinburgh airport ( courtesy transport provided ) but it was a nice spring day and it is only a 5minute walk from the terminal and with only a hold all I walked.
Check in was easy but no upgrade or amenity was offered and I was on the ground floor (154)at the far end of the corridor and round acouple of corners. I watched the Grand National then went to the Living Well fitness centre and pool on site.THe fitness room is large with a laorge number of machines and the pool area is very laorge with a lane marker down th middle so people who want to do laps can ( 20m pool). There is also a spa, solarium (extra charge) and sauna. Lockers take £1 coins.
After showering I went to the Cafe D'Havilland for dinner ( included in the rate). The menu sates that for people on the inclusive rate the allowance is £19.
One look at the menu and I realised that the limit was going to be brached by £5-6 but that was ok.
I had a fruit kebab ( very nice), 10oz rump stake with vegeables and fries(£2 extra exch), a creme de menthe ice cream bombe and a cafe latte and with a diet coke came to £26 . The food was good but srervice towards the end was slow( for the desert, coffeeand the bill) and for people coming in at 8pm they were told that the chef had left and that the mussels and t bone steak were not available which i found a bit strange.
After dinner as I walked back to my room I smelt cigarette smoke in the corridor and in my room noticed an ash tray and a cigarete burn in my duvet cover.
I asked at recepption if my room was non smoking and was told that it was smoking. They said that they were not aware of any special requests for a non smoking room but I dug out my Hilton com reservation where it said " Non Smoking confirmed" and Pamela (check in ) said it was odd. To her credit she offered me another room (251) which I accepted and offered to help me with my cases which i declined as I only had one hold all.
Upon reaching 251 i found that it was a diabled "accessible room" with emergency cords by the bath , toilet and bed low bathroom sink red light to alert peoplec of visitors at the door . I found the bathroom sink to be to low when shaving in the morning ( not surprising)together with the toliet paper roll being too low down and when i woke up in the middle of the night I almost puuled the emergency cord ( that would have been interesting )
I found the TV to be very poor with only the 5 uk terrestrial channels , no CNN,no sports or Sky news ( in fact the fewest channels in any Hilton that i have been to) The tv and telephone did not offer a wake up facility so I phoned reception for a wake up call.
A copy of the bill was not posted under my door in the morning although The moring paper was by my door when i left for breakfast and the buffet was good with ceral, fruit, cold meats, hot brakfast items including smoked salmon fish cakes juices and breads.

After another workout I went to check out only to find that the rate quoted was £108( £34 more than quoted on the email). Again I showed Pamela ( check out) my email confirmation and to her credit adjusted the bill immediately with on questions ( taking a copy of the email). She offered to arrange the lift back to the airport but it was a nice day so I walked to get the Airlink bus back into Edinburgh.
An interesting feature is that the vending machines are operated by swiping your room key card to get drinks ( coke at £1 a can etc) which I found unusual.
The rooms are of the usual Hilton standard with trouser press, iron writing table, a/c and the bathroom was poorly equiped comared with other Hiltons ( only soap, shampoo and shower gel) compared to other Hiltons with relaxing water,lotion and conditioner ( I did not notice a facecloth either).
The rooms and bathroom were clean.

Overall even with the price paid (compared with other Hiltons at the same price, I was disapointed with the level of amenities, no visible recognition for HHonors Gold and the couple of mistakes and I have commented upon this in the comment card.

Overall unless you needed to be at the airport I would probably choose another Hilton. The probem is the Caledonian tends to be expensive and the Grosvenor does not have a health club.

I have learned from now on to confirm the rate and non smoking room at check in and to take your email confrimation with you as it is becoming more like the Amex card ( do not leave home with out it!! )

Thanks for bearing with me.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 7, 2002, 4:52 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Great report! Having had a recent stay at the Caledonian, I would eat beans for a month to make sure I stay there if ever I'm lucky enough to return to Edinburgh!
Old Apr 8, 2002, 7:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Just shows you the difference in service that people get at the same hotel.
I have stayed there on MANY occasions going for status and the service i have had is completely the opposite.

Firstly if you are looking for a good rate give Hotelconnections in Dunblane a call (01786 825 407)their rates are £40 B+B and £70 DBB for the room.
Having stayed there on these rates as Gold and lately Diamond 90% of the time it has been a "Clubbed up" room with Pringles chips, fruit, bottled water and a bottle of wine.

Maybe its just bad luck on your behalf on this occasion.

Cheers

Alan
Old Apr 8, 2002, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Mr. Banking Scot, sir.

Do you have any knowledge of Glasgow hotels? I am currently trying to decide between one of the Hilton properties and that other major chain that begins with M. Despite my status with Hilton, I'm leaning toward the M******* property for location. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi yyzflyer,

In terms of location both the Glasgow Hilton and the M*******(Marriott- oh my! I have said the 'M'word!! ) are right next to each other beside the M8 motorway ( Hilton faces East/West, Marriott faces North/South) both are close to Sauchiehall street (shooping) and the airport bus runs close by.Both will not win prizes for views with both offering views of the motorway and the river although the Hilton will face towards the university.
Rooms are good at both and quiet (cannot hear the motorway)Sports facilites at both are good.Buffet breakfast are good at both( i stayed at the Marriott before discovering the joys of double dipping!!
The executive lounge at the Hilton is good with good afternoon tea at the weekend.As a Gold I was not upgraded but the hotel was completely full adn check in did check to see if there were any ugraded rooms available)
As the location is the same for both hotels unless there was a gread price difference I would go to the Hilton Glasgow.

I do not know much about the other Hilton in Glasgow (the Grosvenor)(along Great western Road) apart from it being further out and with no swimmimg pool or fitness facilites i think .

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 04-09-2002).]
Old Apr 9, 2002, 8:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:
Hi yyzflyer,

In terms of location both the Glasgow Hilton and the M...

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 04-09-2002).]
</font>
Thank you. I was hoping to walk (with family and luggage) from Central station along Argyle Street to the hotel. Is this too far? The Hilton just doesn't show up on the city map I have, whereas the other hotel does. For the weekend in question, the "M" rate is half the Hilton rate and it sounds as if I will not be upgraded at the Hilton. Also, Hilton advises their standard rooms cannot accomodate a party of 3 - one of whom is a child, although I've found many Hiltons in the U.K. say this whether they can or not.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 11:00 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
yyzflyer - When are you going to GLA? I'm booked at the Glasgow Hilton for three nights in a couple of weeks flying out of YYZ. I'm paying with HH Points so I don't know the room cost, bu the location seems fine. I'd hop a taxi from Central station - I've never had a complaint from a cab driver in Glasgow about short little trips in the city center - even when only a pound or two,

Larry
Old Apr 9, 2002, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

There is also a train from GLasgow Central Low Level that stops at Anderston( just beside the marriott and down from the Hilton) but as the previous poster said it is probably better with luggage and a child just to take a taxi from the Central Station( less than £5).
I think that you would be lucky to get 3 people into a standard room as they did not have a sofa bed.(You might ask for a rollaway).If the hotel was not full then as a Gold you would probably get an upgrade but you may not wish to take the risk

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 9, 2002, 3:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Larrude:
yyzflyer - When are you going to GLA? I'm booked at the Glasgow Hilton for three nights in a couple of weeks flying out of YYZ.

Larry
</font>
Late July. It's part of a larger trip to the U.K. It will be the first time with the family rather than on business. We've never been to Scotland at all (despite my wife's ancestry) and unfortunately will not have enough time to fully appreciate the visit with only 2 days. We're flying in further south and taking the train to Glasgow. (I'm a bit of a train nut.) We chose Glasgow over Edinburgh for better train connections and hotel locations relative to the train station. Any suggestions for things to see or do in relative proximity to the Hilton/M*******, including walking or bus tours, would be much appreciated.

Tentatively we're booked at that hotel across the street from the Hilton at a rate of 54GBP including breakfast and VAT. They guarantee a room with two double beds - something the Hilton won't do for twice the price. Unfortunately I have only Silver status with M, as opposed to Gold with Hilton. If I could be confident of an upgrade I might switch.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That is a very good rate for the M ( good pool there too.)

Will provide details of what to do in Glasgow tommorrow ( time for bed here in the UK and it has been a long day)

Planning on going to Toronto,Montreal and Niagara Falls in June for two weeks

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 9, 2002, 8:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:

Planning on going to Toronto,Montreal and Niagara Falls in June for two weeks

Regards

TBS
</font>
If you need any information about my home turf, don't hesitate to ask. June is a very pleasant month in Southern Ontario.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 4:49 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
yyzflyer

The train service on the East Coast (London to Edinburgh) is much better, much quicker and much more reliable!! From The main Edinburgh Waverley station the Hilton Caledonian is a short bus or taxi ride, or from Edinburgh's second station, Haymarket, the Hilton Grosvenor is 2 minutes walk away. Most London to Edinburgh trains terminate at Edinburgh Waverley although a few that continue to Aberdeen stop at Haymarket. The journey from Waverley to Haymarket takes about 3 minutes. If the London train terminates then there are other trains every few minutes.

If it is your first time in Scotland then I would receommend Edinburgh. There is much more to see - Edinburgh Castle, Royal Mile, The Royal Yacht Britannia, etc, etc. Check out www.edinburgh.org for more details.

I have stayed in both the Marriott and Hilton in Glasgow and prefer the Hilton. As Gold and Diamond I have always been upgraded and allowed lounge access. The only problem with both hotels is their location. They are on the edge of the City Centre and as it is mainly offices in this area it gets quite quiet in the evenings and can be a bit intimidating. I'm a 6 ' 1" former Rugby Prop Forward and I don't really enjoy walking around there at night! If you do stay there get a taxi back late at night.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 8:50 pm

Thanks for the advice Gaza. There must be something on in Edinburgh for the dates I need, as the hotels are all either sold out or very expensive. We'll probably stick with Glasgow, but you've got me a little concerned about the area now. I'm not planning to rent a car, so it will be taxis for sure. Actually with a 10 year-old along we probably won't be venturing far in the evening anyway.

Our banking friend who started this post was going to get back to me with some advice for sightseeing in Glasgow and I would welcome your input as well.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi ,

Sorry for the delay- busy at work.

Some Glasgow suggestions

The Burrell Collection in Polock Park
THe University of Glasgow and Hunterston Art Gallery
Buchanan Galleries (shopping)
Loch Lomond is nearby.
Glasgow Green
The museum of Transport at Kelvinbridge
Botanical Gardens at Hillhead

any others I will let you know

Regards
TBS
Old Apr 11, 2002, 3:29 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
There must be something on in Edinburgh for the dates I need, as the hotels are all either sold out or very expensive.</font>
Probably nothing special on. Just the norm for Edinburgh in Summer! Late July is a very popular time. If you are not too fusy about staying in a full service hotel there are a few very good limited-service/3-Star chains very close to the centre of Edinburgh. All are modern with large rooms, full en-suite facilities and provide sofa-beds. The main ones that spring to mind are the Travel Inn, Travelodge and Jury's Inn. Jury's Inn is directly behind Waverley Station, 3 minutes walk away. The Travelodge another 5 or so minutes away in the same direction. The Travel Inn is close to Haymarket Station and again is an easy 5 minutes walk.

You can check price (typically they are around £50 per night) and availability at:-

www.jurys.com
www.travelodge.co.uk
www.travelinn.co.uk

I often stay in these types of hotels and I have never been disappointed. They are always of a very high standard and sometimes put full-service hotels to shame! If you are not fussy for 24 hour room service, porters or other expensive trimmings then they are the places to go for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.