Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Tampa, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near Tampa, Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Stay away from the Westshore Doubletree - had some bad stays there.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:49 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Stayed there last week - it was a great rate and the nice bed. It is a dumpy area though.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Originally Posted by pmaddock

DITTO. IT IS A HELL HOLE>
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rnovak
Doubletree at Rocky Pointe is my personal favorite.
Mine too.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pmaddock
If you have to do Westshore across the street is a decent marriott. If not do the Double tree suites rocky point.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Looks like there is a new embassy suites coming in August near the convention center. Too late my trip in may.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:06 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Had a very nice stay here in February,

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/p...&moreDesc=true

Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore

free shuttle from airport, free schedule shuttle to the Mall across the street, and within 12 minutes walking distance to McDonald's, Liquor store, Gas station.

A very nice upscale place, in my opinion.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:47 am

I stayed at all three places mentioned (Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore, Doubletree Westshore and Doubletree Tampa Bay @ Rocky Point) within one week end of last year.
Stay away from Doubletree Westshore, the other two hotels are MUCH better.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:27 pm

Question Current TAMPA Info Please

We are going to Tampa soon and I have questions regarding 4 Hilton properties there. I did a search in the archives but found dated information on the places I'm considering. We'll be there for two 2-night separate stays with our 21 year-old son. One stay we'll mainly need a place to sleep, the other stay we'll spend a little more time at the hotel. Do any of you have recent experience with any of these spots?

Embassy Suites, Busch Gardens (Is it worth the considerably higher price?)

Doubletree, Busch Gardents (I read terrible reviews from this forum from a few years ago,but at another online opinon site I read some good reviews from the past year so I wondered if they've rennovated or something)

Hampton Inn, W. Water Ave.

Hampton Inn, Hidden River Parkway

Thanks so much!

Kay
Old Apr 17, 2006, 1:45 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by kkid
Embassy Suites, Busch Gardens (Is it worth the considerably higher price?)

Doubletree, Busch Gardents (I read terrible reviews from this forum from a few years ago,but at another online opinon site I read some good reviews from the past year so I wondered if they've rennovated or something)Kay
Hi Kay,

I don't have current info on any but these two. I normally stay at the ES when working at the nearby Moffitt Cancer Center, but I would not defend the high price for a family vacation. The positives are good suites around a very nice central lobby that features running streams and lots of vegetation, great complimentary breakfast and a rather liberal free "happy hour" which is fine for us business road-warriors after a hard day, but big drinks may not appeal to you, and it's quite a walk down to anywhere with resaurants and shops.

Recently (January) I tried the DT in the same general neighborhood (just south of Fowler, so a bit closer to Busch Gardens) to see what the cheaper property would be like.
I always like their cookies!
Initially I was a bit disappointed, as it's an older property with smaller rooms, but I soon warmed up to the place. Nice outdoor pool and hot tub with water features and a cute tiki bar for the free happy hour. They have a restaurant in the central courtyard, but it appeared to be closed for some reason (renovations they said but no work was being done) so I was given free breakfasts at a good restaurant right next door. The staff were very nice, the best wireless internet reception was on the pool deck, (as I tried to explain to my boss) fresh coffee was always available in the lobby and there were lots of good places to eat on Fowler, just a couple of blocks away, and close to the University Mall.

On balance, I'm going to save a few bucks and some walking time and stay at the Doubletree when I'm in that area of Tampa. If you are not visiting the University/Busch Gardens there is not really much there and you might find better places to stay in Tampa.

Sure a darn sight safer than Ybor City though!

Have a great trip!

Commander Bob
Love those DT cookies!
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:11 am

Commander Bob,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. We just returned from our Tampa trip so I thought I'd report on our experiences. It turned out that we stayed in both the Embassy Suites and Double Tree near Busch Gardents, 2 nights each place. We had a nice room at the ES and were given an upgrade because of Diamond status. I thought the room could use some updating, but overall it was a pleasant stay. The breakfast was nice with lots of choices, but we weren't around for happy hour so I can't comment on that. I thought the price of the room was pretty high, though.

Unfortunately, I wasn't happy with our experience at the DT. I can see that the place has lots of potential but our experience had too many negatives for me to recommend it. Here are some of the problems:
room smelled funky
wet spot around the bar (called maintenance and he said it was from the frig defrosting and he could either bring in towels to blot it or could brind in big fans)
handle fell off the cupboard which housed the micro and frig and it was very difficult to open without the handle--front desk promised to send maintenance to fix it, but no one ever came)
maid service was poor--all they did was make the beds and replace towels. No new glasses or vacuuming.
Young teens ran up and down the corridor outside our room until well after midnight, yelling and playing some kind of tag game.
Train whistle woke us up at 5:30 AM--just kept going and going
TV remote controls didn't work very well, even after maintenance replaced batteries
It wasn't convenient for us to walk to the restaurant next door for a sit-down breakfast because we were in a hurry to get out the door early each morning.
No acknowledgement of Diamond status

So, while with any one of these things I probably wouldn't give the place a negative review (with the exception of the smell) there were just too many little things that added up to a sub-par stay.

My husband reminded me that the room was only $105 compared with $189 at the ES so what did I expect, but I think even a less expensive hotel could do better. Having said that, I will say that for the price and location I could see how the place could appeal to familes. The pool area is pleasant and it's easy to get in and out of the hotel quickly. The rooms could easily sleep 6 in beds. The place has lots of potential and could be a great place to stay if they took care to fix a few problems.

kkid

PS Regarding the safety of the area--One afternoon we were at the hotel for a couple of hours and my husband and son wanted to watch a basketball game so I said I'd drive over to the nearby mall. My 21 year-old son just spent 2 years in the Tampa area and he told me I shouldn't go alone because it wasn't a great area. I thought that was ridiculous because I go all over LA and really anywhere I want to go. I was getting ready to go against his protests and I looked up the mall online to see what stores were at the mall. I came across a site where people gave their opinions of the mall, and in each one they mentioned the need for more security in the mall. A couple said they wouldn't go at night or alone. So, I begrudgingly decided not to go.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:21 pm

Anything new on the DT Suites in Tampa? I will be staying there in a couple weeks and want to make sure this is where I should stay. I stayed at the regular DT on Cypress and I can say this is the worst hotel I've stayed at in a long time. They say they are renovating but I sure don't see where. I was upgraded to the towers 8th floor and wall paper was falling down and the place just needed to be fixed.

I would only stay there overnight awaiting a flight but not any multiple nights.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NCRBILL
Anything new on the DT Suites in Tampa? I will be staying there in a couple weeks and want to make sure this is where I should stay. I stayed at the regular DT on Cypress and I can say this is the worst hotel I've stayed at in a long time. They say they are renovating but I sure don't see where. I was upgraded to the towers 8th floor and wall paper was falling down and the place just needed to be fixed.

I would only stay there overnight awaiting a flight but not any multiple nights.
Local residents perhaps are the last who should give recommendations about hotels, but I am not overly impressed with the DT suites either.

Unless you need to be close to the general area I would recommend you book the new Hilton St Petersburg-Carillon Park whic is about 10 minutes away ( an easy two exits off of 1-275 on ) and is quite nice, by far the nicest Hilton probably on the FL west coast.

Depending on your dates there also a new ES opening very soon downtown Tampa, adjacent to the Convention center, a check on Hilton.com shows they are accepting reservations starting Nov 9th.

mike
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Have stayed at the HGI in Ybor twice and I found it quite nice - HUGE rooms. Also, on my last stay there, I did a horribly stupid thing - when I got in my car in the morning to go to my business appt - I left my suitcase in the parking lot and my laptop was in it. In my defense, my dog had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away the night before and between that and the nonstop traveling I had been doing for two weeks, I was just not thinking clearly apparently. I did not realize it until I had actually left my meeting and was on my way back to Orlando - around 2ish. I turned around and went back to the hotel and sure enough, they had my suitcase - perfectly intact, nothing was missing, including my laptop. So, they apparently have some honest employees.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Donna D
Have stayed at the HGI in Ybor twice and I found it quite nice - HUGE rooms. Also, on my last stay there, I did a horribly stupid thing - when I got in my car in the morning to go to my business appt - I left my suitcase in the parking lot and my laptop was in it. In my defense, my dog had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away the night before and between that and the nonstop traveling I had been doing for two weeks, I was just not thinking clearly apparently. I did not realize it until I had actually left my meeting and was on my way back to Orlando - around 2ish. I turned around and went back to the hotel and sure enough, they had my suitcase - perfectly intact, nothing was missing, including my laptop. So, they apparently have some honest employees.

The HGI Ybor is fine (typical HGI) except on weekends when Ybor turns into Tampa's version of Bourbon Street ( some streets are blocked for vehicles) then getting to the hotel at night might be pain.
Plus certain weekends when they have parades etc the entire area is blocked off.

mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.