Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Strasbourg {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:37 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Anyone stay here recently and can provide an update on the experience? Is the EL open over the weekends?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Steve_19
Anyone stay here recently and can provide an update on the experience? Is the EL open over the weekends?
My last stays were 2016. Once I got an executive room that was so incredibly dated that I had to complain sending them pictures. The next time I got a slightly better room, as they promised it to me, but I had to state that they probably have no really good rooms. The breakfast is average. The so called Executive Lounge on the ground floor was empty (no guests, no offerings) when I recognized it last time and entered with key card. But maybe it was something provisoric. This hotel does not bring honor to Hilton. I stay there sometimes half way when driving to Paris, on cash or points.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:16 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by submonte
My last stays were 2016. Once I got an executive room that was so incredibly dated that I had to complain sending them pictures. The next time I got a slightly better room, as they promised it to me, but I had to state that they probably have no really good rooms. The breakfast is average. The so called Executive Lounge on the ground floor was empty (no guests, no offerings) when I recognized it last time and entered with key card. But maybe it was something provisoric. This hotel does not bring honor to Hilton. I stay there sometimes half way when driving to Paris, on cash or points.
Thanks!

We recently stayed as well - I agree the rooms were pretty dated, along with the rest of the hotel.

In general we thought the hotel was fine by itself, but not a great value for elite members as the breakfast each morning in the restaurant was pretty lackluster and the executive lounge was just so-so (but now on the seventh floor so at least a view).

We did not think the location was too bad as was close to a tram stop to get downtown in around 15-20 minutes total.

Some pictures of the hotel: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...on-strasbourg/
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Miles and Smiles, Miles and More
A short update on the hotel as I stay there quite regularly.
True, it is not the newest or best furnished Hilton hotel ever but for Strasbourg it has a pretty good quality (remember that hoteliers in Strasbourg are a bit spoilt because of the guests from the European Parliament and Council of Europe who come quite often and bring a steady income without much effort - and then it is quite difficult to find anything relatively decent at a relatively decent price in the city and the immediate surroundings).
There is always an upgrade for Golds and Diamonds to the executive level which gives you entry to the lounge (it is back on the 7th floor now). The lounge has a somewhat limited version of the breakfast which you would get in the restaurant downstairs - but it would be a great place if you are in a hurry. Downstairs breakfast is decent, if repetitive, and you can always get some cook to order stuff if you want. Teatime is from 15.00 until 17.00 with some cakes/desserts and fruit and there are snacks from 18.00 until 20.00. I noticed that while during the parliament's session, when the lounge is full, the snacks are usually cold cuts (including some nice local stuff) and mini sausages/chicken wings plus a soup, at other times you may get something nicer, like shrimp skewers and mini puff pastries with various fillings. I am not really able to get out in the evenings and do not need much so for me it is enough but it is really more on a snack level than anything coming close to a proper dinner (but, if you are hungry, the restaurant in the hotel and the room service are pretty good).
Parking seems to be free, at least for Diamonds/Golds (but, as already said in some reviews above, it is never openly stated, they just give you a ticket to get out).
Also, even if the hotel seems fully booked, if you need a room it is always a good idea to write/call and they will do their best to find you something (or maybe that was just my luck or because I am a regular guest?).
It is very close to the European Parliament, Council of Europe and the Court, not so close to the historical centre (but there are tram stops nearby and it takes not more than a few minutes to get to the centre). If you come by car, remember that you can only enter the city if you have the environmental sticker on (you can get it online).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here last night and was very impressed by the hotel. I've not been staying much in Hiltons since the devaluation in 2010 as I moved over to Starwood, but now with the troubles with Marriott I've been shifting a proportion of stays to Hilton and qualified as Diamond again this year. My thoughts with therefore wander a bit between the hotel and Hiltons in general.

Check-in was quick and efficient, no messing around with messed up systems like at Marriott at the moment. They had my details and I was succinctly told about all of the Diamond benefits, including details of the Executive Lounge. I thought the food and drink in the lounge itself was excellent, perhaps because of its location in Alsace or perhaps because its MEP customers are spoilt. Alsatian Cremeuse (fizzy wine), a lovely Pinot Noir and a more than acceptable local Riesling went down well with a variety of fresh smoked meats, pates, sausages and high quality cheeses. There was also some hot food - nicely prepared chicken, felafel and a clearly homemade soup.

My room was recently renovated and to a reasonable standard. It was here I miss the superior Starwood (e.g. Westin) brand standards, as I feel Hilton have fallen behind: The bed was hard and could have been larger, the sheets were poor quality, the towels were tiny and thin, the shower head was meh. All new, clean and nothing wrong with them, but Starwood was clever about a decade ago in investing in doing the basics very well. I feel Hiltons are far behind.

Service at the restaurant was excellent, and I had a honey-basted pork belly on choucroute which would deserve a Michelin star in any other country. I had a gorgeous up-market Riesling for less than $10 and then went to the bar and had a Sidecar made with a $500 bottle of cognac.

Overall, a really unexpectedly good hotel which exceeds the Hilton brand standards in all ways except the detail of the brand standards themselves. I'll be back next week and beyond.
florens and SPBanker like this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Nov 15, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:16 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I booked a prepaid rate a few months ago but was only charged a few days before arrival, unlike the majority of Hiltons which charge within a day or two. This caused my card to go over its credit limit but I rectified the situation without any trouble.

From the Gare Centrale I took bus 2 (turn left as you leave the station but don't go all the way to the tram) to the stop Lycée Kléber. Walking from the bus stop to the hotel was unpleasant at 1730 with hundreds of what appeared to be 16-year-old students smoking outside the school and on the tram platforms. As it had rained earlier the shortest walking route was also very muddy.

Check-in was quick. I was upgraded to the 7th floor as reported by a previous post. There was a nice view of a construction site plus the city in the distance.

At check-in, the front desk staff had said "as a Gold Hilton member... sorry as a Diamond member, ..." Funnily enough, there was a welcome letter in the room thanking me for being Gold. I have never been Gold, only Blue and Diamond.

There was also a gift of a cookie (maybe they aspire to become a DT) and I received a 20% discount voucher for the restaurant.

The water pressure from the shower was poor. There were no plug sockets within reach of the toilet, so I had to use my laptop screen as a mirror for the hair dryer. Unless I was being stupid, there are also no sockets near the kettle or the coffee maker, so I had to put the kettle on the floor under the TV.

As per previous post, the towels are unsatisfactory and the bedsheets didn't really fit the bed, that they came off while I was sleeping. The saving grace was the air con which was very responsive. Also, the window could be opened halfway (without affecting the aircon), but this made the room noisy.

The lounge was on the ground floor. Hot food was some dodgy-looking boiled sausages and a fried cheese thing, in addition to French cheeses, wines and a small selection of lower-end spirits. A large man wearing a suit ate about 20 sausages over the course of the evening while conversing loudly on his phone in a Slavic language. (It seems like the Europarl activity that day was just "committee meetings".) The host did not speak to any guests, and started removing the food and wine at 2000 without the usual warning for last orders.

Breakfast was good, the orange juice was of high quality, however the restaurant seems a bit small.

If the rate is cheap I would be happy to stay again.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
EL is on the ground floor again? It was on the top floor, moved down to ground floor into a room without windows and eventually moved back to top floor when I last visited 1.5 years ago. “Due to customers’ requests” as I was told.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I am staying here right now and can confirm that the lounge is on the ground floor in a very dark and dull room.

We got upgraded to a newly renovated King Executive Room (booked newly renovated King Deluxe) on the top floor. They preauthorise 200€ for extras which I thought was a lot (room was not prepaid to be fair).

King Executive Room

Executive Lounge
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Strasbourg Hilton

Here for 3 nights paid stay as a diamond. Booked about 5 months ago, the rate was about 55euro per night.

We flew into CDG from the States and then took the 2 hour TGV down right from the airport. A good way to get the cheap CDG airline tickets but not bother with Paris. Taxi from the train station was 9.50euro and about 10 minutes. With two and tired, it beats the tram.

Fast and friendly check in at 1:30pm. Room was ready. I booked the cheapest room and was offered that for online check in but waited, and got a re-modeled executive room on the 6th floor.

The room did not seem to be re-modeled upon entry, it just seemed nice. Upon further inspection, the carpet and wall coverings and, probably, the bed frame are new. The furniture does not seem to match the new style and is older and scratched. Interesting re-do. Still, a nice, comfortable, typical room.

The lounge is weak. There is no breakfast in the am, only coffee and a pastry basket. Evening drinks and apps is weak. Three sad bottles of low end spirits are out and two types of beers. There is a soup each night which we did not try. The hot apps were ok the first night but warm sausage type things the second. My wife and I are rarely dissatisfied with Hilton lounges but this was weak.

The exception to this was the pastries at tea. They were fabulous. The rum cake was really, really good.

Breakfast in the main area was adequate. Not good, not great, just adequate. I like bacon and will eat it regardless of how it is cooked. This bacon appears to have been boiled, so I passed.

The tram is about two blocks away and the ticket machine works well even with (US) credit cards.

Having said all this, I must say that this stay was “value for money” as the Brits say. While not up to usual Hilton standards, it is hard to find a nice room, breakfast, and evening drinks for 55euro. If we are in the area, we will stay again.
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Sep 28, 2019 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:47 am

Strasbourg does not offer much in in its selection of lodgings. Nothing 5*, if one is honest. There has been talk of a new Marriott being in the pipeline, but I don't really see the market for another large hotel in the city, let alone one that will be profitable.

The Hilton is a victim of the local economy. They have attempted a refurbishment, but it's really just cosmetic. The cost involved in a thorough renovation is simply not supported by the revenue generated.

The Executive Lounge,, as mentioned, is not stellar. The space is rather sombre, with a very British club ambiance. They have, at least in my experience, had a number of local red, white and sparkling wines on offer. The post above does not mention those. I can't imagine they have eliminated them, but kept spirits. They do, however, sometimes have inventory control "problems."
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Flyme2– I am not a wine drinker as evidenced by my beer and bacon complaints, so I was not sure of what the wines actually were and did not comment. There were, indeed, 4-5 wines on offer and they did seem to have local labels. A couple of folks in the lounge were enjoying them without complaint.

Your description of the lounge as a British club is spot on.

edit: Just a quick point about the restaurant. There are no places to eat nearby, so we ate lunch downstairs. It is a Saturday and there were only three people there besides us. The lunch menu is choose among apps, mains, and desserts at two for 22euro or three courses for 26euro.

The food was wonderful. For apps, I had a huge shrimp on a bed of open ravioli. Wife had swordfish with mozzarella (from buffalo). Both were excellent. My main was an Iberian pork that seemed to have been braised and then crisped under a broiler with a great mustard sauce. Wife had “perch-pike” fish that was moist and delicious. Then both desserts had sorbet that seemed to be made in house. Mine was a peach tart, the other was chocolate. Complex, French, fresh, and great. How they do this for just a few customers is amazing. This hotel is beginning to grow on me.

kevinhd and Richmond_Surrey like this.

Last edited by pretzlaff; Sep 28, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Anyone stayed here post covid? Rates are cheap as usual, but website says restaurant and lounge is closed and no room service. I wonder if breakfast is served at all or you get a bag of something.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:58 am

Stayed here last week during COVID. Hotel and rooms are old - even the upgraded rooms. Bedroom seems refreshed, bathroom really old. Got an upgrade to an 'executive room', but with the lounge closed I'm not quite sure if it was an upgrade at all. After complaining the second day I received a 'free minibar' as the executive lounge was closed and no free drinks at the bar were offered - the free minibar was 1 coke, 1 Heineken and 1 bottle of water. No bottles of water were offered otherwise. Restaurant and bar are closed. Breakfast was available but with a very limited selection. No self-service, but a buffet with staff putting the limited items on your plate upon request. Due to a convention, all roads around the hotel were closed and it took quite some effort to convince the police to let me through to use the hotel parking; which is expensive at €25/day for a hotel in a bad location (and with all surrounding roads closed and empty). Wouldn't stay here again given the bad service and state of the hotel - even at the cheap rate (€63/night) that I paid.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USAFAN
It's a bit far out. Not far from an exit of Autoroute. Free parking next to the hotel.
Very friendly agents at the reception. Some busloads of tourists on weekends.
Some rooms have a nice view over Strassbourg and illuminated Cathedral which is some miles away.
Can I tour the city without car if I put I at Hilton St?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: HH
Originally Posted by SoGoodBill
Can I tour the city without car if I put I at Hilton St?
No. It is a long walk to city centre.

My advice: Do NOT stay there. Worst Hilton i ever was. Never ever. Like really. I did not see any other Hilton that bad!
SoGoodBill likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.