Hilton Strasbourg {FRA} (France)

Old Jan 29, 02, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Strasbourg {FRA} (France)

Any comments on this property? I DID do a search but only came up with the fact that no one paid tax for their award stays.

Thanks,

Ol' Joe
Old Jan 29, 02, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Nice hotel, Gold upgraded without asking. Not central location, next to a large conference center. Tram is close by and an easy ride to city center.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
CLD, LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.
SoGoodBill likes this.
Old Jan 29, 02, 1:52 pm

It's a bit far out. Not far from an exit of Autoroute. Free parking next to the hotel.
Very friendly agents at the reception. Some busloads of tourists on weekends.
Some rooms have a nice view over Strassbourg and illuminated Cathedral which is some miles away.
SoGoodBill likes this.
Old Jan 29, 02, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Ditto World20's comments. I stayed there in April of 2001. Very easy to get around on the Tram which is new, clean, pleasant and comfortable. Also right in the midst of the Alsace wine route sites and a quick trip over to one of my favorite places, Heidelburg.
Old Jan 29, 02, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Had a stay there Oct 2000 got upgraded and lounge access, fairly nice hotel, though their computers were down for one whole day.
Not really that far from downtown in this my 2nd favourite city in France.
Used the very good tram system a lot is a short walk from the hotel, longest I had to wait for a train(4 day stay)was 6 mins.
Enjoyed watching toddlers at the school next door learn soccer.

Word of waring dont ever try to send an insured package home from the PO at the next stop. Took forever to get a clerk who could understand me little French/English PO workers are the same all over the world.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 01-29-2002).]
Old Mar 28, 02, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Strasbourg Hilton

3.5 Doakes out of 5.0 for those who don't want to read further.

Pluses: Large, excellent room, good king size bed, squeaky clean room, lively and happening bar on Friday night. Wall Street Europe edition delivered on weekday mornings which is better than USA Today assuming you are actually in Europe at the time. Many TV channels if you care about that (I don't).

Minuses: No free breakfast offered (might have pushed the issue but didn't get up early enough to care). Not a central location; it is directly across the street from the European Parliament but far from the museums and cathedrals. This is mitigated somewhat by its proximity to the trolley, but yet I don't think it's close enough to the trolley where you would consider that if you were in your golden years or had heavy luggage.

X factor: This does not enter into my ratings but I admit to being mildly surprised to find a couple of hookers working the bar on Friday night (late). If this could offend you, I don't think it would offend you, because it was late and subtle. Not like there were hookers parading around in front of kids or anything like that.

General comments: Strasbourg has an excellent transportation system. I thought the cathedral was one of the best I have seen = underrated. I thought the art museums were mediocre = overrated. Many major artists were represented, but largely by their minor works. The town was not crowded. The food was good, simpler and lighter than either French or German cuisine. The weather was lousy.

Doakes
Old Mar 28, 02, 7:24 am
DOC 2 BE

Joe --

They do provide free breakfast for Golds, at least I got one. Parking charge, as well, but it is gated. I did see on one of the side streets, the familliar glass in the street from a smashed window, so I didn't mind that charge.

Essentially, it is a business hotel, but it was the only thing of Hilton in that vicinity. Now there is the new Hilton in Karlsruhe, so if one does not want to stay in Strasbourg, they might wish to check out that property, I have no info on it though.

I like downtown Strasbourg near the Cathedral. Restaurants recommended - Au Crocodile, and Maison Kammerzel(?).

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-28-2002).]

Old Mar 28, 02, 12:20 pm

Does anyone remember what the parking charge per day is? When I called Hilton to ask, they told me it was 68 EUROS. I am assuming this rate is a currency change typo and it used to be 68 FRANCS. Even by European standards, 68 EUROS seems a little unlikely...
Old Mar 28, 02, 1:32 pm

I think it's 68 Franc.
I parked my car (lousy Renault from Hertz) just opposit the (small) street. I did not feel that it was dangerous; two tourist busses also parked there and the area was lighted. I would park a BMW, Porsche ... at the gated parking place.

BTW, Rest. Crocodile is a fine Michelin**-restaurant (they lost one star!), but heavily overpriced. You find other nice restaurants in La Wantzenau, just outside Strassbourg.

Au Crocodile 10 r. Outre Strasbourg
Buerehiesel dans le parc de l'Orangerie Strasbourg
Vieille Enseigne 9 r. Tonneliers Strasbourg
Julien 22 quai Bateliers Strasbourg

Relais de la Poste 21 r. Gén. de Gaulle La Wantzenau
Zimmer 23 r. Héros La Wantzenau
Les Semailles 10 r. Petit-Magmod La Wantzenau
Rest. Au Moulin Sud par D 468 La Wantzenau
Pont de l'Ill 2 r. Gén. Leclerc La Wantzenau
Old Mar 28, 02, 2:31 pm

I stayed here in April after having read a nice trip report from Doc2Be - and got a room with a view of the Cathedral (a must see), also at his suggestion. We got breakfast without asking (Gold too) and parked on the street with no problem. This is not a busy area of town.

I would agree about the location but trolley (if that's what you call it) is close, new, sleek and efficient. We rented a car to see the surrounding Alsace and German sites, so didn't have to worry about luggage. We always took the mass transit within the city, however.
Old Mar 28, 02, 3:34 pm

Thanks for the parking information! We lucked out and discovered that our trip coincides with a point stretcher period at this hotel in April. That pretty much made the decision for us regarding where to stay in Strasbourg!
Old Mar 28, 02, 6:40 pm

Romanc, I've no idea what your plans are or if you've been in the area but there are some great little villages in the area along the wine route and one of my favorite places in the world is Heidelberg, Germany, which is a short drive from Strasbourg. You may also want to do a search for Doc2Be's trip report which he posted about a year ago.
Old Mar 28, 02, 7:17 pm
Suspended

I enjoyed my stay at this property over a year ago.
Got access to the lounge for breakfast and free parking ( access is by card, I believe was the room-key) which opens the security gate just beyond the main entrance.

Strasbourg is a very nice city and I would recommend a visit to nearby Colmar with stops in the beautiful villages of Riquewehr and Ribeauville as a very enjoyable side trip.
If you want to splurge have lunch at the Au Fer Rouge in Colmar, little expensive but very memorable.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 03-28-2002).]
Old Mar 28, 02, 9:29 pm
DOC 2 BE

If you have time, you should absolutely do the wine road and the towns described above, they are separated from one another by a couple of km of rolling hills, and in the summer, each has a weekend where they present their local wines. Pay one price, and get hand stamped and you can come and go and DRINK as often as you wish.

But, don't drive drunk!

If you do this trip, may I suggest that you stop off at the castle that the Kaiser, himself, restored to its former glory. It is quite imposing -- as many of you know, Alsace and Lorraine, were twice part of Germany, in recent memory.

Quelle Dommage about Au Crocodile! I met Monsieur and Madame Jung, the propietors of the place and they were very nice. It is pricey, BUT, if you do the prix fixe lunch, it comes down considerably! Still expensive, though, but hey, it is a gastronomic restaurant!

Finally, if you are driving to Paris from Strasbourg, definitely stop by the city of Nancy in Lorraine. It has a wonderful 17th century plaza known as the Place Stanislas, named after Louis XV's father-in-law, the deposed King of Poland, who Louis, the ever dutiful son-in-law, fashioned as an area befitting a royal occupant.

In addition, Nancy was one of the famous cities where Art Nouveay flourished, as the inspiration of that art form, had its genesis in the flowers that are still grown in and around the city, today. The city information office has a map for a walking tour of those buildings that still have their origianl facades from that time -- and there are many of them!

Old Apr 26, 02, 9:52 am

Thank you for all the advice and information. We had a very nice stay at this hotel. We were on an award stay (gold status) and received a room upgrade to the executive level and lounge (club room) access. The lounge provided a simple continental breakfast daily and was open most of the day afterwards until 10:30pm for drinks and very light snacks.

It's a solid 4* by European standards. While it is a business hotel, they were quite competent in meeting our tourist needs as well. The area, while not central, felt quite safe. The city tram system is excellent and you can quite easily get to the hotel from the airport by taking the bus shuttle to the tram and then the tram (with a change at Homme de Fer) to Lycee Kleber. From there it is an easy block and a half to the Hilton. Walking/strolling into the old town at night was very comfortable and really doesn't take that long. The trams usually run at least every 15 minutes if you prefer to ride. There aren't many restuarants/eateries in the near vicinity of the hotel (excluding the ones in the hotel), but via tram or on foot there are plenty to found in the old town/city center.

The trip along the wine route was definitely a must-do. We also enjoyed daytrips north to the Pottery/Crystal manufacturers as well as across the border into Germany and the Black Forest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: