Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Michigan, USA {US-MI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Michigan, USA {US-MI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at the Hilton Suites in Auburn Hills a couple of times this year. A very nice property. All suites, of course. Nice bar, plenty of comfortable places to chat. If you were a diamond, you'd get a free breakfast which is also very nice.

I was planning on using it for my diamond run, but I've switched jobs, so I have to find another place.

Hint: try the government rate - it's only $65/night. They usually don't ask for ID, just your personal ID.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe I'll stay one night at each to get an extra stay credit.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe I'll stay one night at each to get an extra stay credit.
That's the best idea. Not only extra stay, but you can see for yourself which you like for next time. Plus they are only about 10 minutes apart by way of I75.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:24 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Downtown Detroit.......Which property???

I'll be attending the all star game next week. It's very crowded, and most hotels are sold out and even over sold. However, I have come across 3 possabilities in the Hilton family. Any feedback on any of them?

1. Hilton Garden Inn -- $199 USD
2. Hilton Windsor -- $125 CAD
3. Hampton Windsor -- $125 CAD

These are the 3 closest properties to the park. I'm not renting a car so would like to be as close to the ballpark as possible just because I know it will be packed, and Detroit doesn't have the subway system New York does.

The price difference is really amazing. The Windsor properties will be about $102 plus tax and currency conversion. The Garden Inn is a block from the ballpark, so it's a lot more expensive. Plus, I know downtown DTW is not the nicest place for a single solo female traveler.

I would not mind staying at Dearborn, Romulus, or Troy, but I was afraid to do that because of the traffic getting to and from the game. And I don't think Detroit has the best shuttle bus system (unlike Kansas City, Atlanta, and other cities). If this were Atlanta, I wouldn't hesitate to stay out of downtown because of MARTA and the frequent ballpark shuttles. However, I am not so sure that is a viable option in Detroit.

I want the best bargain, but I also want safety. I've read mixed reviews about the Hilton in Windsor, and I know it will be expensive to get from the airport to Windsor (at least $20 US more each way) than to the Garden Inn.

If anyone frequents (or lives in) this area and can offer help, I'd be very appreciative.

P.S. 3 cheers to Hilton! The Diamond "bump" worked for them. The Marriott Platinum Premier on the other hand couldn't even guarantee me a room with them. And they have a lot more options in downtown DTW. So yeah for Hilton!
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I've read mixed reviews about the Hilton in Windsor, and I know it will be expensive to get from the airport to Windsor (at least $20 US more each way) than to the Garden Inn.
What are you planning to do without a car? Take a cab across an international border?
Old Jul 4, 2005, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
What are you planning to do without a car? Take a cab across an international border?

Actually, they do offer private car service between DTW and Windsor. So yes. I've done my research, and I know there is airport transportation available. Windsor is just across the water from Detroit, so it isn't out of the way. They also run an events bus between Windsor and Comerica Park.

Transportation is about $20 US more each way between DTW and Windsor as DTW and downtown Detroit. But it is possible.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
If I were you I would stick with the Hilton Garden Inn. Staying further out and getting a car is too much of a hassle; we have construction up the wazoo here in pretty much all highways leading into Detroit. Staying in Windsor could be a long time gettting in and out through the border (and who knows another "red" alert happens and you could be stuck and miss the game!).
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:05 am
Suspended

HGI all the way. It is just a short walk from the ballpark, and there will be TONS of people, cops and volunteers there to ensure safety of the crowds. This is discussed regularly in the Detroit newspapers. HGI is the newest hotel in Detroit, and it is on a block that is also brand new. There is a lovely park around the corner from HGI called Campus Martius that - for someone who has spent a lot of years visiting the good bad and ugly of the city - is mind-blowing for how beautiful, clean and un-Detroit it is. The whole area is really fixed up nicely. From HGI you are also within walking distance of Harmony Park and Greektown. Two must-dos and very safe for walking to and fro in the daytime. Windsor is overrun by 18-20 year olds and it is expensive to get back and forth. Detroit places a high value of importance on the All-Star game and it will be safe like never before. I think you'll be fine. Here are some articles that you might find interesting and helpful as you plan your trip:

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/payoff5e_20050705.htm

http://www.detnews.com/2005/allstar/...A01-236912.htm

http://www.detnews.com/2005/allstar/0507/05/index.htm
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
HGI downtown is very nice, stayed there last month was upgraded to a suite as gold, went to a Tigers game, great stadium. Quick easy and safe walk to the ballpark. The only problem I had was driving from the airport to downtown and a key part of the interstate was closed for construction, getting downtown was easy getting back to the airport was an adventure as the detour signs were hard to follow, thank goodness for Neverlost.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:15 am

Thank you for all your feedback. I have decided to go with the HGI in downtown Detroit for Tuesday night. I really appreciate your input.

I've ben to Detroit twice. Once I was just in for the day. I went to Windsor and then to the Tigers game at Old Tigers Stadium. The second time I stayed at the Ritz in Dearborn and went to the game at Comerica Park.

This wasn't something I anticipated doing, but I got the tickets and ran with it. I wanted to stay at the Marriott Renaissance Center because I know it is convenient, but alas, Marriott wouldn't guarantee a room to a Platinum Premiere a month in advance. I called up Hilton and got in at the HGI. From the way it sounds, I'm in a good place.

Normally, I would have stayed at Dearborn or the airport, but with the traffic expected for the game, I thought that would be a real waste of a lot of time.

On a side note, which airport property? I'm getting in late in the evening on Monday and am staying at the airport the first night. I have a reservation at the Doubletree, but if others are nicer, please let me know. The HGI airport is sold out. There is availability at the Suites and at the Hampton along with the Doubletree. I did check Trip Advisor, and none of the Hilton properties at the airport got good reviews. What's your take?

Thanks for everything!

Last edited by chicaloca453; Jul 7, 2005 at 2:27 am
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:33 am
Suspended

Glad to hear of it. It sounds like it will be a fun time.

The DTW Doubletree is awful, IMHO. I had a very sub-par stay there recently (as Gold) and will never go back. The worst part was the heating/cooling system for the rooms, which was extremely loud and woke me up all night. Others have complained of this too.

Your best bet near the airport, honestly, is the Westin. NGI would have been nice, nothing else even comes close.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Westin, by far, first. Hilton Suites second. My $.02. I noticed you tried the Marriott at Renaissance Center. Do you also try the across-the-street Courtyard with your platinum override? Also, sometimes you do better with the plat override after signing in on the website, than by calling.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Westin, by far, first. Hilton Suites second. My $.02. I noticed you tried the Marriott at Renaissance Center. Do you also try the across-the-street Courtyard with your platinum override? Also, sometimes you do better with the plat override after signing in on the website, than by calling.

No luck at the CY either. Both were blackout dates for the override.

I'm now heading to the Hilton website to change my reservation for Monday night! I'll use the Westin if it's available. Otherwise, I'll book the Hilton Suites. I love the double dip of Hilton, but it's not worth a crappy room! I want to enjoy my trip. =)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:04 pm

Okay, the Hilton Suites Airport is available, but the Westin is not. I changed my reservation to the Suites.

Just curious though. I found good rates at both the Hampton and Four Points. Are those properties as bad as the low rates would suggest? Four Points was $65! Hampton was $85! I'm not trying to be cheap, just curious. If they're worse than the Doubletree you guys described, I don't want any part of them. I'm too diva for that! =)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
No luck at the CY either. Both were blackout dates for the override.
Strange. I got the plat override at the St. Louis Downtown Marriott during the World Series.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.