Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Had another one night stay at the hotel on Sunday. Was upgraded to a 1 King Bed Suite from the King Deluxe that I got in the sale. Full breakfast is still for Diamond members, which include items that require a surcharge payment. The hotel was busy as there was a rugby game in town and my room was not ready when I showed after but I got the key fairly quickly while I had lunch at their restaurant (which was also extremely busy). Having stayed at the Hilton Calrton for two nights prior to this stay, I would readily recommend either hotel, although the Waldorf is a somewhat more charming property.

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Do they still offer a drinks reception (happy hour) of sorts here for Diamond members on certain evenings of the week?
​​​​​​​I am not sure they ever did that. I don't remember any drink reception even when it was a Hilton.
chrism20 and hugolover like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Had another one night stay at the hotel on Sunday. Was upgraded to a 1 King Bed Suite from the King Deluxe that I got in the sale. Full breakfast is still for Diamond members, which include items that require a surcharge payment. The hotel was busy as there was a rugby game in town and my room was not ready when I showed after but I got the key fairly quickly while I had lunch at their restaurant (which was also extremely busy). Having stayed at the Hilton Calrton for two nights prior to this stay, I would readily recommend either hotel, although the Waldorf is a somewhat more charming property.

I am not sure they ever did that. I don't remember any drink reception even when it was a Hilton.
Was on a Friday evening I believe a little over a year ago, was referred to as a Diamond or Managers reception, but basically included specific drinks only in one of their bars for an hour or two ago. Seemed pretty subtle.

Nice to hear that a’la carte items are included at breakfast, never knew that.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Was on a Friday evening I believe a little over a year ago, was referred to as a Diamond or Managers reception, but basically included specific drinks only in one of their bars for an hour or two ago. Seemed pretty subtle.
Hmm, I definitely have never experienced that. They used to give out drink vouchers (even a year ago, I believe), but I did not get any this time.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Staff cutbacks under review

Hi,

Sad news from the BBC;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-53500385

65 full time posts to be cut and another 135 jobs having hours changed or amalgamated ( review process under way ) out of a total of 290 staff.

Very sad news but i suspect only the start of job reductions here in the UK as the furlough scheme winds down and travel restrictions continue

Regards

TBS
chrism20 and florens like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:21 am

Very sad and thoughts are with the staff.

I think this is going to be the case in a lot of these very large hotels where weddings and large events are regular occurrences as they will be huge revenue drivers for the property. At least the hotel has reopened unlike the IC on George Street which is to remain closed until next year apparently.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
The significant loss of revenue this summer due the cancellation of Edinburgh's many festivals and hosted/catered events at the hotel all likely contributed to the current situation.

David
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
The significant loss of revenue this summer due the cancellation of Edinburgh's many festivals and hosted/catered events at the hotel all likely contributed to the current situation.

David
Yep, they also cancelled New Year the other day which is massive here in Edinburgh so the outlook for any improvement of any sort this year is now gone completely.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by chrism20
Yep, they also cancelled New Year the other day which is massive here in Edinburgh so the outlook for any improvement of any sort this year is now gone completely.
Wow. Hadn't heard that. No Hogmanay? Wow.

David
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-hotel-2922763

Hilton Carlton Edinburgh also cutting staff
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Wow. Hadn't heard that. No Hogmanay? Wow.

David
It was all quite bizarre. Tickets went on sale at the start of the week and then on Wednesday they were taken off sale and there was an announcement that it is cancelled “In it’s current form” following discussions with the council and Government.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/w...n/street-party

A decision on what will be provided ( ie fireworks only?) will be announced towards the end of august.

This will have a major impact on the edinburggh hospitality sector.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 27, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Sad news from the BBC;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-53500385

65 full time posts to be cut and another 135 jobs having hours changed or amalgamated ( review process under way ) out of a total of 290 staff.

Very sad news but i suspect only the start of job reductions here in the UK as the furlough scheme winds down and travel restrictions continue

Regards

TBS
Very very upsetting news. It is one of my favourite Hilton hotels in Europe and I know many members of staff there. So sad how this virus is destroying people's lives even without actually killing them.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:57 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh = Quality Hotel but Room Falls Short of WA Standards

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Princes Street Edinburgh, GB EH1 2AB

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh = Quality Hotel but Room Falls Short of WA Standards (14 Photos)

I stayed at Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh a few years ago, back when it was a Hilton branded hotel.  I wanted to try it again this time as a renovated and upgraded property and see how they stack up with other Waldorf Astoria hotels elsewhere in the world.  It is probably one of the top hotels in Edinburgh and was good on just about any aspect, except for the room which falls a bit short of WA standards. IMG_2361.jpeg

The location of WA could hardly be better as it’s sitting right besides the Edinburgh Castle and many rooms have views.  It is also convenient from the airport because the hotel is very close to the West End stop which can be reached either by airport bus or tram. 

Room

I booked a Carriage Room and originally got upgraded to a Premier Room with Castle View.  When I checked in I asked the receptionist if they normally upgrade Diamond guests to Junior Suites; he answered that for Diamonds the upgrade can be Premier with Castle View or Junior Suite without a view.  I chose the latter as I did not mind the lack of view and I preferred to have more space, and anyway there is a material price difference between those room types, the Jr Suite being more expensive so I must not be the only guest who prefers this room. 

The strong point of the junior suite (and the hotel generally speaking) is the historical nature and unique design of the room.  The suite was on a split level with the bedroom being three steps below the living room.  Unlike many old hotels, the ceilings were very high, even more so in the bedroom which provided a feeling of grandeur.  The bathroom had obviously been renovated recently but only had a single vanity as the bathroom was not very large.  Where this room felt a bit short of WA standards is that the shower was in a bathtub which I do not like, and there was carpet throughout the room.  As mentioned above the room did not have a view because it was looking over the inside of the triangle-shaped building rather than looking outwards.  In addition, our room only had three somewhat narrow windows and Edinburgh does not always get a lot of sunshine even in the summer, so it made the room a bit dark which was another drawback.  On the positive side the bed was very comfortable like a WA bed and we had no problem having a cool room during the night, unlike some other hotels in Scotland which tend to be too warm.  Bathroom amenities were the standard Salvatore Ferragamo products which are among our favorite toiletries compared to other luxury hotel brands. 

IMG_2363.jpegIMG_2364.jpegIMG_2365.jpegIMG_2366.jpegIMG_2367.jpeg

Dining

For breakfast, as expected there was no buffet.  First they brought a tray with cold cuts, cheese, and fruits to start with.  They also had a decent a la carte menu which I prefer to a buffet, and unlike in the past none of the items were at an extra charge for Diamond guests.  The food was excellent quality but some dishes could probably have been a bit better presented.  For example the steak & eggs and the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on toast looked bland and lacked color – maybe more veggies on the side would be an improvement.

1_IMG_2374.jpeg1_IMG_2375.jpeg1_IMG_2376.jpeg1_IMG_2377.jpegIMG_2392.jpeg

The room used for breakfast was small with only a handful of tables suitable for dining, the other tables were more for lounging with drinks in the evening because these tables were a bit too low.  Nonetheless they had to be used for breakfast because there were too many guests and not enough traditional tables.  On the days we were at breakfast early enough, having the best tables was great: there was good spacing between guests, the cathedral ceiling with the glass roof made the room wonderful, and all staff wore masks. 

IMG_2362.jpegIMG_2390.jpeg1_IMG_2407.jpeg

Service

Service during our stay was very good for example all miscellaneous requests were met efficiently such as printing and delivering documents to our room, and several staff at reception remembered our name and room number when we stopped by for questions so they seemed to know at all times who the in-house guests were and were well positioned to provide service with a personal touch.  During breakfast the staff were nice and remembered our orders from previous days which is excellent, but they could use a bit more coordination because different servers did not always know if we had ordered already and there were minor mistakes such as bringing a small jar of hot milk but without a cup or a mug to drink, and also they served yogurt with cereals without a spoon.  Generally speaking all staff in the hotel were very friendly and pleasant; I mean many hotels have nice staff, but in WA Edinburgh they were clearly more so than average and did a good job to make guests feel welcome and ensured needs were met.  For these reasons, I would say service was on par with the WA brand despite a few minor hiccups.

Wifi

Wifi was excellent during our stay with speeds over 75 Mbps.

Overall

Overall we had a solid stay and I can recommend this hotel.  While it might not meet the WA threshold in all regards such as the room, and the brand could have been Conrad instead, the price tag is also far more reasonable than many other Waldorfs so I did not have much to complain.  Compared to the local competition, it is safe to say that WA is one of the best hotels in Edinburgh and Diamond guests can get excellent value. 

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh = Quality Hotel but Room Falls Short of WA Standards

Would you like to write a review on the Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 9, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience on the Caley's dinner inclusive rates? Is it an allowance you're given, or a set menu or similar? Thinking of heading there soon for a night and trying to work out of the dinner inclusive sale rate is a good deal.

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More than 18 months since the last post. Any recent stays? How's breakfast?
pazza2000 and jgriff10 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.