Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._New_York.html

Someone compiled this list over on the TripAdvisor boards...50+ hotels so far and counting...I think Hilton just decided they needed a piece of the pie.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Given the newness of this particular scam, and the confusion on property, I for one would like to see continued updates over time as FT'ers stay here - even if they simply support Eujeanie's experience.

New York's attorney general has, in some cases in the past, taken a consumer perspective against some types of scams. It's not out of the question that they don't push back on this one. I also see tons of NYC properties *not* charging bogus fees, so it's possible that this little scam will simply die on its own as it doesn't really take hold citywide. (Is that naive of me to think? Perhaps... )

At least the DT's fee *can* be lossless to some guests - ones who actually use it. That doesn't make it any more ethical or less scammy in my opinion, but I was looking at a Marriott fee in NYC that looked like $25/day and the F&B credit $25 per stay.

Props to Hyatt if they have, so far, resisted this fee. (I also haven't looked at Starwoods...)
since it was
When I first became aware of the fee late last year it was when I was booking a room at the Midtown Hilton.since it was the hotel being used as the host hotel for my conference. It's a property I don't care for anyway because they are stingy with late check outs and then charge you a fee to store your bags and since I need a 3ish checkout I was thinking of staying with a Hyatt anyway since I could have a guaranteed 4 p.m. check out with them. After seeing this absurd fee when trying to book a room I decided to stay on the Hyatt on 45th since I am assured a 4pm checkout and they aren't charging a resort fee. I have a stay next month at Hilton (fashion district who doesn't charge the fee yet) and was looking at Hyatt's in the area since I want a 4 p.m. check out on that stay and none of the Hyatts I looked at charge this fee so it looks like they are holding back for now anyway.

If Hilton is going to charge this fee then they should give diamonds a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout at least. I hope the midtown Hilton isn't charging a luggage storage fee any longer
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posting this from the DT Times Square...thought I'd provide an update, both about an odd room type and about the resort fee.

Booked a super cheap rate, since it's January and nobody is here. So I was a bit disappointed when I could not view a selection of room options at OLCI. The day prior, I could view nothing. The day of my stay, I saw I'd been assigned a room, but could not alter it. So I backed out of OLCI and decided to go to the front desk.

At check-in, I decided to try an experiment: I asked if I could have the resort fee waived. The clerk explained how it's a new fee, they didn't really like it themselves, but that he'd need a manager to allow that. So I say great, phone the manager... I'm not sure *why* I decided to resist...it's a business trip and I can expense it...but I just figured for the broader good of the traveling public I'd at least make it known that I'm another person who hates this disgusting, fraudulent fee. Anyway, the manager was in a meeting, so the clerk waived the fee. "One-time courtesy", he said. Possible downside to doing this: he said no Diamond upgrades were available. Even though the hotel is pretty empty (enough so that room are $102/nt.).

Anyway, the room type is called King Hudson Harbor View. High floor, *not* a suite. Being here solo, I was willing to try it. What it is is a "Manhattan sized" hotel room - comfortable for one person, two max. It has a *slight* view of the Hudson River, but no view of any type of harbor. (Times Square isn't really near the river.) It is a high floor, which is nice, and off of the main hallway. One description I read made the rooms seem newly renovated. It's clear they have not...at least not in the past decade or more.

There is a basic breakfast buffet in the morning - nothing special. No one available to make cooked-to-order eggs or omelets. Just a regular buffet setup of eggs, sausage, soggy potatoes...plus the usual bread/cereal/fruit. The restaurant has been empty both days I've been down there. They check says the full price of the buffet is $35 and change per person, which is absolutely laughable. If I were not Gold/Diamond, I wouldn't even spend my resort fee money here - this buffet seriously isn't worth the (net) ten bucks.

Future NY trips will be back at the HGI over on the east side. Nice hot made-to-order breakfast, no resort fee nonsense, newer/nicer rooms, and better location. Glad I did this one-time experiment to reconfirm what I already suspected...that there are lots of other HH options around the city far better than this one.

Last edited by pinniped; Feb 1, 2018 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the updates.

I can't remember where I read it, but I read "somewhere" that they might roll out the "fee" to all the hotels in New York. Don't quote me, I wish I could remember where I saw that.

I went and rechecked our reservation for the DT in June - whew thankfully it is for a full 2-room suite, I even printed out the little blurb along with the floor plan that details the room. I don't trust anybody.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by pinniped
Posting this from the DT Times Square...thought I'd provide an update, both about an odd room type and about the resort fee.

Booked a super cheap rate, since it's January and nobody is here. So I was a bit disappointed when I could not view a selection of room options at OLCI. The day prior, I could view nothing. The day of my stay, I saw I'd been assigned a room, but could not alter it. So I backed out of OLCI and decided to go to the front desk.

At check-in, I decided to try an experiment: I asked if I could have the resort fee waived. The clerk explained how it's a new fee, they didn't really like it themselves, but that he'd need a manager to allow that. So I say great, phone the manager... I'm not sure *why* I decided to resist...it's a business trip and I can expense it...but I just figured for the broader good of the traveling public I'd at least make it known that I'm another person who hates this disgusting, fraudulent fee. Anyway, the manager was in a meeting, so the clerk waived the fee. "One-time courtesy", he said. Possible downside to doing this: he said no Diamond upgrades were available. Even though the hotel is pretty empty (enough so that room are $102/nt.).

Anyway, the room type is called King Hudson Harbor View. High floor, *not* a suite. Being here solo, I was willing to try it. What it is is a "Manhattan sized" hotel room - comfortable for one person, two max. It has a *slight* view of the Hudson River, but no view of any type of harbor. (Times Square isn't really near the river.) It is a high floor, which is nice, and off of the main hallway. One description I read made the rooms seem newly renovated. It's clear they have not...at least not in the past decade or more.

There is a basic breakfast buffet in the morning - nothing special. No one available to make cooked-to-order eggs or omelets. Just a regular buffet setup of eggs, sausage, soggy potatoes...plus the usual bread/cereal/fruit. The restaurant has been empty both days I've been down there. They check says the full price of the buffet is $35 and change per person, which is absolutely laughable. If I were not Gold/Diamond, I wouldn't even spend my resort fee money here - this buffet seriously isn't worth the (net) ten bucks.

Future NY trips will be back at the HGI over on the east side. Nice hot made-to-order breakfast, no resort fee nonsense, newer/nicer rooms, and better location. Glad I did this one-time experiment to reconfirm what I already suspected...that there are lots of other HH options around the city far better than this one.
I thought it was all suites hotel - were you in the DT Suites?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I thought it was all suites hotel - were you in the DT Suites?
DT Suites does have single bedrooms. I found that out the hard way last year. I always thought it was all two room suites from all my many stays there but last stay I got up to my suite to find it was a small single bedroom. When I went to the front desk to complain I was told I booked a harbor view suite and those were only one room and they were booked that night but if I came down the next morning they would upgrade me to a full suite (which they gave me a great corner suite for the second night of my stay).

I think it's misleading though because it's a room not a suite.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Fair enough. We are looking at a hotel for a couple of nights in May in New York, so looking at this hotel. I can only see suites available. The Queen premium suite is the same price as the King standard suite on points so we might grab that. Not sure on the difference as they both look the same from the photos.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
To add insult to injury, just completed a stay here and was unaware of the $25 "urban facility fee", which is fine as I can take responsibility for that. However, at check-in, they provided no coupon or vouchers for the "$25 food beverage credit" that are suppose to come with that fee, and I only found out about it after researching the charge. Just called and they credited back the fee for not providing the coupons, but I have a feeling it wasn't an "accident".
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm staying on points which usually doesn't attract the resort fee at other hotels. I wonder if I'm not charged whether I will still get the $25 credit haha I doubt it!!! Seems a bit daft to charge the fee and then give it back.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:58 am
cjd

In the "hotels closing thread," mention is made that this hotel is closing. On the Hilton website, it is currently accepting reservations until Jan 31, 2019. Anybody have info on this. Have stayed here a couple of times and enjoyed the suites and great location, especially when using points.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:07 am

That date has been changed from December 1st - good.

The reason it was closing was because the theater on the bottom of it - the Palace Theater, where most recently SpongeBob was playing, is going to be raised up, crazy as it sounds, the entire theater intact, up a level so the street level can then be retail shops.

So the timing of the DT closing was predicated on them starting to do that, which it sounds like it has been delayed. Hopefully permanently.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:01 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Wanted to share a quick update on the DoubleTree Times Square. While the hotel is expecting to close its doors in January 2019, guests will still be able to book reservations through January, including during the New Year’s holiday. Know it’s a popular choice this time of year!

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

Lauren, are they going to change the entire hotel above? Just gut the whole thing and start new? - I heard rumors it wasn't going to be suites anymore. Please say it isn't so!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Wow, I love this hotel, just stayed last week. Super nice accommodating staff. Are they closing permanently in Jan? Re-model? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:10 pm

According to permits pulled two years ago, they will eventually reopen it with a huge increase in number of rooms without an increase in the footprint, so it sounds like the rooms will get quite a bit smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.