Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2001, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

I am HHonors Gold VIP, and am looking more for a budget hotel. Has anyone stayed here before. How are the upgrades, and is it worth the $99/nite?
Old Jan 28, 2001, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go for it, if it is the Alana Doubletree. A very nice hotel, in a good location. I stayed there for a number of times and it has ALWAYS been great. Excellent restaurant too.

MisterNice

ps: sometimes $89 rates are available. I think free parking is included too
Old Aug 29, 2001, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
DOUBLETREE ALANA-HONOLULU/OAHU

My wife and I are planning to spend a week in Hawaii in Christmas and I was able to find a really good rate at this property. Has anyone stayed there? What can/can't we expect? I'm a Diamond member, so, hopefully, we'll even get an upgrade!
Old Aug 29, 2001, 2:56 pm

I had two Diamond stays at the Alana Hotel earlier this month. I was upgraded each time, the second time to a spacious three room penthouse suite on the top floor. The staff is very friendly but,like too many of their Hilton counterparts,completely unfamiliar with the nuances of the HHonors program. I had to explain the difference between airline bonus points and double-dipping with miles and points. The front desk staff politely refused to issue a second $10 breakfast voucher for my traveling companion and deferred to the hotel manager who never found time to address the issue. All in all we had a wonderful stay, about three blocks from the beach and in the middle of the Waikiki buzz. Parking is steep, $10 a day. Aloha.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 6:32 pm

I stayed at this property in July, and it was GREAT. We got upgraded to a suite, and they were super nice. we had coupons for every day of our stay. The staff is great. I couldn't believe how nice and how helpful they were. I would stay here again. It's in the middle of everything.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 9:29 pm

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
IMHO, this is Hilton's hidden gem on Oahu. It's a smaller, boutique-style hotel, out of the crowds of Waikiki so access in and out is easy, but close enough to all of the action. Great little wine bar and restaurant, rooms are comfortable, and in my limited experience, no problem with upgrades or status amenities (and I'm only a Gold). Hope you enjoy your stay!

Aloha.
Old Aug 30, 2001, 6:09 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone tried to book an ALON for 100,000 points here?

I know the chart says the hotel does not participate, however, the chart says that HGVC does not participate but they really do (have a resv. for ALON @ HGVC in Waikiki).

[This message has been edited by chix (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old May 18, 2002, 5:09 am

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
Doubletree Honolulu

Has anyone stayed at the Doubletree Honolulu?

I booked 3 nights there for Thursday, Friday and Saturday of next week. The rate is super cheap compared to the HHV - less than half on the bottom-end.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but as a Diamond VIP who understands the way things work: for $78 a night just how marginal is it? Any tips for grocery stores and reasonable restaurants?

Thanks Everyone !

------------------
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,and there you will forever long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

200 nights/200 legs a year
Old May 18, 2002, 6:11 am
Original Member

I stayed there a couple of years ago. The rooms are average. I remember the staff being very nice. It's about a block or two from the beach.
Old May 18, 2002, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would recommend doing a search using the word "Honolulu" in this forum. A number of topics regarding DT will come up.

Here is one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002566.html
Old May 18, 2002, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hotlancer:
Has anyone stayed at the Doubletree Honolulu?
I don't want to sound like a pessimist but as a Diamond VIP who understands the way things work: for $78 a night just how marginal is it? Any tips for grocery stores and reasonable restaurants?
</font>
hot,
If my stays are representative (which I believe they are) then there is no reason for you to feel pessimistic or concerned just because the rate seems low. It is a pleasant boutique-like hotel with 2 blocks or so of the beach and the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Pool is small but still adequate. Never had any trouble receiving status amenities. Business acquaintances of mine in honolulu suggest this hotel to their clients and contacts.
Regarding food the Ala Moana Mall is within walking distance and should be sufficient for at least some meals with a Morton's steakhouse and a popular (for lunch) open air restaurant at Nieman Marcus or Macy's. If I remember correctly there is a small market connected to the shopping center.
jerry

[This message has been edited by jerry a. laska (edited 05-18-2002).]
Old May 18, 2002, 5:36 pm

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
Thanks everyone for the information. Sounds like the property is a reasonably priced when in comparison to the other HH properties in Hawaii.

------------------
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,and there you will forever long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

200 nights/200 legs a year
Old May 18, 2002, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DMD, MAR PLT
Hot -

We stayed there for one night in February after arriving late and left the next day for the Big Island. We also had a cheap rate and as a Diamond I was upgraded to a small suite (without asking), got breakfast coupons for the restaraunt (without asking) and was given a cookie that had been baking in a drawer for about three days (without asking).

The hotel was clean and we were tired so it was fine for our needs. However, if you're going looking for that "resort feel" I wouldn't stay there for any length of time. The rooms were decorated seemingly in the early 1980's and are a little tired. If you don't care about the hotel then the cheap rate is just the ticket.

Also, points posted rather quickly.
Old May 18, 2002, 10:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hotlancer:

&lt;snip&gt;
Any tips for grocery stores and reasonable restaurants?
&lt;snip&gt;
</font>
Padovani's is a great bistro and wine bar located at the Doubletree.
http://zagat.com/Search/Details.asp?...ular&RID=19277
You can also get chocalates there
http://www.padovani-e-gourmet.com/

Keo's has good Thai food and is a short walk to Kuhio Ave.
http://zagat.com/search/Details.asp?...=1&PID=1&LID=8
Old May 19, 2002, 3:59 am

There's a reason that this property is 1/2 the others; it's a dump. You been warned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.