Lockheed Constellation at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2000, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.

For any of you aviation history buffs who may be interested, the L1049 Super G Constellation of Save-A-Connie will be at JFK from June 13 to 15 to help TWA celebrate its 75th anniversary. I am going to Kansas City on the 12th and will be flying back to JFK on the Connie (as a member of the organization).

For additional information, visit the Save-A-Connie web site at www.saveaconnie.org.

Thanks!!
Old Jun 4, 2000, 9:51 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Ahhh...I envy you! Talk about a flight more special than even the Concorde...on the most beautiful propliner ever built! Enjoy your special day, take lots of photos and post them online for all of us to see.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop
Old Jun 4, 2000, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Art, is this the same Connie that was "rescued" from the Air Force Boneyard in Tucson and restored to full health? If it was, I remember when they pulled her our of mothballs. She had been there for quite some time and the first task, after stripping off the masking and sealer, was to remove about three feet of bird doo-doo that was present all through the fuselage due to a poor job of initial sealing.

Hope you enjoy the trip and, like others have said, take lots of pix and post them. Would even like a copy of some via e-mail if you don't mind!
Old Jun 5, 2000, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
To Spartacus,

Yes this is the same Connie which was rescued from the boneyard in 1986. Our group is made up of many ex TWA employees. We also have a Martin 404, and we're working on a DC3. There has been talk also that we are going to acquire a DC-7 which has become available.

I will post pictures when I return.

Thanks for the kind words
Old Jun 5, 2000, 7:20 am

I flew out of IAD two weeks ago and noticed a Connie off one of the runways. Beautiful plane.

Also, I used to see one at the Camerio Airport just outside of Pt. Mugu, CA. Not sure if it's still there, though.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 6:42 pm
Original Member

I am curious with 2 questions--does all the work at S-A-C get done at MKC? Is riding on the Connie noise/vibration wise more like a modern jet or a commuter plane? Biggest prop plane I've ever been on is an ATR 72, and a Convair (back on Republic several times--loved the art deco type seats with CONVAIR on die-cast aluminum plates on the armrests.

JL
Old Jun 7, 2000, 6:00 am
Original Poster

To Jamiel,

As far as I know, the work on the Connie is done at MKC. As far as the noise/vibration, I will let you know after the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.