Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2002, 12:51 pm

DOUBLETREE ALANA WAIKIKI

HAS ANYONE STAYED AT THE DOUBLETREE IN HONOLULU LATELY? I HAVE FOUND A PRETTY GOOD RATE COMPARED TO THE HILTON. IS IT WORTH IT TO SAVE SOME $ OR IS THE HILTON THAT MUCH BETTER?
Old Oct 10, 2002, 1:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
I'm doing a couple of run stays there this year (most recent stay last month) to complete my qualification for the 50K HHonors point bonus. It's an easy walk to the public beach and the restaurants at the Hilton Hawaiian Village from the Doubletree. Don't plan on a great ocean view, but the rooms are OK and much more economical than at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 3:01 pm

My wife and I stayed at HHV for the 50k run. Booked cheapest room at the timeshare part. We were upgraded as a gold to the Rainbow Tower 7th floor, corner room with fabulous 180 degree view of the beautiful Pacific Ocean. Next night, late checkout and you can walk over, went to the Doubletree, nice suite upgrade.Following night back to HHV,were upgraded to the same room! Attended the timeshare presentation for 30,000 more points. Used late checkout (5pm) to make it tot he airport.Made out real well with the three stays and because of the late checkouts was not to inconvenienced.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 3:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
WAYNEBETHANY , welcome to FlyerTalk. You might want to do a search too; there have been several threads this year on the HNL DT. Searching with "Honolulu Doubletree," e.g., yields these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003354.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004249.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004257.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004855.html

Re the Hilton Hawaiian Village, you might want to start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/003762.html

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 10-10-2002).]
Old Oct 10, 2002, 4:48 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Here's another recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/005117.html

Based on info received right here, I booked some buds of mine an award stay at the Alana!

They check in today!

I'm curious to see if they'll be upgraded
and get the bkfst4free since I've given them the certs. (Me Gold - and it appears that when a Gold books an award stay for someone else, the 'Gold status' still shows up in the record).

Anyway, whatever... The trip.com shows UAL 65 right on time!

BTW WAYNEBETHANY, welcome to FT! But please don't shout at me (thanks for not using caps)!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 10-10-2002).]
Old Oct 10, 2002, 8:20 pm

Stayed at both the DoubleTree Alana and the HHV. Both are nice properties. If you want the "true" Hawaiin experience (beach, pool, tiki torch, etc.) I recommend the HHV. If you want a nice place to stay and aren't worried about the extras, then the DoubleTree is a good value. Good service, better chance of a room upgrade, and a five minute walk to the HHV and the beach. One thing I didn't like about the Alana is that there is no self-parking...valet only and that got expensive from tipping. Have fun!

[This message has been edited by pacman (edited 10-10-2002).]
Old Oct 11, 2002, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE TRUE HAWAIIAN EXPERIENCE!!!!??? The world is now a perverted place. If the HHV is the "true" Hawaii experience then Disneyworld is a nature holiday.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 2:07 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
As a Diamond, I stayed at Doubletree Alana about a month ago - and was very disappointed in the property.
No upgrade and bad attitudes by several front desk personnel.

The bed stunk, room service was waaay overpriced, and phone charges were insane.

DO NOT STAY THERE. YOU WERE WARNED..))
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:33 pm

I wouldn't say that the Doubletree stinks but also wouldn't argue against anyone who says it does stink. It is OK at best. There is absolutely nothing distinguishing about it. I stayed there for the last night of my 2.5 week vacation after being at the HWV for a week and other B&B's on Maui and by the volcano. I was very glad that I was only there for one night.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:27 pm

Doubletree Alana stinks!
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier, IC Ambassador, HHONORS Diamond VIP, Priority Club Platinum
Stayed there last December -- got a wonderful $89 rate and was upgraded (by my gold) at checkin to a suite. The free breakfast was a nice added bonus. The rooms are just ok -- but our view was good and only a 3-4 minute walk to the beach! Enjoy your trip.

------------------
UAL Premier, Northwest Silver Elite, Hilton Gold VIP
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:38 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
I'm curious to see if they'll (as non-honors members) be upgraded and get the bkfst4free since I've given them the certs. Me Gold...</font>
Yea. They got it all with the certs I gave them. UpGraded4free with bkfst4free.

Guess Hilton extends these 'Honors' to folks who receive certs from Gold members... just as if they were the Gold member.

Old Feb 10, 2003, 2:39 pm

Doubletree in Honolulu

I am looking at a reservation for the Honolulu doubletree hotel it is a "1 bedroom suite ocean view non-smoking" for $144+tax per night. I have a Radisson hotel booked as oceaview for 137.50+tax per night. Is the Double tree a nicer hotel when you get a "Suite" then the radisson regular rooms? Thanks for any help

------------------
Sorry mama i gots to get all the miles i can

Brian
Old Feb 10, 2003, 2:49 pm

I stayed 3 nights at the Radisson Prince Kuhio last September. It's a very nice hotel, much nicer than I expected. Rooms are comparable to a standard Hilton or Doubletree. The pool and hot tub are on the 10th floor which is actually the top of the parking structure. Standard pool, nothing special. There is a pool bar as well. Since the pool is 10 floors up it tends to get very windy. The Radisson is a block and a half from the beach. The beach in that section of Waikiki is very narrow. I'd stay there again if the price was right.

I've never stayed at the Doubletree but I know where it is. I much prefer its location (across the street from the HHV) to the Radisson's. The beach at the HHV is the best in Waikiki. All things equal, i'd go with the Doubletree based on location. But either way you'll have a blast.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:07 pm

We've just stayed at the Doubletree in Honolulu for 1 night... The location is very good. Next to the busy, trendy, shopping street... [forgot the name... I'm not very good with the long Hawaiian street names ]

Anyways, the room was pretty nice. We stayed with a 25K HHonors cert and they put us on the 18 floor. The hotel has 19 floors. It could be considered a suite as it has its own bedroom and living area. Furniture is a bit on the old side, but good enough for us. The staff gave us the std doubletree cookies at check-in. Since they don't have a lounge, they gave us a cert for $10 for both of us, barely enough for breakfast for one person Otherwise, I can't complain about this hotel. We didn't have to go to the beach because we stayed at the HWV the week prior to this stay, so can't tell you how the walk to the beach is.

The worse part of this hotel if you have a car is that the parking is valet. $11 a day with unlimited in-out, but you should tip the guy who brings you the car and it can be costly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.