Wiki Posts
Search

what is "B" fare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2000, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
what is "B" fare?

i am purchased LAX-MEX-LAX on united operated by mexicana with a full Y fare.

my ticket shows LAX-MEX as Y, but MEX-LAX as B. i don't know what this is, but am concerned that i won't get milage credit or status miles. (this trip will put me in range of prem ex on UA!).

any enlightenment would be appreciated!

kevin
Old Nov 3, 2000, 9:51 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I believe B is also considered as full fare on most airlines... is there a difference between the miles you would get with a Y fare and B fare?
Old Nov 3, 2000, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I flew MEX in Sept to LAX and no matter what the usually buyable fare type in coach are you get 100% of miles flown IF your MP # is in the booking.

B on UA is a high priced fare. On MEX it may be a cheapie. Who cares, they both get miles unless they are "bucket shop" type cheapies.
Old Nov 6, 2000, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I always thought on AA that "B" fare was a corporate negotiated fare when being used against the full "Y" fare. All other fares that received a discount kept their same letter. Only the "Y" fare changed to "B" when applying a Corp. Disc.
Old Nov 7, 2000, 6:16 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
You can access a "B" fare without a corporate discount. "B" is usually described as a capacity controlled full-fare ticket. While it is not cast in stone, most "B" tickets run approximately 12-15% below full "Y".
Old Nov 8, 2000, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
Related Question: Is there anywhere to find out what the different codes represent? I have tickets in "C" which I think is business; but what's "A" and "N"??
Old Nov 8, 2000, 8:13 pm
Original Member

On AA (and I think most airlines), B is considered full fare (i.e. refundable) but has a 3-day advanced purchase requirement.

--Jim
Old Nov 9, 2000, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Yes, Jim is right!! My husband just flew back from PHL and he bought a full fare ticket quite last minute (but 4 days ahead of the return date) and the ticket was fully changeable, refundable yet we didn't find out later that it was a "B" fare in the return portion. One difference between a "Y" fare and a "B" fare in AA is that if you want to use miles to upgrade only a "Y" fare allows you to use 5000 miles for one way upgrade while all other fares will cost you 15000 miles. So, needless to say, he found out while trying to do upgrade that the return segment was a "B" fare. Make no difference in accuring miles, or using stickers.

Helen
Old Nov 10, 2000, 5:15 pm

In CO a "B" fare is quite a low priced one. My last TLV-EWR-DFW-EWR-TLV was on "B" fare and it came to a total of around 1100$ instead of the regular 1500$ I pay for a "K" fare.
Old Nov 11, 2000, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
thx everybody for your help-

don't know why i was booked in Y on the first leg and B on the way back; but i got the miles!

kevin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.