Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alana Waikiki {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2002, 6:50 am

I like the Doubletree too. Have stayed at both hotels (incl that incredible suite at the Doubletree) and prefer the relative quiet and personal service of the Doubletree. The grounds at the HHV are wonderful but the regular rooms in the Tapa and Rainbow towers are just that...regular. The corner rooms of the Rainbow are worth fighting the crowds for but I don't know if you can specifically reserve one. I don't think the oceans views from the Tapa Tower are much better than those from the Doubletree.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:48 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I'mNeverHome:
...Last time i was there i had the best upgrade of my entire life to a real penthouse suite with two bathrooms, a large living room with a dining room table and pieces of original pottery. The 'L' couch was humoungus and the room service was great...</font>
I'mNeverHome: I have a few questions...

Was this upgrade at the DT?
Are you Gold or Diamond?
And what room type did you reserve originally?

And to anyone else who has info - I'm thinking of going there in November and I'm Gold. I called the hotel and they said that they'd upgrade me one room type higher if available. My goal is to get an ocean view and also to pay the least possible (natch!). Thus, I'm trying to figure out which room to book.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:05 pm

sk3,
There are only about 5 'penthouse' suites at the Doubletree. And I think just 2 of those have an ocean view (across Ft DeRussy Park). There are smaller 'Alana' suites on each floor -- looked like 1 per floor on the ocean side and maybe 2 per floor on the mountain side. I suspect an upgrade from an ocean view Alana suite may take you to one of the great penthouse suites.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 4:47 pm
sk3
Suspended

Thanks for your reply!

Regarding those penthouse suites - do they have 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 8:45 pm
vandykes44

Hi Noel,

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree last November and were upgraded to a very nice suite. We thought the room, with a view of the beach, was wonderful, and for the price we paid, about 79, the suite was a great deal.

We were only there for a night and felt perfectly happy walking the 2 blocks to the beach the next morning for a dip in the ocean before we had to catch our plane home. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Shelley

Old Aug 22, 2002, 5:55 am

We stayed at the DT last December and were upgraded to a penthouse suite. I believe it had 1 1/2 bathrooms. Being on the top floor was nice, and it had 2 balconies, but the views were of the apartments, parking lot, and businesses below, with distant views of the mountains (hills?). Try to get a front-facing suite if you get upgraded.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 6:11 am

The penthouse suite we stayed in had a single separate bedroom, 2 full baths (one w/jacuzzi), two balconies (off living area and bedroom), and a large living/dining area w/wet bar. The stereo system w/speakers in the bathrooms is a nice touch! It was kinda wierd when the phone rang tho'... five phones ringing at once is quite the wake-up call.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 8:55 am
sk3
Suspended

Thanks everyone! But....I'm still trying to find out what room you originally booked that allowed you to be upgraded to the suites and if you're Gold or Platinum?

Sorry to be so needy!
Old Aug 22, 2002, 4:24 pm

i am not so sure that the room you originally book has much impact. And plus i don't know.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 5:31 am

I booked the cheapest room online in May for a December stay and, when we got to the hotel, we were upgraded to the penthouse without asking.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 7:15 am

We ended up with a penthouse room after trying to book a regular room. I was pleased Hilton honored their reservation agent's mistake.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 9:52 am
sk3
Suspended

You guys are the best! I truly appreciate all the info.

I hate to ask this again, but I'm still trying to figure out MY chances of getting upgraded.

I would love to know if those of you who were upgraded to the suites are Gold or Diamond?

I'm just Gold, and like I said earlier, I was told by the hotel's front desk that I would only be upgraded to the next category up. So what I've been trying to figure out is - did she say that because it's the "official" policy when in fact better upgrades are actually given or....
were the better upgrades given to you folks because you're Diamonds and the fact that I'm just a Gold is why she stated that I'd only get a "one room type higher" upgrade.

Thanks again guys!

[This message has been edited by sk3 (edited 08-23-2002).]
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:19 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Ok, so my buds are getting the DoubleTree4free over the HHV.

Deciding factor: I liked the 'botiqueness' mentioned, and Murphey's Law (ie. HHV potential mold. I know that's where they'd wind up, cause the 'best laid plans often go...', you know. ). Plus that full American breakfast sounded to good to pass up, too.

So my next question would be, would that be THE bkfst4free, if one was Hilton Gold?

So anyway, vandykes44, how did you get from the airport to the hotel? Cab for about $28, rental car, or shuttle... or does someone know if there's a simple way by city bus?

I always rent a car in HNL. But these friends don't want to do that - what with parking fees - and not knowing the territory, etc.

Personally, I still think that they should rent a car... especially since I recommended Hanauma Bay or hang gliding at Dillingham Field, the 1st morning after arrival.

And one other thing re. the typical Gold bennies and bkfst4free, if I book this as a Gold, will these benefits be extended to the folks in whose name I issue the award?

I rather of doubt it... but when I booked it FOR THEM, the agent said, 'I'll just go ahead and put in a request for a GOLD upgrade.'

And after all, who am I to argue: I saw no need to clarify such nice diatribe.

Additional input anyone...???

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 08-23-2002).]
Old Aug 23, 2002, 4:09 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
I am a Gold. Have stayed at the Doubletree Alana twice, and have been upgraded to an extremely large room on the floor below the penthouse level on the second visit. I don't think I had status on the first visit. Two balconies, great view (apartments, partial oceanview, and a park), king bed, and microwave, kitchen sink and frig. I looked at the floor plan and it was double the size of a regular room. 79 dollars a night. I have received a voucher for breakfast when I was gold (on request). The first day I had full american breakfast, and the second day I got something to go (HUGE pineapple plate, and side order of something) since I was leaving for the airport and was short on time. I was told that the voucher was valued at 10 dollars, so on the full breakfast I paid less than 3 dollars. The people are very nice at this hotel (no snobbery) and I prefer smaller hotels. I really hate having to walk thru the lobby for eons before I even get to the elevator (Outriggers and Sheratons). I usually take the local bus from the airport (1.50 - #19 or 20, I think) and take a shuttle back to the airport because I buy a lot of goodies to bring home. You can get the shuttle for under 10 bucks with a coupon available in any of those free sightseeing pamphlets. I buy a 15 dollar bus pass good for 4 days, and if they want to rent a car, they have a car rental on the ground floor of the Doubletree. It all depends on how long they are staying, how many people, and where they want to go.

My 2 cents.

Linda
Old Aug 23, 2002, 6:40 pm

Bus 19 and 20 will take you from HNL to Waikiki in about 45 min. to 1hr 15 min, (depending on traffic and time of day). It's $1.50 one-way. 19 and 20 are supposed to run roughly twice hourly and should probably be staggered, but usually when you see one coming, the other is not far behind. If your friends have a lot of luggage, they should take the shuttle ($9, I think, roughly 30 min.) as only one piece of luggage per person is allowed on Da Bus (luggage has to fit on your lap or under your seat). Bus 22 goes from Waikiki/Ala Moana to Hanauma Bay and Sealife Park on the windward side. I said it before and I'll say it again: Honolulu bus drivers are among the nicest people on earth, but they crank the AC to the max, so make sure to have a light jacket or sweater along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.