Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Airport / Harbor Island {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego Airport / Harbor Island {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:58 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist
Know you're staying w/Priceline, but if you're in area next time and can be up by La Jolla, you might also want to look into the Hilton Lodge At Torrey Pines. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on weekends. I'll be there for a night in January and got a net direct rate of $99. The next cheapest rate was $205, and this may be Hilton's nicest property in the area.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 4:35 pm

I stay at this property quite frequently and recommend it. As far as getting to the Gaslamp district, I always have the shuttle bus take me and save the cab fare. This hotel is where Alaska flight crews stay, and part of their deal is shuttle to/from Gaslamp. I have never had a problem getting a shuttle to/from Gaslamp, unless it is after midnight.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 4:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My spouse and I loved the hotel a couple of summer ago; a perfect high floor room from whose balcony you could watch both the runway at SAN and the bay. We enjoyed the restaurant so much we ate there a couple of times.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:05 am

I have always liked it. Wonderful views,nice rooms and for me great service.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:51 am

If you are going there on vacation and just interested in the views, don't need concierge service, spa service and like the isolated area, this is a fine location.

If you like service and want to be pampered beyond having a nice view, stay somewhere else.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:08 am

I received excellent service there a couple of weeks ago during a one night stay and can't recall a truly bad experience there in the other half a dozen times I have stayed at the location. I have eaten at a couple of good restaurants within walking distance (don't recall the names). I kind of like the fact that it is a bit isolated, but close to the airport for an early morning flight out. And, as said before, there are some great views to be had from some of the rooms.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:56 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by in_vivo:
...isolated area... </font>
I think "isolated" is a bit strong? Not like it's Barstow or something. When we stayed there the shuttle driver was happy to take us to the Amtrak station and from there we could trolley anywhere.

Old Dec 13, 2003, 8:17 pm

I was there in May and the stay was unremarkable. As coincidence would have it, I shared an elevator with several Alaska female flight attendants.

I had a car so the trip to the Gas Lamp district was simple. There is virtually nothing to do in the area of the hotel. That is what is meant by the relative term of "isolated."

Of course, I was not particularly impressed with the Gas Lamp district either, though it seemed to be a slow night.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:44 pm

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan
Unhappy San Diego Airport / Harbor Island Hilton experience - what are your thoughts?

Here is my experience/report on the San Diego Airport/Habor Island Hilton ...

I landed on a Tuesday night at the stroke of midnight and after picking my car rental, I was in the lobby of the hotel by 12:30am. The hotel is very close to the major car rentals which is quite nice.

I go to check in (reserved a king size room) and I'm told that the only room they have for me is a double that they are sold out. No upgrades available but I could ask in the morning to be switched for my second night.

I go down to my room (104) drop off my bags and walked back over to the checkin area to have a wake-up call. I go back to my room and my key won't work. After double checking to make sure I was at the right room, I tried again. Long story short, the battery in the lock died and the "engineer" had to come in to charge the lock. I finally got into my room around 1:45am. I was offered a room that was "freshly painted" but the aroma was too strong to be able to sleep in.

The gentlemen at the desk was very polite and very apologetix for the experience. He suggested that he would remove the parking fee and take 50% off my bill. I told him that I appreciate the offer but since I get reimbursed for my bills by my firm, that didn't do a whole lot for me. I asked him to see if his manager in the morning would consider doing a "free night" cert since I would be coming back to the hotel again in 2008 for multiple stays - I told him my trips to SAN this year were complete after this one). He agreed it was a good idea and told me that in the morning I should pack my bags and they would get my upgraded to a different room.

So I get back to the hotel in the afternoon and the guy at the desk (totally different) handed over my new room keys. I asked about an upgrade and he told me he couldn't do that (keep in mind I am Diamond). Interestingly enough, an hour later I was in the lobby and I overhead a guy ask for an upgrade when he checked in and they were happy to do so! So I get my new room key for 520 and there is an envelope with the key. I go up to my room, which now has a strong aroma of smoke, and see that I was given a cert for one free night good for one year - expires early 2008. So I definitely appreciate that, unfortunately I won't be back until June 08 and I was hoping to extend a business stay and fly my wife out to sight see. Oh well.

So back to the smokey room - I call the front desk and ask if my room was a smoking room because of the smell. I was told that it wasn't and they hung up. So much for that. Tired as I was, I wasn't about to keep buggin them about it.

The thing now that really gets to me is that I wasn't given an upgrade, even after the trouble I went though, and there was no mention or offer to me of the "executive lounge" which supposedly exists per their website.

I'm kinda bummed out about this property and not really sure I would come back.

Those are my thoughts for now - maybe I'll add more later.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:27 am

Programs: former NW Plat & HH Diamond, NA Executive Elite - now just a DL Gold sitting in the back of the plan
Oh yea - VIP In-Hotel Benefit Preferences! Well, I got a candy bar and some kind of chips. No beverage. No nice white fluffy white robe (not that I ever use it, but its the point that its tradition and seemed to fall through the cracks this time).

I think my venting/blowing off steam is done for tonight. Off to bed.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Is there parking near so you can skip the $22 a day at the hotel ?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Hilton San Diego Airport not worth the money

Nothing much has changed at this property. I just got back from a less than satisfactory stay. They do list that the property is "under construction" right now.

Got to the hotel after 9PM. I was supposedly given an upgrade to a King room. If the bed that was in the room was a king, it must be from Munchkin land. No waters or candy bar in the room as are my preferences. For what I paid, the room was cramped, slow Internet and just not a good experience.

I will not be staying at this Hilton property again when in San Diego. The Hilton San Diego Mission Valley is the polar opposite of the Airport property. It is updated, clean and the service is excellent. If you need to stay near the San Diego Airport stay at the Mission Valley property.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by shadowbozo
If you need to stay near the San Diego Airport stay at the Mission Valley property.
The Hilton Bay Front is by far the BEST Hilton downtown. Great views, close to the convention center, great breakfast buffet, and overall best decor.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thashicray
The Hilton Bay Front is by far the BEST Hilton downtown. Great views, close to the convention center, great breakfast buffet, and overall best decor.
I agree with the location of the Bay Front. Unfortunately, I always end up staying near the airport for an easy escape to my next location.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by shadowbozo
They do list that the property is "under construction" right now.
How bad was the noise from the construction if you happened to be around during the daytime? When I called the hotel yesterday they mentioned that all the construction is almost complete and its only areas of the lobby that are under construction now and was assured that the rooms were away from the lobby. Is this true? I've booked a 9-day stay here and will be working from the hotel part of the time, so I'll appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.