FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton San Diego Airport / Harbor Island {US-CA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/123275-hilton-san-diego-airport-harbor-island-us-ca.html)

ranles Jan 23, 2001 12:48 pm

Hilton San Diego Airport / Harbor Island {US-CA}

Gold, letter written to GM in advance stating that were we traveling on to celebrate our anniversary (no reply to letter). Stay was on points.

Property is somewhat "tangled" up with the AP, although easy to find. Ocean on one side and "back bay" on the other. Parking is $10/nt.
Talking with desk agent, check-in went smooth as well as some small talk. Offered an array of "freebies"...drink, 20% off lunch or dinner at Sierra Pacific (anyone who wants this can have it, e-mail me for my address and send a SASE), 2 free breakfasts! This was a Saturday night. Unfortunately, the drink ticket turned out to be for only one (sort of embarrassing). The bar was a large room with very modest furnishings. They did have a fire (gas) going and fish tanks.
We were given a very modest size room on the top floor (9) with a back bay/marina view. A small balcony was nice as was a large bathroom with shower and separate spa tub. We had been at the zoo all day and were in line to relax and have a pizza delivered to the room. No such items on the menu. Only "real" entres, no sandwitches either.

The room has (903) a king bed, 4 pillows, and robes. Full sundries in the bathroom. It was clean and ready at check-in.

Breakfast, Sunday morning was lonely, but full. The certs. were good for the buffet. While the food temperature could have been improved, the rest was well done. Coffee service was good. Scrambled eggs were cooked, as was the bacon. Sausage was bearly heated. No toast, but sweet rolls and muffins. French toast and waffles (precooked sitting in the warmer rounded out the offerings.

All in all, not a bad stay. Would choose again. Do prefer the Hyatt Islandia, but it is considerable North.

Gus Feb 21, 2001 10:28 am

What can I expect?

I have a standard room booked at the Harbour Island Hilton, San Diego for one night. When I check in and show the desk I am now Gold VIP, can I expect to be upgraded to a Harbour View.

RobertS975 Aug 29, 2003 5:50 am

Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island

I have stayed at this property several times over the past two years. Not once have I ever gotten off the elevator and turned in the right direction to get to my room. Not once! Just by chance alone, it should have happened. I am not usually directionally stupid, so the layout must be confusing.
Ever happen to any of you?

jabez Aug 29, 2003 6:33 am

I've stayed there many times and really like the hotel. I still remember sitting out on the deck and watching a yacht race one beautiful SAN day. I,however,don't recall a confusing layout.

eDiveBuddy Aug 29, 2003 9:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:

Ever happen to any of you?
</font>
Maybe at 2AM http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

StanTheMan Aug 29, 2003 9:40 am

I have stayed there three or four times and agree it is a pretty confusing layout. They could probably improve the situation by adding a bit to their directional signage.

blawson Sep 9, 2003 6:50 am

Harbor Island Hilton San Diego

I will be staying her next month (a priceline bid) - can anyone tell me what they think of it. When we go out for an evening we will not be taking our car (so we can enjoy a few beers) - anyone know if their is any public transport to the Gas Lamp area or is it a taxi? If so - how much is the taxi? Any comments would be much appreciated.

jabez Sep 9, 2003 7:05 am

I like this property. I always get a great water view and love to sit on the deck watching the sailboats. I always rent a car,so I can't specifically answer your questions about taxi,but I once rented a bike and biked to the area you're referring to.It's probably only 3-4 miles.The hotel may have a shuttle down there.Give them a call.A taxi shouldn't be too much.Have a great stay!

PaulGQ Sep 9, 2003 7:41 am

ok, here's the deal with harbor island, its 3/4 mile directly across from the airport but it can tricky because its kind of highway like from what I remember. The access road is over and past the rental areas. Taxi shouldnt be more than $6, I don't remember the area being cab zoned like DC. DC can cost 12 bucks to go 500 feet when moving form one zone to another.

I terms of places to go grab a bear, you may be better off staying at the Hilton Gaslamp in my opinion as the Gaslamp Quarter (just under 4 miles from the airport) as a whole, has much more going on as well as a pool hall if you like to play.

There also may be some thing on the way on north harbor drive and pacific highway, but gaslamp is where the actin is when go down.

Great place to check out also is the Seaport Vilage. There are some shops and restaurants there which are nice in the mid afternoon while sipping a corona and watching the boats go by. I remember "REEL NAUTI" being there my last visit.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 09-09-2003).]

TransWorldOne Sep 9, 2003 3:00 pm

- Hilton's own bar has a nice view of the marina and out on the water, as well as patio seating

- Hilton rooms and facilities are fairly nice (complete renovation from an old Travelodge, believe it or not)

- business center near the front desk has complimentary internet access

- The front desk staff (for the most part) is rather rude and inhospitable-- especially to priceline guests

- I've stayed here a few times before without a rental car- you can use public transportation.

1) Take the Hilton shuttle bus or walk to the airport (it is quite a nice walk during the day).

2) Take the #992 San Diego Flyer bus. It departs every 20 minutes or so. There is a bus stop in front of each of the terminals-- One, Two, Commuter. The bus ride is not very long (15-20 minutes). It takes you past the cruise ship terminal (there are some seafood restaurants around this area) and Seaport Village to downtown. There are numerous options for dining & entertainment downtown. Bus fare is $2.25 (if I recall correctly).

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 09-09-2003).]

PaulGQ Sep 9, 2003 3:46 pm

I second the public transit in San Diego. Timely and fairly clean Don't get me wrong, it is a nice facility, but there may be better action less 4 miles away.

I could be mistaken but I don't remember a bus route from Harbor Island though, I though it ran back and forth along pacific and north harbor.

Taxi from the airport to Harbor island is about $5.

Taxi from Harbor island to Gaslamp is $10.

Taxi from Harbor island to Seaport aVillage is $7

I think that should include the tip.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 09-09-2003).]

TransWorldOne Sep 10, 2003 2:18 am

That's because there isn't one. You either need to walk to Pacific or walk/shuttle to the airport to catch the bus.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PaulGQ:
I could be mistaken but I don't remember a bus route from Harbor Island though, I though it ran back and forth along pacific and north harbor.
</font>

PaulGQ Sep 10, 2003 5:24 am

That's what I thought. If funds aren't an issue, then I think taking a taxi is the way to go.

[This message has been edited by PaulGQ (edited 09-29-2003).]

jabez Sep 10, 2003 6:50 am

While I think that SAN is a perfect city for car,if you rent you'll pay for parking at the Harbor Hilton.

in_vivo Dec 10, 2003 11:22 am

The Hilton Harbor Island was the worst Hilton I have stayed at ever. The person who said the front desk is rude to price line members shouldn't feel bad. I paid full price and am Gold and they were very rude to me.

The service in the restaurant is horrible. The high speed Internet connection was down half the time I was there.

The hotel is not near anything but the airport. It is a $10 cab ride each way everytime you want to go the Gas Lamp district or convention center.

No executive floor or lounge.

Stay away from this place. I was told it's a privately owned Hilton. It's not up to par.