Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Honors Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2000, 8:04 am
Original Poster

New Honors Credit Card

Citibank U.S.A. to Launch Hilton HHonors Visa Platinum Card; Co-Branded Visa Card Delivers Wide Range of Benefits

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 22, 2000--Citibank U.S.A. today introduced the Hilton HHonors(R) Visa Platinum card, which will deliver a wide range of benefits specially tailored for business and leisure travelers.

The card awards three Hilton HHonors points for each dollar spent using the Hilton HHonors Visa Platinum card at any of more than 2,000 Hilton HHonors hotels, or two points for each dollar spent at the 19 million merchants that accept Visa, the largest payments network in the world.

"Our partnership with Hilton HHonors allows us to deliver even more value to Citibank customers," said Thomas G. Anderson, president of Citibank U.S.A. "The program will enable Hilton HHonors Visa Platinum cardholders to accrue HHonors points quickly, not only at Hilton HHonors hotels but also via the vast network of Visa acceptance locations globally."

More than 2,000 hotels worldwide participate in the Hilton HHonors guest reward program, including Hilton(R), Conrad International(R), Doubletree(R), Embassy Suites Hotels(R), Hampton Inn(R), Hampton Inn & Suites(R), Hilton Garden Inn(R) and Homewood Suites(R) by Hilton hotels.

Citibank's Hilton HHonors Visa Platinum card has no annual fee and features an introductory zero-percent interest rate on retail purchases, which rises to the prime rate plus 5.9 percent after the introductory six-month period expires. Cardholders who take advantage of the initial offer also will receive 7,500 HHonors upon first use of the card and will automatically become Hilton HHonors Silver VIP members for their first year of card membership.

Hilton HHonors Visa Platinum cardholders have access to a wide range of benefits, including auto rental and travel accident insurance and round-the-clock travel assistance, such as medical and legal referrals, emergency card replacement and cash advances. A 24-hour service line, 1-800-Visa-911, provides customer support.

For more information on the Hilton HHonors Visa Platinum Card, call 888-601-7083.
Old Nov 22, 2000, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Two things:

1. This card seems inferior to the new Plat AMEX Hilton Optima (points per dollar).

2. Why does Hilton want a co-branded card with AMEX and Citibank? I don't believe I have heard of that kind of offering choice but I may be wrong?
Old Nov 22, 2000, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
DL co-brands with AMEX very heavily, but we also just started a partnership with a Delta SkyMiles VISA in Japan too. So I guess companies just do these things to cover all their bases.
Old Nov 22, 2000, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
This is great news. This is the first I've ever heard of a Visa or Master Card with no annual fee that gives points in a rewards program.
Old Nov 28, 2000, 9:03 am

I applied for this card and called Citibank to find the status of my application. After about 30 minutes on the phone (and them denying they have a Hilton co-branded card and trying to have me signup for a Citibank AAdvantage card), somebody finally realized that this card is issued by Citibank USA and not Citibank.

Apparently, Citibank USA ( http://www.citibankusa.com/ )is an affiliate of the regular Citibank ( http://www.citibank.com/ ). Citibank USA is the new name for the portion of Travelers that issued credit cards. (Travlers was bought by Citibank).

Confusing, huh?
Old Dec 1, 2000, 3:49 pm

Chix:

You're missing the point. This is the "Holy Grail" that we've been waiting for:

A Visa or Mastercard WITH NO ANNUAL FEE that earns point or miles in a major affinity program.

Previously, you had to get an airline card that may have gotten you one year free of an annual fee, but then you had to pay thereafter.

Or, you had to get a hotel card like the Marriott Rewards Visa that also costs. Or you had to get a Hilton or Starpoints Optima which, while nice, are AMEX, and are not accepted everywhere.

Or you had those Visa/Mastercards that only allow you points in their own in-house scheme, not in an established program.

This is fantastic news!

Once again, Hilton does something to streghten my ties to their program and give them a leg up on Starwood.

Now...when will the first no annual fee airline card come out? That would be the greatest!

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Dec 1, 2000, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL: PM
Originally posted by steve100:
..this card is issued by Citibank USA and not Citibank.

Apparently, Citibank USA ( http://www.citibankusa.com/ )is an affiliate of the regular Citibank ( http://www.citibank.com/ ). Citibank USA is the new name for the portion of Travelers that issued credit cards. (Travlers was bought by Citibank).

Confusing, huh?
I think its going to get worse with all the mergers going on!

[This message has been edited by Ewele (edited 12-01-2000).]
Old Dec 2, 2000, 12:24 pm

Originally posted by macbravery:
Chix:

A Visa or Mastercard WITH NO ANNUAL FEE that earns point or miles in a major affinity program.
True, you earn HH points with no fee. But this is obviously a bad deal if you really want airline points.

Charge $5K on an airline card and you get 5K miles. Charge $5K with this card (not at Hilton) and you get 10K HH points, which converts back to 1,500 airline miles.

So, the answer to whether to get this card is: It depends. If you just want Hilton stays, then it's fine. But if you really want airline miles, then no.

Old Dec 3, 2000, 1:27 pm

Originally posted by Paul3456:
This is great news. This is the first I've ever heard of a Visa or Master Card with no annual fee that gives points in a rewards program.
Not totally correct. FirstUSA has a free card with Holiday Inn's Priority Club. If you count Priority Club a majore reward program...

Al
Old Dec 9, 2000, 2:51 pm
DOC 2 BE

Thanx Upgrade Me!!!

Just received my new HHonors Citibank Platinum Visa in the mail. Good bye Marriot Rewards Visa with the $30 annual fee and the paltry 3 point/1 point scheme and Silver Elite Status. Of course, I will preferentially use my Amex HHonors credit card which has allowed me to upgrade to Gold HHonors, but for those places not accepting Amex, I now have a viable alternative.

Thanx again for the great post!

Old Dec 20, 2000, 11:13 am

If I just wanted to use a card for hotel stays, which card is better, the Citibank Hilton card or the AMEX Optima card?

Thanks
Old Dec 20, 2000, 11:47 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally posted by macbravery:

The Greenpoints Visa has no annual fee and 500 Delta or Alaska miles for $500 in charges.

Old Dec 20, 2000, 3:31 pm
DOC 2 BE

Originally posted by scrog:
If I just wanted to use a card for hotel stays, which card is better, the Citibank Hilton card or the AMEX Optima card?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-11-2001).]

Old Dec 20, 2000, 3:45 pm

Thakns for the info doc 2 be
Old Dec 29, 2000, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The press release is wrong. I know someone who works at Citibank NA's card division. Citibank NA issues co-branded cards. Citibank USA issues affinity cards.

Co-brand cards are those with the Citibank name.

ie
Citibank AAdvantage Card
Citibank Sony Card

Affinity cards do not carry the Citibank name.

ie
Hilton Honors Platinum Visa
organization cards (alumni groups etc)

Have no idea why this is the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.