Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mattya9
A relaxation room would be nice! Even an upgrade to an Executive room or corner room, as you mentioned, would be great. Any idea if I would have a chance at getting one of those for the stay?

OPS
Exec rooms I think are levels 34-38, deluxe plus above 38 and deluxe 27-34. All are the same size and layout, if given an upgrade to one of these check the app the day before or on the day and see if you can select one of the corner rooms. If not ask when you arrive if one is available or for a higher floor, and avoid rooms with connecting doors.

If you are after a larger room on a 5 night stay I think your only option would be to pay extra for it and negotiate the best price you can. I have received a suite on a 2 night stay but have never stayed longer so don't know if it is possible to get one on a 5 night stay from booking a base room.
mattya9 likes this.

Last edited by ozztraveller; Apr 9, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by Aeolus

Marble bar is beautiful and definitely worth having a look if the people you are with have never been there before. The cons would be it’s small and if you want seating for 15, you’ll need to reserve a section and have them reconfigure the seating.
Zeta is much bigger and existing configuration should easily able to host 12-15. Zeta is not on the rooftop by the way, it’s on the 2nd floor but there’s a balcony section overlooking QVB.
Exactly the info I needed... cheers!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Aeolus

I believe once you have exceeded a certain amount of stays or marked a vip, not only do you get the suites but they will also try to put you in the exact same room. I know that because I’m on of those lucky ones and I know of another person who gets the same.
Also, the relaxation suites are actually really popular on the weekends so if you’re staying over the weekend, it’ll be almost impossible getting one.
I found at around 40 stays decent upgrades became common except on Friday or Saturday night which can be very hit or miss. Never get the same room little less the same room type but then I don't mind the randomness as I like the surprise although a Deluxe room upgrade I would be happy to not see anymore especially as I near 100 stays.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PPro
Quick questions. I'm a new diamond member (via the Aspire card) and arrive at 6:30am in SYD and staying at the SYD Hilton. I booked a King Deluxe room. Will they give me an early check in? If so, will that affect any potential upgrade? I keep getting emails saying that I can upgrade my room for xx USD, but I thought diamond level got free upgrades. Any thoughts are welcome.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Quick questions. I'm a new diamond member (via the Aspire card) and arrive at 6:30am in SYD and staying at the SYD Hilton. I booked a King Deluxe room. Will they give me an early check in? If so, will that affect any potential upgrade? I keep getting emails saying that I can upgrade my room for xx USD, but I thought diamond level got free upgrades. Any thoughts are welcome.
Diamond members do get free upgrades, so you can ignore those emails. The Hilton Sydney generally upgrades Diamond members to rooms that are pretty much standard, but are on higher floors. If your stay is short, you might get an upgrade to a corner room, which is slightly larger. Upgrades to relaxation suites or full suites are quite rare and usually only offered to frequent guests of the property. However, Diamond members do get complimentary breakfast in Glass restaurant as well as access to the executive lounge and full gym.

Early arrival is accommodated if they have rooms available, which depends on how full they were the night before and who checked in before you arrive. You might be offered a choice of an immediately-available room versus waiting for an upgraded room to be available.
tfizzle likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism

Early arrival is accommodated if they have rooms available, which depends on how full they were the night before and who checked in before you arrive. You might be offered a choice of an immediately-available room versus waiting for an upgraded room to be available.
The few of times I have been there, I have been allowed early check-in. I don't know if there is any correlation, but I often see large number of flight crews, ready to head to the airport in the mornings, which could help with the availability of empty rooms. On each occasion I was offered the opportunity to grab breakfast while waiting for my room to be prepared.
Beano and tfizzle like this.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The few of times I have been there, I have been allowed early check-in.
I've had to wait at least twice when arriving very early (around 9am, possibly earlier), but they will let you wait in the Exec lounge, where breakfast is being served. On both occasions the wait was less than the time it took me to have some breakfast.
Beano and tfizzle like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Got in at 8am and they had a nice room ready for me and let us use the lounge also, but then got this nice invitation...

As a Valued Hilton Honors member we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Sydney – we cannot wait to welcome you to the hotel!

To express our gratitude for your loyalty and continued support as our valued Hilton Honors members, this month we will be holding a special Cocktail event to welcome you to the hotel (please see below for details).

We enjoyed a really nice reception in their restaurant with locally sourced wines and great passed appetizers. Also the lounge food and drink is some of the nicest I have seen at a hilton. Nice place.
teemuflyer, RafKa, Beano and 1 others like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by tfizzle
Got in at 8am and they had a nice room ready for me and let us use the lounge also, but then got this nice invitation...

As a Valued Hilton Honors member we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Sydney – we cannot wait to welcome you to the hotel!

To express our gratitude for your loyalty and continued support as our valued Hilton Honors members, this month we will be holding a special Cocktail event to welcome you to the hotel (please see below for details).

We enjoyed a really nice reception in their restaurant with locally sourced wines and great passed appetizers. Also the lounge food and drink is some of the nicest I have seen at a hilton. Nice place.
We were at the same function! Wished I knew who you were and we could’ve had a good chat about flying and hotels.
Great canapés and wines indeed and I also got to chat to the restaurateur and the wines served were his own range.
tfizzle likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Had two stays here last week (1 night and then 3 nights). Pretty much typical stays for this hotel (ie, good on most all levels!) - including corner rooms on both stays, and one of them a "corner" on the top floor (which isn't actually a corner of the building - there are stairs next to it so it's basically just a standard deluxe room with no neighbors on one side)

Only negative was something I've experienced here before - at checkout I had a minibar bill of $40 - 2x$16 (2 bottles of Shiraz apparently) and 1x$8 (not sure what), all on the same day. They did remove them when asked, with the usual claim that because it's an auto minibar you will be charged if you remove something, but I've stayed in enough hotels with auto minibars that there's zero chance I even bumped this one.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by docbert
Had two stays here last week (1 night and then 3 nights). Pretty much typical stays for this hotel (ie, good on most all levels!) - including corner rooms on both stays, and one of them a "corner" on the top floor (which isn't actually a corner of the building - there are stairs next to it so it's basically just a standard deluxe room with no neighbors on one side)

Only negative was something I've experienced here before - at checkout I had a minibar bill of $40 - 2x$16 (2 bottles of Shiraz apparently) and 1x$8 (not sure what), all on the same day. They did remove them when asked, with the usual claim that because it's an auto minibar you will be charged if you remove something, but I've stayed in enough hotels with auto minibars that there's zero chance I even bumped this one.
I had cleaners who knocked over some of the beverages, and I found it on my bill. I’d guess it could happen after you check out, too.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I stayed in Sydney the weekend before last for Ozfest and split my two stays between the West Hotel and the Hilton. I'd been meaning to try the West Hotel since it had opened but had never got around to it.

Due to an esceptionally weekend in Sydney with a huge number of events on incl Vivid both hotels were pretty mch full with literally only a couple of very expensive suites ($1000+) left at the Hilton for the Saturday night.

I've probably had 15 or so stays there in the past couple of years and had an upgrade every time. Unfortunately this time (and no doubt not helped at the 20+ FTers also staying there for Ozfest!) they apologised for no upgrades. I ended up with a standard room which was actually in a pretty bad way. If I'd wanted to stay in a 2 star property in such a bad state I would have booked a 2 star hotel somewhere. I'm not quite sure how housekeeping and maintenance can ignore a wall this bad every day!

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I stayed in Sydney the weekend before last for Ozfest and split my two stays between the West Hotel and the Hilton. I'd been meaning to try the West Hotel since it had opened but had never got around to it.

Due to an esceptionally weekend in Sydney with a huge number of events on incl Vivid both hotels were pretty mch full with literally only a couple of very expensive suites ($1000+) left at the Hilton for the Saturday night.

I've probably had 15 or so stays there in the past couple of years and had an upgrade every time. Unfortunately this time (and no doubt not helped at the 20+ FTers also staying there for Ozfest!) they apologised for no upgrades. I ended up with a standard room which was actually in a pretty bad way. If I'd wanted to stay in a 2 star property in such a bad state I would have booked a 2 star hotel somewhere. I'm not quite sure how housekeeping and maintenance can ignore a wall this bad every day!
Did you report this to management, and if so, what was their response?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Did you report this to management, and if so, what was their response?
Mentioned it at the time and sent an email the following day. They were apologetic and said they'd raise the issue internally and prioritise an upgrade for me on the next visit. That wall backs on to the shower so it's probably water seepage though the tiles.

While that's an appropriate response (and I certainly wasn't expecting anything else from them) the mere fact an internal wall in a room can end up in such a state really shows shortcomings in maintenance and housekeeping which kinda ruins my thoughts of the hotel. I know plenty of others on here love to hate on the property but I really do enjoy my stays there.
teemuflyer and earlyriser like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've probably had 15 or so stays there in the past couple of years and had an upgrade every time. Unfortunately this time (and no doubt not helped at the 20+ FTers also staying there for Ozfest!) they apologised for no upgrades. I ended up with a standard room which was actually in a pretty bad way.
Aside from the water-damaged internal wall, what are the differences between the standard room and what you usually are upgraded into?

I've stayed a lot over the years, and almost always get an "Executive" room that seems like a standard room, but perhaps on a higher floor. A few times I've gotten a corner suite, which is a just a few inches larger than the usual rooms I get. So I'm curious what the differences are with a non-upgraded room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.