Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree with anabolism, you should consider the ferry trip to Manly, if you have not done this before and there is good weather. You will get great photos of the opera house and bridge from the ferry. There are several cafes at Manly and it is pleasant to walk along the beach.
Don't forget the craft brewery 4 Pines (https://4pinesbeer.com.au/) near the harbour..
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:14 pm

Update:

First, I want to thank everyone who gave me advice/tips. The information was invaluable.

I stayed at both the Hilton and the Sheraton; both were very nice and I would return to either of them.

The advice regarding the Opal card was very helpful. I topped up at the Woolworth a couple of times. The card was super convenient and easy to use. Transportation to and from the airport was easy.

As usual, in these matters, I didn’t get to do everything mentioned (I.e., Manly), but, hopefully, next time. The residents of Sydney are very friendly. I really enjoyed talking with the people that I met.

Thank y’all, again.
penegal, teemuflyer and earlyriser like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I stayed at both the Hilton and the Sheraton; both were very nice and I would return to either of them.
Preference(s) for the future? Pros vs. cons of either property?

David
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Preference(s) for the future? Pros vs. cons of either property?

David
It’s about 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. I would happily stay at either one. However, I am Diamond with Hilton and temporarily Platinum Elite with Marriott.

I found the concierges at the Hilton better. Front desk marginally better at the Sheraton. I received room upgrades at both properties, but the Sheraton room was larger as was the bathroom. Advantage Sheraton.

The Sheraton proactively had two bottles of water in the room whereas I had to ask for them at the Hilton. Additionally, the Sheraton gave me a letter, in case I missed going to the lounge, good for two glasses of sparkling wine in the bar AND later that night they delivered a bottle of red wine as a thank you gift.

I had lounge access at both hotels. The Sheraton had a much more extensive selection of food. HOWEVER, the place was a madhouse in the evening. It was crowded and people were piling mountains of food on their plates. It was quite amazing to watch. Also, the staff mixes the drinks and I had to ask three different staffers before I could get my drink. I was told, “it’s on way.” “It’s in process now.” “I’ll have it for you shortly.” “It’s being made.” It become a big joke between the person at the next table and me. Neither of the first two staffers delivered, in spite of their assurances.

The Hilton lounge did not have as an extensive array of food in the evening, but it was more than adequate. Much calmer atmosphere. They also have an afternoon tea break which the Sheraton does not have. Advantage, IMO, goes to Hilton on this aspect.

Breakfast is advantage Hilton. At the Hilton, I could have continental breakfast in the lounge or full breakfast in the restaurant. Sheraton was only continental in the lounge.

YMMV

earlyriser likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It’s about 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. I would happily stay at either one. However, I am Diamond with Hilton and temporarily Platinum Elite with Marriott.

I found the concierges at the Hilton better. Front desk marginally better at the Sheraton. I received room upgrades at both properties, but the Sheraton room was larger as was the bathroom. Advantage Sheraton.

The Sheraton proactively had two bottles of water in the room whereas I had to ask for them at the Hilton. Additionally, the Sheraton gave me a letter, in case I missed going to the lounge, good for two glasses of sparkling wine in the bar AND later that night they delivered a bottle of red wine as a thank you gift.

I had lounge access at both hotels. The Sheraton had a much more extensive selection of food. HOWEVER, the place was a madhouse in the evening. It was crowded and people were piling mountains of food on their plates. It was quite amazing to watch. Also, the staff mixes the drinks and I had to ask three different staffers before I could get my drink. I was told, “it’s on way.” “It’s in process now.” “I’ll have it for you shortly.” “It’s being made.” It become a big joke between the person at the next table and me. Neither of the first two staffers delivered, in spite of their assurances.

The Hilton lounge did not have as an extensive array of food in the evening, but it was more than adequate. Much calmer atmosphere. They also have an afternoon tea break which the Sheraton does not have. Advantage, IMO, goes to Hilton on this aspect.

Breakfast is advantage Hilton. At the Hilton, I could have continental breakfast in the lounge or full breakfast in the restaurant. Sheraton was only continental in the lounge.

YMMV
Many thanks for the assessment and comparison. Headed to Oz Fest in May (Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019) and have been deciding between the Sheraton and other (now) Marriott properties and also have my status with Hilton in order to select where to stay.

David
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
HOWEVER, the place was a madhouse in the evening. It was crowded and people were piling mountains of food on their plates. It was quite amazing to watch. Also, the staff mixes the drinks and I had to ask three different staffers before I could get my drink. I was told, “it’s on way.” “It’s in process now.” “I’ll have it for you shortly.” “It’s being made.” It become a big joke between the person at the next table and me. Neither of the first two staffers delivered, in spite of their assurances.
It's funny because this is exactly how I'd describe the Hilton lounge! Well, other than the fact you'd be lining up for drinks rather than getting bad table service.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:27 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
At the SOTP you need to get there before the evening service begins to grab a great table or evening outside.

They do have muffins and other pastries out in the afternoon.

Frankly, the view from the Sheraton Club is only second to the Intercon’s.

I don’t know why drinks took so long, however they offer table service which the Hilton doesn’t requiring you to stand in a queue. The reason they don’t offer self serve is Responsible Service of Alcohol legislation.

I will always recommend the SOTP over the Hilton. Having stayed many times at both I think the Hilton is a dull, business hotel with average service and views of buildings with a basic lounge while the SOTP is a beautiful property with higher floors offering Harbour views and the club lounge offerings include King Prawns, Oysters and better options than the Hilton.

Amongst Australian HHonors members on other forums the lack of decent upgrades at the Hilton has become such a joke we refer to those who still stay there as suffering Stockholm Syndrome.

rick253 and penegal like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Debating between the Sheraton on the Park and the Hilton is somewhat silly, as which is "better" depends on what one cares most about; there are many objective differences but some people find one thing makes a big difference while to someone else it is not much. The Sheraton has much larger rooms and the lounge has much more extensive evening food. The Sheraton has a tiny pool that is upstairs, sunny, and pretty. The Hilton pool is part of the health club, in the basement, but has two 25-meter lanes (and a shorter third one) with lane markers and dividers. Someone who enjoys lounging by a pool or soaking in one will far prefer the Sheraton, while someone who enjoys lap swimming for exercise will find the Hilton a terrific pool and the Sheraton a useless one. The Hilton upgraded their mattresses a few years ago, so they are now far superior to those at the Sheraton. Someone who is driven mad by tiny rooms will detest the Hilton, while someone who is agony after sleeping on a poor mattress will detest the Sheraton. I think it's far more useful to describe the specific differences and let people decide for themselves which is better for them.
FLYMSY and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Trying to get a sense of how this hotel stacks up for diamond members. Visiting for tourism. It would be a paid stay and I also have plat elite status with marriott and was looking at the sydney harbor marriott which would run about $35 more a night than this property. I'm just trying to get a sense of if its better to go with marriott or hilton in this case with the respective status.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Trying to get a sense of how this hotel stacks up for diamond members. Visiting for tourism. It would be a paid stay and I also have plat elite status with marriott and was looking at the sydney harbor marriott which would run about $35 more a night than this property. I'm just trying to get a sense of if its better to go with marriott or hilton in this case with the respective status.
Read posts #349 & 353 and then make your own decision. Or, if that fails, flip a coin.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP

Read posts #349 & 353 and then make your own decision. Or, if that fails, flip a coin.
It would be interesting to see how the Sydney Harbor Marriott compares to the Hilton?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm bummed out I took the Sheraton over the Hilton on a prepaid rate (at least I got a 10% discount) and then Marriott dropped my status to gold so I won't get the lounge access which I could have had with Hilton. Normally I don't do prepaid but the price difference was quite large at the time. Booking the same dates now would cost me an extra $250, so I guess it worked out kinda.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta DM
Great information about Hilton Sydney! I just booked a 5 night stay here in May and am looking forward to it. Question though... As a newly minted Diamond, after I made the reservation, I clicked on the “request upgrade” in the app but it said nothing was available. After digging around a bit on FT, this seems to be a fairly normal occurrence and it seems I’ll just have to inquire upon check in. Can someone confirm this strategy is the correct one? Secondly, I know YMMV when it comes to upgrades (city, hotel, day of stay, season, etc), but given this specific hotel, and for those of you (Diamonds) that have stayed here before, what has been your experience with getting suite upgrades here? Our reservation is a Monday through Friday night reservation, if that helps. Thank you in advance!

OPS
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mattya9
Great information about Hilton Sydney! I just booked a 5 night stay here in May and am looking forward to it. Question though... As a newly minted Diamond, after I made the reservation, I clicked on the “request upgrade” in the app but it said nothing was available. After digging around a bit on FT, this seems to be a fairly normal occurrence and it seems I’ll just have to inquire upon check in. Can someone confirm this strategy is the correct one? Secondly, I know YMMV when it comes to upgrades (city, hotel, day of stay, season, etc), but given this specific hotel, and for those of you (Diamonds) that have stayed here before, what has been your experience with getting suite upgrades here? Our reservation is a Monday through Friday night reservation, if that helps. Thank you in advance!

OPS
Don't think I've had a suite upgrade ever, but have gotten relaxation room several times, even from original booking of a deluxe plus room. Longer stays like yours can be tougher upgrades. Good luck!
mattya9 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mattya9

OPS
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Don't think I've had a suite upgrade ever, but have gotten relaxation room several times, even from original booking of a deluxe plus room. Longer stays like yours can be tougher upgrades. Good luck!
I've only stayed a few times, and only gotten a relaxation room upgrade as well as a DIA. As kirkwoodj mentioned, getting a suite on a 5 day stay is difficult at many properties, including this one, plus you are staying during business days, which generally have a higher occupancy rate to begin with,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.