Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by ozztraveller
I will take the easy option and use a car when I arrive tomorrow night. Hope the lounge is not too crowded tonight and if you have not been there for a few weeks the new Lounge Manager may be working. I gave him a bit of a warning what to expect but he used to work at a golf course so may find the crowd mellow in comparison.
For the last three nights, December 24, 25 and 26, it has been packed out with lines for hot food and drinks and with it difficult to find a seat.. It has been an unpleasant experience which we have left soon after arriving. The staff have however been excellent and coped well. Hopefully it is less busy when you stay.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
For the last three nights, December 24, 25 and 26, it has been packed out with lines for hot food and drinks and with it difficult to find a seat.. It has been an unpleasant experience which we have left soon after arriving. The staff have however been excellent and coped well. Hopefully it is less busy when you stay.
I always thought it would be quite around the 24-25 but did stay once on the 26 and vowed to avoid it in the future. As I am only staying one night I was very lucky to receive a relax room for tomorrow night so I am lucky to have a nice room to go back to if the lounge is busy.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
If you see us at breakfast in the morning say hello. I am quite identifiable with a bandage on my cheek. Long story!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
It's easy, but takes a long time. You get on the train at the airport and ride it all the way to Town Hall, which is half a block from the Hilton. You can buy a one-way or round-trip ticket at the airport, but be aware that the Domestic and International terminals are different stops with different fares, so, e.g., a round-trip from the Domestic terminal won't be enough to get back to the International terminal from town. Or, buy an Opal card and use it for the train to the Hilton plus riding trains and busses around Sydney, then the train back to the Airport.

At Town Hall, easiest is to walk towards the Queen Victoria Building, then after exiting the station keep to the right (the Queen Victoria Building will be to the left). There is a New Zealand Naturals ice cream stall right there. Keep walking, staying to the right, and take the escalator up to street level. The Hilton is next door.
Thanks to you and others for the detailed information. The Hilton Sydney website doesn’t give great directions for public transportation.

I’m flying with United, so will be arriving at the International Terminal. Looking at the Opal website, it seems like I can buy a card at several shops in the International terminal. That airport access fee is sort of pricey comparatively speaking. Thanks for the tip about getting the card.

I’m Diamond with Hilton and, in reading this thread, it seems like some people recommend going to the Executive Lounge to check-in. Any advantage to that over going to the front desk?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

I’m Diamond with Hilton and, in reading this thread, it seems like some people recommend going to the Executive Lounge to check-in. Any advantage to that over going to the front desk?
Only if there’s a big queue at front desk. If your room isn’t ready, they’ll let you wait in EL anyway. Weather lovely yesterday, so I got off train at St James station, used lifts with my big bag, & did the short walk. Use Elizabeth St exit from St James.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Thanks to you and others for the detailed information. The Hilton Sydney website doesn’t give great directions for public transportation.

I’m flying with United, so will be arriving at the International Terminal. Looking at the Opal website, it seems like I can buy a card at several shops in the International terminal. That airport access fee is sort of pricey comparatively speaking. Thanks for the tip about getting the card.

Lifts require room key to access but if your room is not available front desk will give you a key. I use to check in via lounge but now go via front desk, plus have had better luck with being offered an upgrade although tis time of year would be next to impossible without paying extra.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

Only if there’s a big queue at front desk. If your room isn’t ready, they’ll let you wait in EL anyway. Weather lovely yesterday, so I got off train at St James station, used lifts with my big bag, & did the short walk. Use Elizabeth St exit from St James.
That might be a good idea to get in a little walk after getting off the LAX-SYD flight.

Lifts require room key to access but if your room is not available front desk will give you a key. I use to check in via lounge but now go via front desk, plus have had better luck with being offered an upgrade although tis time of year would be next to impossible without paying extra.
I’ll try the front desk first. Thanks.

I’m only going to be in Sydney for two days - first time. After reading through this thread, I’m going to book the first night (Thursday, 1/24) at the Hilton and the the second night (Friday, 1/25) at the other hotel that has been mentioned recently in this thread - Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park (aka SOTP). That way I can decide for myself what all the debate is about these two hotels. Color me curious.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:44 pm

Just noticed this on the Hilton Sydney website:

“Holiday Operating Hours: Please note that Hilton Sydney buffet breakfast in glass brasserie will be relocated between Monday 7th January - Saturday 12th January 2019 in Hilton Sydney event space, returning to normal operation on Sunday 13th January.

glass brasserie will be closed for lunch service from 22nd December (excluding Christmas Day, 25th December) and will re-open on Monday 21st January 2019.

glass brasserie will be closed for dinner service from 1st January until 15th January, re-opening on the 16th January 2019. Please visit Zeta Bar, Marble Bar and Caffé Cino for alternative dining options during these periods.“

Wonder what is going on with the restaurant?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:17 pm

Just noticed this on the Hilton Sydney website:

“Holiday Operating Hours: Please note that Hilton Sydney buffet breakfast in glass brasserie will be relocated between Monday 7th January - Saturday 12th January 2019 in Hilton Sydney event space, returning to normal operation on Sunday 13th January.

glass brasserie will be closed for lunch service from 22nd December (excluding Christmas Day, 25th December) and will re-open on Monday 21st January 2019.

glass brasserie will be closed for dinner service from 1st January until 15th January, re-opening on the 16th January 2019. Please visit Zeta Bar, Marble Bar and Caffé Cino for alternative dining options during these periods.“

Wonder what is going on with the restaurant?
The restaurant is really aimed at business not tourist so it closes every year this time and gets a spring clean.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:54 am

The restaurant is really aimed at business not tourist so it closes every year this time and gets a spring clean.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
And while not as nice a space (views to Pitt St rather than QVB and George St), you get the same options, and arguably much more room in the conference room setup, the restuarant is rather compact for breakfast dining
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Looking at the Opal website, it seems like I can buy a card at several shops in the International terminal. That airport access fee is sort of pricey comparatively speaking.
You can also get the Opal card at the train station itself (with minimum topup of $35 which basically covers a return - put in place to stop a rort of putting cards into negative balance - something that will stop at the airport in early Jan)
However as of early December 2018, if only wanting to take the train - you can just tap on and off with any contactless Mastercard, Visa or Amex (although recognise some US banks are a bit behind on this front) for the same price as a trip using Opal.

Still worth getting the Opal if you plan on taking buses in Sydney (contactless rollout still a few months away) as there are a few more transfer and weekly cap benefits available.

Airport gate fee is a function of funding. When built in the late 90s prior to the Olympics the two airport station (and two regular stations) were privately funded under a 30-year concession. Some talk of it being reduced, but the line itself is at capacity at peak periods so there is some reluctance to induce more demand. (Can be avoided if you've got a bit of time by taking the 400 or 420 bus to Mascot / Rockdale stations instead and transferring to train)

As for the lounges over holiday period - always packed, the ratio of leisure - business travellers changes, so the usage of lounges increases substantially, even if the same number of rooms that notionally have access.
Definitely recommended to get to the lounge before 6 and stake out a table, or after 7 when the rush subsides somewhat.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by moa999
You can also get the Opal card at the train station itself (with minimum topup of $35 which basically covers a return - put in place to stop a rort of putting cards into negative balance - something that will stop at the airport in early Jan).
I'm curious how they're planning to stop this? Not letting you tag off at the airport stations if you go into a negative balance?

While I understand the reasons for the fee it is a rort - and it's supid for the simple reason if there are 2 or more people traveling together it's cheaper to catch a train to Mascott or Wolli Creek and catch an Uber!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I was looking to use points at this property for a trip in April but on a 4 night stay every single night has a different point requirement. Is it a situation where I should book it ahead of time on points because the price in points will only go up? If I book it now on points and the price in points does go down in the future can I just cancel and rebook at that time?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Red259
I was looking to use points at this property for a trip in April but on a 4 night stay every single night has a different point requirement. Is it a situation where I should book it ahead of time on points because the price in points will only go up? If I book it now on points and the price in points does go down in the future can I just cancel and rebook at that time?
There some pretty good sale rates available from the 21st if your dates are set. You can cancel point bookings and rebook once they are back in your account if you do not have enough for a second booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.