Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Suggest stay at KL Sentral and get a taxi/ uber drop off from subang to Asia Jaya or Taman Jaya LRT station and vice a versa. You will avoid the worst stretches of traffic in both directions. DT is way too far from Subang.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I would also recommend Sentral - you can also hop on the commuter train between Sentral to at least the station in Subang - can't remember the station name exactly (depends where you are headed to in Subang) - the reason is depending on the time, you can get stuck in traffic (which can be horrible during rush hour).

Cheers!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:36 pm

Thanks all for the advice.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:29 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

If budget is a concern and you do not mind a train ride of thirty minutes or so, the Petaling Jaya hotel property is usually significantly less expensive than the Sentral hotel property.

Despite its dated decor, I would personally recommend it, as I received excellent service when I stayed there several years ago.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:35 pm
Suspended

New Malaysian Doubletrees to open next year

The Doubletree Melaka has a scheduled opening of September of 2016.

The Doubletree Penang has a scheduled opening of May of 2016.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:51 pm
jxd

Can't wait for the melaka property! I'm guessing it'll be a cat 1 property given the prices of melaka hotels.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:44 am
Suspended

so did the DT in JB but it recently jumped from a Cat 1 to a Cat 2.

the Melacca prop is supposedly a new build while the Penang prop is a refurb of an old hotel up in Bata Ferringhi.

Originally Posted by jxd
Can't wait for the melaka property! I'm guessing it'll be a cat 1 property given the prices of melaka hotels.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:12 am
jxd

Originally Posted by leeky
so did the DT in JB but it recently jumped from a Cat 1 to a Cat 2.

the Melacca prop is supposedly a new build while the Penang prop is a refurb of an old hotel up in Bata Ferringhi.
Comparing similar hotels in the respective cities
Johor:
Traders $120/night
Renaissance $130/night
Thistle $110/night

Melaka:
Equatorial $70/night
Ramada $70/night
Novotel (opening Sept) $70/night

JB and KL hotel prices are higher due to the fact the KL is the capital (duh!) And JB's proximity to Singapore.

Melaka hotel prices are GENERALLY lower than JB and KL. Hence I would put the DT melaka at cat 1. There is a bunch of 4 to 5 stars hotel in malacca opening that is priced within the $60-80 bracket, and I'm sure the DT will be priced at the range as well.

And the DT will be opening at the hatten city, alongside a hyatt (unconfirmed) and elements mall.

Construction progress as of july
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I would like to get some feedback from the KL experts on an upcoming trip.

I am contemplating staying that Hilton PJ on an upcoming 3 night trip. I have stayed at the DT KL before and found it nice but on this trip I don't really need or want to be in the downtown area. I am just looking for a relaxing place for a 3 night trip and the rates are about 230MYR for my stay period. At least looking at the PJ site they have what appears to be a nice bar area, pool and a spa so it looks like I should be pretty well set for 3 days along with maybe one day trip to downtown for some shopping.

What do the KL experts think, decent plan?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I would like to get some feedback from the KL experts on an upcoming trip.

I am contemplating staying that Hilton PJ on an upcoming 3 night trip. I have stayed at the DT KL before and found it nice but on this trip I don't really need or want to be in the downtown area. I am just looking for a relaxing place for a 3 night trip and the rates are about 230MYR for my stay period. At least looking at the PJ site they have what appears to be a nice bar area, pool and a spa so it looks like I should be pretty well set for 3 days along with maybe one day trip to downtown for some shopping.

What do the KL experts think, decent plan?
I've stayed at all the KL area properties. PJ is fine but I think the last of my choices depending on the prices. I've found it a bit noisier (more families), the pool area is okay but certainly nothing special.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I've stayed at all the KL area properties. PJ is fine but I think the last of my choices depending on the prices. I've found it a bit noisier (more families), the pool area is okay but certainly nothing special.
Would you consider the pool at the PJ better than the DT?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:31 am

PJ

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/resour...ion_Center.jpg

DT

I thought the DT was a bit more upscale. PJ with view of the hotel and street and a bit less service - I think you have to use the phone to order food and beverage.

The DT is cat 2 so rooms are 10,000 points or 4000 + RM 111 some nights.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:27 pm

Ah decisions decisions! I think I might be trying to just be too cheap. With the USD strength against the MYR even purchasing my nights at the Hilton Sentral is a good value at this point....

I like the DT as the location is good, the pool is nice enough and breakfast is good and the lounge is decent as well but this trip I hope to spend more time at the hotel relaxing etc and the DT can get boring IMO.

I may well just consider the Hilton KL as the price is definitely good at 319MYR and seems to be a better property and being right at the Sentral station is very handing especially since I am arriving at 00:05 and if I can hustle and make the last train would be all the better!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:57 am

just wrapping up 6 nights in KL with 4 nights KL Hilton, 1 night each at DT and PJ Hilton. Here is my 2 cents:

Check-in

All three essentially the same. Only the PJ can you go directly to the EL without elevator key access.

Room

KL Hilton - suite upgrade 2/4 to the very nice corner suite. It's quiet and well appointed. 3/4 times had a fruit plate. Suites have more bathroom amenities. A/C doesn't keep up with the temps and 20C is as low as you can get it.

DT - suite upgrade to a more modern room. Not as nice as the KL suite but better than the standard KL room. No amenity other than 2 bottles of water. Noisy room. Good A/C

PJ Hilton - regular room but upper level floor. It's becoming fairly dated like an average U.S. Hilton. Bed was hard. Quiet room. Good A/C.

Rating: KL 8/10 (6/10 if only regular room), DT 6/10, PJ 5/10

Executive lounge

KL Hilton - Good drink selection, food decent, was crowded and one night I was asked to share my small table which I politely declined (really? a small table and you want me to share it with a couple?). Staff are very helpful although during happy hour they have a tendency to leave plated on your table or not offer more drinks if you've been there a while.

DT - poor drink selection, food was the best here, noisy with loud groups and speaker cell phone use (that should be prohibited), crowded.

PJ - same drink selection as DT, so so food, quiet and only about 25 % occupied.

Rating: KL 8/10, PJ 6/10, DT 3/10

Breakfast

KL Hilton - 4 stations (Malay, Indian, Chinese, other) of good quality food that was always fairly crowded.

DT - Same stations as KL but more spread out and I think a better selection and quality. Also crowded.

PJ - Same stations, smaller, less selection poorer quality. Crowded and unnecessarily noisy which the manager tried to get a group to quiet down but they continued to push their way around and speak/yell loudly.

Rating: DT 9/10, KL 8/10, PJ 5/10

Pool

Kl Hilton - shared pool with Le Meridian that is pretty nice. Call button for service. Good food. Water is swimable.

DT - Small cold pool. Food was bad.

PJ - Decent size, lots of loungers, poor attendant service, food was good. Construction noise.

Rating: KL 8/10, PJ 6/10, DT 5/10

Check-out

KL - always allowed late check out, prompt. Although one night they slide a paper under the door stating anyone checking out after noon would be charged 150myr! A phone call resolved that.

DT - refused late check out as they were "full". The website showed a variety of rooms available. A call back to the manager allowed for a 1300 check out.

PJ - They asked at check-in if I wanted a late check out.

Rating: PJ 9/10, KL 8/10, DT 1/10

Service

KL - This property is the kind you want to love but the inconsistencies are frustrating. Sometimes a suite upgrade, sometimes an amenity, sometimes diamond recognition. They seem to be a bit less generous than the past (letter charging late check-out, no turn down service unless you specifically ask, have to ask for some bathroom amenities like toothbrushes). They are always friendly and the EL staff are very good at remembering your past stays and your name.

DT - Average, nothing really standing out. Could have been a DT anywhere.

PJ - very friendly and helpful. EL staff good and provided prompt service and encouragement of their food and drink.

Rating: PJ 9/10, KL 8.5/10, DT 5/10

Misc

KL - next to Sentral and easy access to transportation

DT - short walk to LRT, supermarket in basement and places to eat

PJ - 15 minute walk from LRT, not much close

Rating : KL 8/10, DT 8/10, PJ 5/10

Price (including tax and service using Asia sale:

KL (4 night ave) - 406myr

DT - 405myr

PJ - 250myr

OVerall - I'd pick KL as the best but wouldn't pass on the PJ if that is an area you want to be in. Just can't see going back to the DT but the food was the best here. If you are hotel hoping, it's about 30 minutes via the LRT and walking to the DT and about 45 to PJ.

I'm not sure if the KL Hilton is just getting cheap or planning on leaving the chain (I was told the person who owns the Le Meridian building also owns the Hilton building). I always thought the paper napkins at breakfast was a cheap touch over cloth but it has gotten even worse. They are now using 2 of the drink size paper napkins for breakfast and in the EL they set the tables with one drink napkin and if you need more (such as for the finger food), you have to ask the bar staff. WTH - if you are going to be cheap, at least allow people to clean their fingers! Kudos to the PJ Hilton that still uses cloth napkins during meals and plenty of paper ones during happy hour.

Last edited by tkelvin69; Oct 11, 2015 at 6:20 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Making my first KUL visit in a few months and will be staying at both the HL and DT. Nice find this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.