Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Malaysia {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which is how this tax is supposed to be handled. It is applied by default and then if exempt it is removed. Hilton has even told them that. If it was applied correctly per Hilton, then system would automatically do the accounting so hotel pays. However MY Hilton franchise has chosen to leave tax off and end run the billing system by applying after the fact. Poses a problem not just for awards, (who Hilton pays same regardless of additional taxes/fees) but also revenue bookings. It means that locations that require all taxes/fees be included are having their rules violated.
Difference is Belgum/Antwerp tax became a "per room' tax after initially a 'per person' tax, AND paid by everyone, no exceptions. As such a known fixed cost and could be included in all BAR/Flex rate calculations.

The Belgium/Antwerp scenario does not equally apply to DT KUL since
a)tax is per person (unknown until rom occupancy confirmed at checkin)
b)local residents are excempt

The Malaysian hotel owner/GM also now sees the pittance payment from HH for award nights being $2-4 less per night if hotel pays on behalf of guest. Over a whole year that total sum will be appreciable, so hotel is pointing a country legislation text "will be paid by guest" .
I also can't see hotel wanting the admin of refunding loads of us$2 to every single foreigner booked nights. Makes extra checkout work , especially where guest spends no further monies over and above room-rate, where on checkout of such guest, guestsimpy drops room keyscards off and leaves.

Other incountry tax (eg VAT) won't be similarly worded as 'paid by guest' since mostly no guests in that meaning on most purchases encurring in -country VAT taxes etc.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The tax in MY is per room per night. Not per person per room per night.

Also talked with manager today. He informed me that while Hilton has informed them that full award stays include tax, that they've not yet received the requested documentation that an award does include all taxes. Basically Hilton MY franchise has decided that being verbally told by multiple Hilton corporate employees is not enough. They want it in writing and till they get that they're refusing to comply.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
100% correctly done by prop

Also talked with manager today. He informed me that while Hilton has informed them that full award stays include tax, that they've not yet received the requested documentation that an award does include all taxes. Basically Hilton MY franchise has decided that being verbally told by multiple Hilton corporate employees is not enough. They want it in writing and till they get that they're refusing to comply.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Srisarin
100% correctly done by prop
Can argue over that, but i can at least see their side on this.

However if your boss tells you to do something you should do it unless you have grounds to do otherwise.

At least is more reasonable attitude now on their part. This wasn't their attitude just yesterday. Yesterday was no we won't abide even though they tell us to.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:53 am
Suspended

Frankly, regardless of the outcome herein, if I were the GM at the hotel in question I would have long ago taken the $2 out of my own wallet to stop hearing the constant whining over such a diminimus issue.

However if your boss tells you to do something you should do it unless you have grounds to do otherwise.

At least is more reasonable attitude now on their part. This wasn't their attitude just yesterday. Yesterday was no we won't abide even though they tell us to.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:55 am
Suspended

Frankly, regardless of the outcome herein, if I were the GM at the hotel in question I would have long ago taken the $2 out of my own wallet to stop hearing the constant whining over such a deminimus issue.

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Frankly, regardless of the outcome herein, if I were the GM at the hotel in question I would have long ago taken the $2 out of my own wallet to stop hearing the constant whining over such a deminimus issue.
Actually will be $120 total by end of October. $2.37 adds up over multiple nights.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Frankly, regardless of the outcome herein, if I were the GM at the hotel in question I would have long ago taken the $2 out of my own wallet to stop hearing the constant whining over such a diminimus issue.
I doubt if the Malaysian Government would have imposed the tax if it did not raise a reasonable income.

"Nazri believes that with proper promotion and 80% occupancy rate, RM872.82 million can be collected which could provide a sustainable fund every year to develop the tourism industry and make it more competitive."
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:13 pm
Suspended

I’m a yearly tourist going to Malaysia (KL, Penang, Melacca and previously JB but now won’t fight the double immigration and just stay in SIN) and will be returning again next year once, and if, the DTs in Penang and Melacca actually open, so will be exposed to the new whopping $2/night charge myself (but then I only stay for a week so my extra charge is only $15 vrs the 50 nights you claim to be charged) but won’t be making a mountain out of this pimple (just like when I recently redeemed a “free” flight with 120,000 miles but had to pay the taxes, making the AU/NZ flight not so free), but then again I actually have more to do with my life.

Actually will be $120 total by end of October. $2.37 adds up over multiple nights.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’m a yearly tourist going to Malaysia (KL, Penang, Melacca and previously JB but now won’t fight the double immigration and just stay in SIN) and will be returning again next year once, and if, the DTs in Penang and Melacca actually open, so will be exposed to the new whopping $2/night charge myself (but then I only stay for a week so my extra charge is only $15 vrs the 50 nights you claim to be charged) but won’t be making a mountain out of this pimple (just like when I recently redeemed a “free” flight with 120,000 miles but had to pay the taxes, making the AU/NZ flight not so free), but then again I actually have more to do with my life.
Sounds more like have too much money and thus what you pay doesn't matter.

Considering I'm not the only one that'll be effected, you're ok with the hotel charging thousands of dollars to customers that they should be paying. Miniscule in terms of hotel revenue, but they seem to have no issue arguing it - your arguement cuts both ways.

If this was a one night one time 10MYR charge i would shrug it off myself. However 10MYR a night per room adds up quickly. Last year alone i stayed here or sister properities in KUL total over 8 months worth of nights.

BTW local budget hotels are paying it for cash customers. Why? On a 50MYR A night stay, 10MYR is 20%
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:58 pm

FYI: Hilton isn't the hotel's "boss" here. They are a business partner. The relationship between the two companies is defined by the franchise agreement.

It's not unreasonable to want requests/directives from business partners that will result in a loss in revenue to be made in writing. Once received, that request/directive will be reviewed by the hotel's lawyers.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Oct 12, 2017 at 5:04 am Reason: Fixed grammar.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

8 months huh, doesnt sound like a tourist !
and during all those nights you were charged ZERO for the new tourist tax

Sounĺds more like have too much money and thus what you pay doesn't matter.

Considering I'm not the only one that'll be effected, you're ok with the hotel charging thousands of dollars to customers that they should be paying. Miniscule in terms of hotel revenue, but they seem to have no issue arguing it - your arguement cuts both ways.

If this was a one night one time 10MYR charge i would shrug it off myself. However 10MYR a night per room adds up quickly. Last year alone i stayed here or sister properities in KUL total over 8 months worth of nights.

BTW local budget hotels are paying it for cash customers. Why? On a 50MYR A night stay, 10MYR is 20%
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
FYI: Hilton is the hotel's "boss" here. They are a business partner. The relationship between the two companies is defined by the franchise agreement.

It's not unreasonable to want requests/directives from business partners that will result in a loss in revenue to be made in writing. Once received, that request/directive will be reviewed by the hotel's lawyers.
I'm guessing you meant isn't. However with a franchise agreement the franchisor is the boss in certain areas. Others the franchisee is the ultimate boss.

As I said I can at least see their want as reasonable, while disagreeing. If they wanted to ignore Hilton Corp orders IMO they should be the one writting and saying why they feel the order is wrong. Shouldn't simply ignore what you've been told.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:10 pm
Suspended

however in neither case can any contractual relationship violate and supersede national law

I'm guessing you meant isn't. However with a franchise agreement the franchisor is the boss in certain areas. Others the franchisee is the ultimate boss.

As I said I can at least see their want as reasonable, while disagreeing. If they wanted to ignore Hilton Corp orders IMO they should be the one writting and saying why they feel the order is wrong. Shouldn't simply ignore what you've been told.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

however in neither case can any contractual relationship violate and supersede national law
This is getting old. NO ONE is asking for them to violate MY law. How many times does that need be repeated? The hotel must pay the MY government the tax, regardless of money comes from hotel or from customers wallet.

All that is at issue is whose wallet the money comes from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.