Wiki Posts
Search

Five different hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2000, 7:19 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Five different hotels

In the last two weeks I have completed five stays in different Hiltons Hotels. As a Gold HH, it has been interesting to compare the different hotel response to the “Do you have an upgrade rooms available”.

Phoenix Airport (Corp rate). Changed to Executive level room with lounge access when requested with no bother. Not pre assigned.

Flagstaff Garden Inn (Corp rate). ‘Nothing to upgrade you to’

Paris (Las Vegas) Hilton (Corp rate). ‘I think we only upgrade Diamond, let me check…… OK, I can give you a suite, will that be OK ?’ Was it OK ?? Probably the nicest room I’ve stayed in. Huge, with whirlpool bath. Even the housekeeping staff who were outside the next door room commented that it was a lovely room. No view, unless you like the back of other hotels.

Las Vegas Hilton (Bounce back rate). Huge line for check in. Asked a person on the desk if there was a HH VIP check in area. Rudely told to ‘get in line with everyone else’. Had to bite my lip to not say something back. Lucky I didn’t as she checked me in. To the request for an upgrade, told ‘nothing available’ without her even looking up or checking anything. Given a scruffy room next door to the elevators. Noisy all night

Phoenix Mesa (Bounce back rate). On check in given a personalized letter from the manager welcoming me to the hotel as a HH VIP guest. Very pleasant check in staff member then informed me that I had already been pre assigned one of their best rooms with lounge access. And it was. Huge, with 5 rooms (inc dining room) and whirlpool bath. Balcony looked out over Phoenix. Next door to the lounge, which offered free alcoholic drinks and cocktails. Would recommend this hotel and the very pleasant staff. (Adam, if you’re reading this – This hotel should be praised for its staff members)

Overall, this was a far better success rate than I had been expecting. In the past couple of years, my requests for upgrades have been less than successful. From this snap shot of 5 hotels, it does appear (to me) to be improving. It is clear however, some hotels go out of their way for HH VIP members, and others couldn’t care less. I don’t expect to get a suite, as its clearly says in the guide book that these are not included – I therefore appreciate it when I do, as to me the hotel has done something extra.

[This message has been edited by Tim_T (edited 03-14-2000).]
Old Mar 14, 2000, 4:24 pm

Your experience is about consistent with my own. The thing that drives me crazy is having to ask for the upgrade - their system should be flagging Gold members, and blocking rooms for them early in the morning - with an upgrade if possible. On check-in they should be volunteering the upgrade, or apologizing that one is not available. Instead the whole check-in process turns into a negotiation to see if you can receive what Hilton promises you automatically get.
Old Mar 14, 2000, 9:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in MUNICH, BAVARIA
AMEN, beantown. And it is precisely this issue that has me looking so hard at starwood right now. According to every trip report I've read and everything in the *wood forum, *wood is doing exactly as you suggest on fairly consistent basis!

Is that and the "wonder"bed enough to get me to switch? Time will tell.
Old Mar 15, 2000, 1:42 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
These inconsistencies with HH and the front desk 'negotiations' are what has turned me to Interconti, Delta Hotels (Canada) and Hyatt.

Dorian
Old Mar 15, 2000, 7:27 am

Dorian, I agree. I particularly like Hyatt's 1-800-CHECKIN service - it means that I can call at 9am and get my upgrade and room assignment. I find that after pulling up my reservation and the fact that I'm Diamond, they usually volunteer that the hotel has already blocked an upgraded room for me on the Regency Club level. In the rare occassions where the hotel hasn't already blocked an upgraded room, the 1-800-CHECKIN people review the room inventory and get me the upgrade. I've never had to ASK for the upgrade using this service - always volunteered. On a recent stay in Baltimore they apologized saying they only had an upgraded room with 2DB beds, as opposed to a King - so they explored my options for me - and I stuck with the original upgrade. But the whole front desk negotiation nonsense never occurs - its all been addressed hours before I ever arrive at the hotel ... now if they just expand it to all Hyatts instead of just domestic locations.
Old Mar 15, 2000, 11:00 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
You know...it is strange that Hilton's actually make me feel uncomfortable when checking in...I always anticipate a confrontation. Hotels should do the opposite while you are in a strange place...part of their job should be to make you feel at ease and comfortable in your new surroundings.

Three times (for one night stays) I haven't used my HHGold card just for this reason. I don't need the miles and I don't want to argue with anyone.

Interconti on the otherhand...EVERY time they have me upgraded...even @ resorts!!!

Dorian
Old Mar 16, 2000, 10:16 pm

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
Tim_T: I agree with you on Mesa Hilton 100% Every time I stayed there, it was a pleasant experience - nice rooms, great (e.g. quick) check-in, upgrade w/o asking. Every time I am in Phoenix area, I go out of my way to stay there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.