FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Frankfurt Airport, Germany {DEU} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1225438-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-frankfurt-airport-germany-deu.html)

BotB Oct 22, 2016 9:13 am

Just a few additional pics to those (very nice ones and review) from aks120:

Bathtub: (to the right of the bathroom pic that aks120 took):

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8664/3...b9c00f53_c.jpg
bathtub
by BA_pics, on Flickr

The work desk and TV area of the room:

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8653/3...c301d84a_c.jpg
desk and TV
by BA_pics, on Flickr

floor plan of the exec floor:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5773/3...fa6e99f7_c.jpg
Hilton Frankfurt airport floor plan
by BA_pics, on Flickr

A close up of the sink design (I quite like it):

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5699/3...2f3c4b20_c.jpg
interesting sink basin
by BA_pics, on Flickr

A close up of the bedside reading lights (very Germanic I felt!):

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5769/3...07d7b440_c.jpg
modern German bed lights
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Very old school coffee/tea area in room: (no Nespresso!)

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5734/3...8733c42c_c.jpg
outdated kettle coffee tea area
by BA_pics, on Flickr

View from entrance as one enters such exec rooms;

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8645/3...4967fab6_c.jpg
view to room from entrance
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Hope these help give more info about the room, seems we just missed each other aks120! (and we were doing the same LAN787 run but different days!)

Safe travels, I can't say much about my stay as I had prepaid and then decided to fly on to the Paris FT DO...so, just checked in, had a quick look and then checked back out again...lounge was on the same floor so that would have been convenient had I stayed.

aks120 Oct 23, 2016 7:05 am

Originally Posted by BotB (Post 27379280)
_pics[/url], on Flickr

Hope these help give more info about the room, seems we just missed each other aks120! (and we were doing the same LAN787 run but different days!)

Safe travels, I can't say much about my stay as I had prepaid and then decided to fly on to the Paris FT DO...so, just checked in, had a quick look and then checked back out again...lounge was on the same floor so that would have been convenient had I stayed.

Yes - shame we could not meet up - I plan to do the trip again so that I actually fly on the LAN787 :D

Regards

aks120

sannmann Oct 23, 2016 7:43 am

Parking

What do folks recommend for parking at the Hilton Frankfurt Airport? Driving up there from STR and spending the night before meeting my sister off of a TATL flight the following morning.

linas Nov 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Late check out on day rate?

Hello,
Do any folks have personal experience requesting for a late checkout on day rate? Standart check out is 6PM and I was wondering if a 8pm for Diamond is realist expectation

747FC Nov 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by linas (Post 27506296)
Hello,
Do any folks have personal experience requesting for a late checkout on day rate? Standart check out is 6PM and I was wondering if a 8pm for Diamond is realist expectation

I'd call the Diamond Desk and ask them to contact hotel on your behalf.

IMH Dec 22, 2016 9:19 am

We returned to the FRA Hilton Garden Inn last week and were impressed. ^

A friendly receptionist welcomed me back, told me that it was my fourth stay and asked if I would like something else from the "Pantry" instead of the bottled water Diamond amenity. So we headed to our room (on the top floor) with two bottles of beer.

kirkwoodj Dec 22, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 27649480)
asked if I would like something else from the "Pantry" instead of the bottled water Diamond amenity. So we headed to our room (on the top floor) with two bottles of beer.

Score!!! ^^

Kacee Mar 13, 2017 1:46 am

Overnighted at FRA Hilton last night. Upgraded (on award stay) to King Deluxe Suite. It's a nice room, with cool leather furniture, Bose, and Nespresso machine. Shower was awesome. Quality of breakfast in the lounge was pretty good. Included eggs, bacon, and sausages, plus pastries, cold cuts, and fruit. Needed to change some dollars, and hotel's rate was much better than what was being offered in the terminal.

I was hoping for a tarmac view, but for those not familiar with the property, it's separated from the tarmac by the Sheraton and the terminal, which means no aircraft views. OTOH, it's a shorter walk from the arrivals and departures areas than I had gathered from some of the posts here. Less than 10 minutes.

Overall a good stay, but not perfect. Orange juice dispenser in lounge was broken. Internet went out this morning right when I needed it (and is also close to nonfunctional here in the SEN lounge). Long line to checkout (which I just skipped).

You want to go where? Mar 13, 2017 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28029152)
Long line to checkout (which I just skipped).

I think this is a particular problem with onsite airport hotels of any brand. You have a lot of people who aren't loyalty club members who have chosen the hotel based on convenience or because of a misconnect, so they have to go through the traditional checkout routine.

spearsba Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

Just had two stays at the FRA Hilton. As a Diamond was placed on the executive floor. I noticed that they no longer place two bottles of water and the small bin of chocolates as a welcome. Not a big deal, but noticeable.

infinite97 Aug 3, 2018 8:36 pm

Frankfurt Airport hotels

I searched for other threads but could only find one started in 2006, last posted in 2017. Didn't think it would be relevant for me.

I will be flying out of FRA soon on American Airlines and want to stay at the airport the night before my flight. I think I have stayed at both the Hilton and the HGI in the past, but this time, I will be arriving on the ICE train from Austria - does it make much difference which hotel I stay at?

Thanks!

The _Banking_Scot Aug 4, 2018 2:58 am

Hi,

Both hotels are right next to each other in The squaire and above the ICE platforms connected to T1 ( the Hilton and HGI share the same gym).

I think AA leaves from T2 so you will need to get to T2 ( I used the landside shuttle train from T1 but it was a hike from the hotel with luggage). I think there is a bus transfer too.

Both are good hotels ( The Hilton has a good lounge) and I found the HGI room a little smaller than other HGIs but it was fine for 1 night)

Regards

TBS

infinite97 Aug 4, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks for the info. I think being diamond I will have free lounge / breakfast at either hotel, yes?

Yes, I do remember it being a bit of a walk...10 minutes? to get to the T2 AA check in area. I'm going to try this trip with only a carry on bag, so maybe it won't be so bad :)

AlienInTheFatherland Aug 4, 2018 9:01 am

Yes, being Diamond will get you a room upgrade, lounge access and free breakfast (lounge or restaurant) at the Hilton. They will give you a little card showing all your benefits and timings of lounge and so on when you check in.
Best/shortest way to get from Hilton to T2 is across the walkway towards T1 then left down the escalators (one flight) to the bus that will transfer you to check-in level at T2.

bitterproffit Aug 4, 2018 9:23 am

I was given access to the EL at the Hilton even though I wasn't given a room on the EL floor (I was checking in early and was thrilled to get a room by 10AM). I am a HH Gold.

I really liked the Hilton. It was really quiet, the rooms were modern, the EL was really nice, and the location was pretty convenient to spend a couple of days in touring the surrounding area by train. The front desk staff was great. The location right above the train station means there was a grocery store and some quick service eateries inside the same building. I didn't mind the walk to the main airport terminals. I didn't mind the walk to the S Bahn trains either.

The windows would open, but the building is in another building, so there was no outside air. I was there in the summer and it was pretty comfortable climate control.

I would definitely stay there again if the price was right. It was really high this summer, so I stayed at the Hilton Garden Frankfurt City.

fransknorge Aug 4, 2018 10:20 am

I stay very frequently in both hotels. They are adjacent and both the same distance from the ICE track (one minute). The HGI does not give you access to the lounge, the Hilton will. They share the same gym, breakfast free for both. They are similar enough except the Hilton room are nice, but as I usually spend one night before an early flight it does not matter that much to me. My personal rule is to take the HGI unless the Hilton rate is less than 15 EUR difference.

To to go to T2 you need to take the bus or the landslide shuttle train. If you have little luggage I recommend the train, much more reliable than the bus. It is easy from the hotels: go towards T1, follow sign for the B area, go down two escalators, turn left, follow B area signs, go up one escalator, follow signs to T2 shuttle.

infinite97 Aug 5, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it!

Lizie Aug 5, 2018 9:38 am

Would people say the Hilton was better than the Sheraton? I wasn't that impressed with the Hilton last time and thought the room a bit meh and the exec lounge offering (non alcohol) stingy.

RDU-Man Sep 9, 2018 12:52 pm

quick stay report - stayed at the HGI on 9/6 - very nice room - I was impressed with the soundproofing of windows and doors - didn't notice planes, road traffic or other guests at all. Decent breakfast buffet. Bus to Terminal 2 was easy.

Brandinho1 Sep 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Good evening. Just posting the latest Executive Lounge spreads as of 9/10/18. Hope this helps anyone staying here.

fransknorge Oct 3, 2018 1:50 am

I did not see this reported yet: a Hampton by Hilton is under construction in the Gateway Gardens, near the Holiday Inn.This should provide an extra alternative to the HGI for hopefully a competitive rate. I really hope they will do a better job with the airport shuttle than the Holiday Inn and Park Inn, which are very unreliable.

NewbieRunner Oct 3, 2018 4:03 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 30273268)
I did not see this reported yet: a Hampton by Hilton is under construction in the Gateway Gardens, near the Holiday Inn.This should provide an extra alternative to the HGI for hopefully a competitive rate. I really hope they will do a better job with the airport shuttle than the Holiday Inn and Park Inn, which are very unreliable.

According to this article the new Hampton will be at Thea-Rauscher-Strasse 4 which makes it one of the closest hotels in the Gateway Gardens to FRA T2. It looks like easily walkable from T2.

fransknorge Nov 13, 2018 3:13 am

I had to book a few stays at FRA for Q1 2019 and the Hampton by Hilton was proposed, it seems it will open early 2019. Rate was typically around 85 EUR, so 10 EUR less than the HGI.

christianj Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am

Just noticed the Hampton FRA as well when searching for a stay at the end of January 2019. Hilton rate is Euro 230, HGI Euro 170 and Hampton Euro 99..... so a big difference! I wonder what will happen if I book and then the opening is pushed back as I need to stay just a couple of days after the proposed Jan. 27 opening date.

NewbieRunner Nov 19, 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 30445309)
Just noticed the Hampton FRA as well when searching for a stay at the end of January 2019. Hilton rate is Euro 230, HGI Euro 170 and Hampton Euro 99..... so a big difference! I wonder what will happen if I book and then the opening is pushed back as I need to stay just a couple of days after the proposed Jan. 27 opening date.

Check an earlier discussion in this thread when the Hilton and HGI at FRA did not open as advertised. Expected opening dates announced were (not necessarily in that order):

March 2011
September 2011
October 2011
December 2011
March 2012
May 2012
June 2012

and they eventually opened in late-December 2011.

I had a non-refundable pre-paid reservation at the HGI for December 2011 which I managed to book during the January 2011 sale when they were accepting reservations for my dates. I was transferred to the Hilton in the city which suited me better. ;) I don’t think I was asked to pay extra.

christianj Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am

@NewbieRunner...Thanks! I know the Squire was delayed way beyond it's anticipated opening due to construction issues. I guess I will chance the booking and would hope that if the opening of the Hampton is delayed that they would accommodate people with bookings at either the Hilton or HGI FRA.

crashvt2003 Dec 6, 2018 11:35 am

My Mom is flying into Frankfurt from Vienna on Lufthansa on Saturday and will be staying overnight at the HGI. How long is the walk from baggage claim (I'm assuming in Terminal 1) to the HGI? She has a heart condition and can't walk really long distances. Would it be possible for her to get a taxi from outside baggage claim to take her to the hotel? I know it would seem silly and costly, but she doesn't want to risk any health issues.

N104UA Dec 6, 2018 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by crashvt2003 (Post 30505797)
My Mom is flying into Frankfurt from Vienna on Lufthansa on Saturday and will be staying overnight at the HGI. How long is the walk from baggage claim (I'm assuming in Terminal 1) to the HGI? She has a heart condition and can't walk really long distances. Would it be possible for her to get a taxi from outside baggage claim to take her to the hotel? I know it would seem silly and costly, but she doesn't want to risk any health issues.

A taxi would take way too long, from the departure hall B you go up a level then it is moving side walks almost the entire way. If she has a wheelchair, they might be able to bring her the entire way.

NewbieRunner Dec 6, 2018 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by crashvt2003 (Post 30505797)

You mother may have to walk longer from her arrival gate to the taxi stand than from baggage claim to the HGI. If you are seriously concerned about the distance she will have to walk I suggest you arrange assistance from FRAcare Services via the airline. They should at least be able to take her to the taxi stand. Unfortunately it may be too late to arrange assistance since it will have to be booked 48 hours in advance.

crashvt2003 Dec 6, 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA (Post 30506717)
A taxi would take way too long, from the departure hall B you go up a level then it is moving side walks almost the entire way. If she has a wheelchair, they might be able to bring her the entire way.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30506858)
You mother may have to walk longer from her arrival gate to the taxi stand than from baggage claim to the HGI. If you are seriously concerned about the distance she will have to walk I suggest you arrange assistance from FRAcare Services via the airline. They should at least be able to take her to the taxi stand. Unfortunately it may be too late to arrange assistance since it will have to be booked 48 hours in advance.

Thank you both for your reply. I've passed along the message and I think she will just take it really slow and rest along the way if needed.

fransknorge Apr 15, 2019 3:01 am

I stayed several times in the FRA Hilton over the last 4 years and for the first time I had a bad stay there. The main issue was that at 7:15am they had run of warm water in the entire hotel. Maintenance was alerted but the situation was the same after my workout at 10am. Probably not the hotel fault entirely but nevertheless it ruined the stay.

N104UA May 23, 2019 2:13 pm

FRA Hilton Diamond Upgrades

I am a relatively new Diamond, I had stayed at Hilton Frankfurt Airport many times as a Gold and was always upgraded to an Executive Room. How generous is this hotel at upgrading Diamonds to suites and which suites do they normally upgrade to? I know they have a few, and while I would love an upgrade to the Presidential Suite, I won't hold my breath.

rufflesinc Jan 17, 2020 5:41 pm

I stayed at the hilton on new years eve, was upgraded to executive floor. The room I was in did not have a working deadbolt. I called maintenance and they said it was just how the hotel was designed (!), that room on every floor does not have a deadbolt . My suspicion is that room was originally not meant to be a guestroom and they later decided to make it a guestroom and whatever reason weren't able to put a deadbolt.

It is the room very close to the lounge, and across the hall from ice machine.

IMH Jan 18, 2020 1:19 am

Originally Posted by N104UA (Post 31131978)
How generous is this hotel at upgrading Diamonds to suites and which suites do they normally upgrade to?

There are a couple of reports in this thread of suite upgrades. I also had at least one upgrade to a suite ("king deluxe" IIRC) when I was Diamond, not previously reported here.

My impression is that the property policy is to upgrade when they can, but of course much depends on the individual staff members who deal with your booking and/or check in. Dreaming of presidential suites is probably unwise.

TheWiseOne Feb 11, 2020 11:03 am

I am torn between the Hilton and the Hampton. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each? There is about a €50 price difference atm. My main areas of interest are:

Location to the airport
What the lounge is like in the Hilton
Fitness facilities

As ever, TIA for any help!

fransknorge Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am

Location to the airport : HILTON win by far for T1 (attached to the terminal) and it is a tie for T2 (walkable from Hampton, bus shuttle from T1 for Hilton). Also there are restaurants and a supermarket in the immediate vicinity of Hilton, there is nothing at the Hampton.
Lounge in Hilton is nice but nothing to write home about. The evening service is not enough for a meal but nice for an aperitif.
Fitness : Hilton big winner: plenty of strengthening machine, cardio machine with apron and runway views, stretcher, more free weights. The Hampton has a more standard fitness room (few dumbbells, cardio, a multipurpose strengthening machine).

TheWiseOne Feb 12, 2020 5:59 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 32059623)
Location to the airport : HILTON win by far for T1 (attached to the terminal) and it is a tie for T2 (walkable from Hampton, bus shuttle from T1 for Hilton). Also there are restaurants and a supermarket in the immediate vicinity of Hilton, there is nothing at the Hampton.
Lounge in Hilton is nice but nothing to write home about. The evening service is not enough for a meal but nice for an aperitif.
Fitness : Hilton big winner: plenty of strengthening machine, cardio machine with apron and runway views, stretcher, more free weights. The Hampton has a more standard fitness room (few dumbbells, cardio, a multipurpose strengthening machine).

Thanks for the review.

N104UA Feb 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne (Post 32059597)
I am torn between the Hilton and the Hampton. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of each? There is about a €50 price difference atm. My main areas of interest are:

Location to the airport
What the lounge is like in the Hilton
Fitness facilities

As ever, TIA for any help!

50€ is about my threshold for differences between HGI and Hampton (for reference my threshold from HGI to Hilton is about 20€). The convenience of the HGI/Hilton is hard to beat, add in the Paulaner Restaurant in the same building, if more rooms had runway views it would be the perfect airport hotel (IMO). However at more than 50€ it is worth a cab ride from the Hampton.

I will also mention the Hilton Mainz City/Hilton Mainz are good choices too (especially if the FRA Hilton is super expensive). Mainz City is close to the train station and and ICE is 13€ each way and 15min (often quicker than the Hampton shuttle), both are well located for restaurants and exploring Mainz which is a nice city.

IMH Feb 13, 2020 12:58 am

Originally Posted by N104UA (Post 32065151)
Mainz City is close to the train station and and ICE is 13€ each way and 15min

Only slightly OT: The ICE is an option if you're already at the airport's mainline station (Fernbahnhof). But for someone arriving by plane just going downstairs to the local network station and getting a train to Mainz for 5 EUR will usually be faster (the journey takes approx. 26 minutes).

Back on topic: The fact that the Hilton and HGI, along with the two Marriott options, don't involve taxis, trains or shuttles means that I can predict with a high degree of accuracy how long I will need to reach the terminal. I don't have to allow extra time to buy tickets or worry about my train being delayed. This always makes a 'proper' airport hotel my first choice, unless the prices are silly.

fransknorge Jun 23, 2020 12:48 pm

The Hilton FRA is taking advantage of the COVID rules to charge for more: breakfast is in the room via room service, cold items only. Hot items are for extra charge for Gold/Diamond. This hotel was always offering the full buffet to elites, and actually the executive lounge had eggs and warm items for breakfast. I clearly express my displeasure at the desk and they will give me eggs tomorrow as a “courtesy “.