Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Hilton Hotel Oakland Airport
1 Hegenberger Rd.
Oakland CA 94261
Tel. +1.510.635.5000 / Fax +1.510.383.4062

There are five buildings at this property; building 1 includes the lobby. Each building has three floors, and a mix of two double beds or a king bed on each floor.

The numeration of rooms runs to four digits, as follows:
1st digit, building number.
2nd digit, floor number.
3rd and 4th digits are the specific room number.

Post 117 includes a plan of the property and its buildings.

I.e. room 1319, in the building including the lobby (the restaurant is across the van access and parking, and there is a covered walkway) on the third (highest) floor, actually the designated Honors floor (vending, but you must go to the second floor for ice,) and is not particularly distinguishable from any other floor – though you want to be on the third floor in this hotel, regardless of which wing / building you are staying in.

When offered advance online checkin, you may not be shown building 1 at all, even if you're Honors Elite.

Self-parking is up to $14.75 per night for checked guests (9/17).

Airport shuttles to OAK at 20 minute intervals, 4am to 2am on demand, seven minutes to airport. See the list of services in post #116.

Remarks: This is a large hotel in the old style, several wings three stories high, airport-close (regular shuttle service,) one mile from McAfee Coliseum and full of conferences and meetings. Amenities include a pool, surprisingly complete fitness room, sports bar, Amelia’s (Earhart) restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast: Continental, US$, buffet $ ,) and Stanley’s Grill for dinner (beautiful sandblasted glass panels depicting African animals as dividers between booths, decent food and sometimes glacial service.) Parking is advertised as $14.75.

Note: This hotel did not honor my booking even though I OLCI and selected a room, called and let them know I was arriving late. They then attempted to book me into the remaining room (suite), which in fact was occupied. 18 Sep 2017.

The older construction means this place can be noisy, and the floors can boom and shake when someone isn’t considerate of fellow lodgers. At least with the third floor, you have no one above you – but you may still hear people walking by, or hear the alarm or television in adjacent rooms; cabinet doors may rattle when you walk by the drawer / tv cabinet, and you can feel floor irregularities as you walk thorugh the carpeting. The glazing is older single pane, so you may also hear turboprop aircraft from the general aviation side of the field departing, and some traffic noise is possible in some rooms. The airport hotel means activity can be any time of day or night.

UNDER REVISION: The room is very spacious, with a king bed with very nice bedding (and a thin but very adequate duvet,) a table with ice bucket, glasses and coffee service, a chest of three drawers with television in the upper portion of the cabinet, small closet with extra covers, iron and board, bathrobes; there are two armchairs and small drum table, a luggage jack and small padded bench that can easily be used as a luggage jack, two night tables, usual Hilton clock-radio, enough pillows for the a family, two telephones, several lights (the room is adequately lit,) a spacious desk with a ridiculous adjustable armchair that requires me to use my laptop in the desk drawer, as the chair does not adjust high enough to allow comfortable use of the desk. The blackout curtains do a very adequate job of blocking extraneous light from the room, which is good given aircrews use this hotel. Air is central, but you can make the room cooler in winter or warmer in summer – not possible in some hotels with central HVAC.

The bathroom is small, square and floored with a marble tile also used for the sink area, a smallish tub with straight (not bowed) curtain rod and good shower head with anemic water pressure. A hair dryer and the usual La Source amenities are provided, but only hand (no bath sized) soaps were provided; a shoe rag and shoehorn are included, a nice extra from a hotel that doesn’t believe in many extras for Diamonds. Toweling is the nice and absorbent HH collection by Martex.

The room appears refurbished, the wall is covered with a light beige-gold paper with a subtle floral effect, carpet is multi-pattern with greens and beiges, all woods are in a medium brown, and everything is clean and bright. Service can be variable, and you can expect most staff will not greet unless you greet first, especially if engrossed in chit chat with each other. This feels like a place that does quite well due to location, so nobody puts much time into hospitality training.

UNDERVREVISION FOR STAY: My amenities as Diamond included the upgrade to the “Executive King” room, the robes in the closet, two one pint / 237 ml bottles of water, and a chit for the Continental breakfast (fruits, cereals, yoghurts, juices, pastries but no croissants, or even toast - which must be requested, coffee or tea – a bit miserly.) One can “upgrade” to buffet American (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage) for an additional US$X.00.

Caveat: I would never stay here during high school graduation periods – I have seen this hotel chock-a-block with students attending their proms, and their parents secure numbers of rooms for them.

Alternate properties: Hilton Garden Inn San Leandro (south, under five miles from OAK, shuttle bus to OAK, BART) Homewood Suites Oakland-Waterfront (north, near Jack London Square, under 6 miles,) Hampton Inn Hayward (eight miles, south,) and the new Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge in Emeryville, just under ten miles away.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Oakland Airport {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by CMK10
If you need to be near OAK this hotel is fine, though it's probably not really worth the Hilton flag anymore.
Excellent review and I totally agree with your observations and conclusions. I just spent a couple nights there and will not return in the future.
I'll add that instead of taking the 73 to the BART, I jumped on the airport shuttle, which drops you off close to the BART connector at the Oakland Airport. From there the connector takes you to the Coliseum BART station, along the same path the 73 bus takes. The staff were all friendly and helpful, for what it was it was fine. Get a room on the third floor so you don't hear anyone walking over your room. Building 5 was cleaner smelling than Building 3, which has a lingering slightly musty odor.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:26 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I'm curious if anyone has any post-covid experiences here? Admittedly I'm usually a Marriott person and have stayed at the Courtyard down the road, but the price is good at the Hilton Oakland Airport and with the new promo I'm thinking about doing a couple nights stay here when I have business in the area. (I'm aware of what the area near the airport is like, I mostly want to know what the condition of the property and service levels are like these days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.