Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Examples of point upgrade and point+cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Examples of point upgrade and point+cash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Not sure if it is the good thread, but realized now I can upgrade my room with points at Conrad Maldives for my stay next year... when I first saw the list of room types with the respective points I couldnt beleive my eyes... one room upgrade per night is 500,000+ points!!! I thought it may be for the whole week but no, per night!! What's the point of this scheme?? A regular reward stay is 37,500 per night, there is no any relation between the two numbers.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
As I keep posting, it's because the standard room reward rate is priced off hotel category, and the premium room reward rate is a function of the cash cost of the room translated into points at some random exchange rate.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by stifle
As I keep posting, it's because the standard room reward rate is priced off hotel category, and the premium room reward rate is a function of the cash cost of the room translated into points at some random exchange rate.
Sorry, havent read through the whole thread but what's the point of this system? Is it like giving you coach class on an airline for 20,000 miles and now we introduce upgrade possibility for miles, big news, business class from 1,000,000 miles one-way!! Brilliant... it is useless.

I expected like a proportional amount of points to upgrade the room, if let's say one standard room is 37.500 for Diamonds (as it would be more in normal circumstances) then let's say to the next room type it would be like 7500 per night or so... OK, if it were a suite, it can be like 70,000 per night and you have a choice to spend so much or not. But 500,000 for each room type or more?? Let me check other hotels, it may be only at Conrad.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It's the same most everywhere else (with a very few hotels offering premium rewards cheaper than the standard rooms, e.g. Hilton Warsaw). Customer feedback was that people wanted the opportunity to redeem for higher categories of room, and Hilton brought that in.

I assume the redemption by category is built into the franchise specifications so hotels are obliged to conform to it. Hilton Corporate probably pays far more to the hotels for the premium room rewards because it has to buy them at somewhere close to the cash rate.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:41 am

Yeah, it is a good enhancement and I was for it as well, couldnt wait to see the options but these are hillarious rates, not sure if anyone will use them at all.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
3,828,807 points per night (!)

OK, this was too funny, had to share. This is in Venice (Italy) for their King Presidential suite.

So, for a week, that would be... ummm... more points that I'll see/earn in my life
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:08 pm

Yeah, see mine above. When would you make a mere 3,500,000 points for an upgrade only to a King water villa from King beach villa for a week??!! It is not even an upgrade from a standard room to a Presidential suite.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Managed to snag a 25,000 plus £60 for the London Park Lane this weekend - already showing upgrade to Exec floor - hope this counts towards stays for the year and airline miles - or am I so wrong ?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mandc2000
Managed to snag a 25,000 plus £60 for the London Park Lane this weekend - already showing upgrade to Exec floor - hope this counts towards stays for the year and airline miles - or am I so wrong ?
read post #21....
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandc2000
Counts for stays and nights, the £60 won't count for points/miles but anything else you spend will.

Now excuse me while I go and book one of those.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by stifle
Counts for stays and nights, the £60 won't count for points/miles but anything else you spend will.
Thanks for the info stifle, good to know it.

Now excuse me while I go and book one of those.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25K points plus £62.40 as against a flexible rate of £286.80 or advance purchase of £200.40. (I'm including VAT; the noxious London hotel practice is to lump it on top.) Value is 0.9p per point, not too shabby.

Drifting off topic but better value is available at busy dates — P&M rewards are not available for new year's eve, although standard rewards are at 50,000 points. Standard rate is £718.80 for this one, 1.43p per point.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Found some £36 plus 15,000 for Hilton London Dockland - always been treated very well there - great room overlooking Thames and Canary Wharf and free breakfast (even for 4 of us !!! on one occasion) No lounge though but you'll get chocs and bottle of wine in room usually ...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:27 pm

Found London Trafalgar this weekend for £60 plus 25,000
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:42 pm

Seems that these rates and Reward rates no longer qualify as stays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.