Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Financial District {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Financial District {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York - Financial District {US-NY}

Hi all, has anyone had a chance to stay at the recently-opened DT Financial District on Stone Street? I am staying there for a week later this month and will report back on my experience. I'll be interested to see how they treat Golds/Diamonds upgrade-wise. I've stayed at the Millennium Hilton many times and have been generally impressed with the service from the staff. In any case, I love the DT brand and I'm excited to have another Hilton property in walking distance of my company's NYC office!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
mediocre

I am currently staying here and from my past experience of staying at other hiltons, I would rate this doubletree experience as mediocre. By my experience, I include, the room size (small), the lobby space (very small) and the food menu at the bar (not all items in the menu are available ).
Otherwise, it provides me a hilton property near the wall street. So, it helps to get my points into hilton.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BAEC Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG Gold
The only decent DT in Manhattan is on Times Sq.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gates1580
I am currently staying here and from my past experience of staying at other hiltons, I would rate this doubletree experience as mediocre. By my experience, I include, the room size (small), the lobby space (very small) and the food menu at the bar (not all items in the menu are available ).
Otherwise, it provides me a hilton property near the wall street. So, it helps to get my points into hilton.
Thanks for the update; I will be there next week. I am interested in comparing the experience to that of the Millennium Hilton which is the only other HH property within 10 minutes of my Bowling Green-area office. I will sacrifice space and food choices in exchange for HHonors points and a short walk!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:33 pm

I had a 2 night stay early this month, very new but room is very small, hotel location is good , subway station is 2 blocks away, Parking and in-room Internet cost about $50 every night though.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

I just checked in today for my second stay in as many weeks. This is a nice brand new hotel with good furnishings (inc. HDTV channels!), but you should be aware of a few things. First off - it's tiny, the building is wedged into a small space in lower Manhattan. There are 10 rooms per floor, and the hallways, rooms, bathrooms, etc are all very small. My first stay was in a xx05 room on a middle floor; my current stay is in a xx09 room on a high floor. The xx09 room is a little bigger with an entry foyer. The xx05 room was smaller with only a few feet of space between the king bed and the walls. Next, there are only 3 elevators - I had to wait several minutes when I checked out last Friday. You also have to checkin on the second floor, which means you have to take the elevator up from the ground floor entrance when you first arrive (this adds to elevator traffic). Finally location - which is fantastic for me given that my company's NY office is < 2 minute walk from the hotel, but might not be convenient for everyone. It's convenient to Wall Street and Staten Island ferry and there are several subway lines very close. I wouldn't recommend the area for tourists if you want a Times Square / Broadway experience, but if you are looking to save $$$ rates are currently very low (under $200/night mid-week). Some good restaurant options in walking district - the Stone Street corridor (best choices - Mad Dog & Beans (mexican), Adrienne's (pizza), Ulysses (bar & grill)), Fraunces Tavern (just reopened & remodeled featuring a much-improved beer selection), and AJ Kelly's (irish pub w/ decent food - literally right next door). There's also a take-out place called Flavors with good breakfast & sandwich options.

In the hotel there is a restaurant/bar at ground level. Breakfast was fine with DT buffet (pre-made pancakes, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, breads, fruit, yogurt) and coffe/juices. No omelet stations or other cook to order, however there was a ala-carte menu (didn't order). I had a drink in the bar and waiter mentioned that a "full bar" was available, yet not all beer selections in place just yet. Good room service menu (not 24 hour - ends at 11PM), but I did not order from it.

The staff is very pleasant and eager to please, still a bit in the breaking-in phase. On my first stay I arrived after midnight. The clerk was pleasant but didn't offer a cookie or a coupon and did not acknowledge HH status or mention upgrade (I *might* have received one, but the distinction between City View and other rooms is not yet clear). On my second stay I checked-in online and got a high-floor upgrade room (not a suite) and got a cookie at check-in. No acknowledgment of HHonors status or upgrade but that is a very minor point. The in-room phone is not working but a quick stop at the front desk sent an engineer up to check it out. It's still not fixed but he did offer to have me moved to another room (I politely declined and he said it would be fixed tomorrow).

Bottom line - a very nice (if somewhat basic) NEW hotel in lower Manhattan with very good rates and a friendly staff. If you like the DT brand and don't mind the location you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by danimal96; Jan 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm Reason: clarified elevator arrangements
Old Feb 19, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Are there any 2015 or 2016 updates for this property?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Are there any 2015 or 2016 updates for this property?
The post above yours has perfectly matched my experience in several stays here. The hotel is as nondescript as they come. Not sure what you are looking for other than breakfast but I have had a room with a view on the top floor which essentially means I have had the best possible experience at this DT and it was still lackluster, but excellent value for the $100 or so a night I pay to stay there on weekends.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:54 pm

Just wanted to post a quick review/trip report from a stay in May 2016. Overall the experiences already in the thread are in line with mine. The hotel is right by NYSE so it's a great location depending on where you're going. But the rooms are SMALL. Like really small. It felt like a youth hostel or something. There wasn't enough room to have a desk in the room so there was a ledge desk thing but it was so small it was hard to get my laptop and power charger on there. Other than being small, the room was fine I guess. The walls are pretty thin, but that's not uncommon in NYC hotels. The breakfast buffet was standard. Nothing special. Room service was OK (certainly better than Hilton Times Square, whose room service is a source of anger and frustration for me). The comments about not having enough elevators is correct.

The hotel isn't terrible and if you're going to Wall St the location is great, but it's too claustrophobic for me and I don't expect to be back. The Millenium Hilton was maybe $30-$40 more per night and I like that hotel much better (my fave Hilton in NYC, I should post a review on that property at some point).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Another disappointing stay here as a Diamond this month.

Arrived at 10pm, no upgrade, was given a noisy room on the 5th floor. Rooms are tiny. The couple checking in after me, without status, were given a room on the 22nd floor, despite my preference being set to high floors. No cookies available at check in. 14 minute wait for the elevator on the Saturday morning!

2nd disappointing stay at this place, will be avoiding it from now on.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Is this (housing homeless) ongoing at this location? Any recent stays?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:45 am

Bored staff, dirty rooms, sticky carpets, slow elevators, and very sad looking breakfast offerings. I did receive a couple bottles of water and cookies, but as an elite who doesn't? What I did like however is that I only paid $49 for the one night stay which is way much better than a one-star no-name hotel.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 5:00 am

Any recent stays?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Any recent stays?
Same Q here. Today I had a few questions answered by phone in advance of my planned stay. Pleasant and polite. I would note however that, last night (Sunday) from 9:00PM until 11:30PM, no one ever answered the phone.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life
I had a five night stay last month. The hotel is dated, I think soundproofing was invented after it was last updated and don't get a room above the 7th floor or you may decompose before an elevator arrives.

Also check the F&B charges. I am now waiting 3 weeks for them to tell me what a particular charge on my account was for.

Other than that it was fine.
365RoadWarrior likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.