Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, M&M Senator (thanks FB), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
In the case of this hotel, it seems to be new policy.
It is my third stay and had upgrade, Internet, breakfast and drink vouchers on previous stays.
But this time, got the same answer:
No Internet because of the upgrade from 3 different persons.
Manage at the end to get it but was told they were doing me a great favor.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You should let Hilton (Diamond) know so they can officially inform the management of the correct policy.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, M&M Senator (thanks FB), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks,
Just send a mail to [email protected]
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, PC Spire/Ambassador, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi,

I'm a Diamond and stayed last Thursday night.

The Exec. lounge is now open, but the evening offering is only from 5-7pm.
Soft drinks, Fosters lager and cheap white/red wine. Also, some canapes that look like they're from Tesco Express next door.

The room was OK, nothing special. I wasn't offered free internet, but didn't need it anyway. Lounge brekkie was acceptable, but poor compared to any Hilton lounge in the UK (no hot food except toast).

I will stay here again if the rates stay low, due to location to the city (work), Euston station (train home) and the West End (evening entertainment). However, I would much prefer the Waldorf, Hilton Tower Bridge or Hilton Canary Wharf if available at similar rates.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by handy72
Hi,

I'm a Diamond and stayed last Thursday night.

The Exec. lounge is now open, but the evening offering is only from 5-7pm.
Soft drinks, Fosters lager and cheap white/red wine. Also, some canapes that look like they're from Tesco Express next door.

The room was OK, nothing special. I wasn't offered free internet, but didn't need it anyway. Lounge brekkie was acceptable, but poor compared to any Hilton lounge in the UK (no hot food except toast).

I will stay here again if the rates stay low, due to location to the city (work), Euston station (train home) and the West End (evening entertainment). However, I would much prefer the Waldorf, Hilton Tower Bridge or Hilton Canary Wharf if available at similar rates.
Interesting. Where is the EL? I stayed here two weeks ago and there was no EL. We were in a corner on 3d floor where there were a few other "Executive" rooms. We were given free wifi (there was a code that changed daily and we just called the desk to obtain the code) and free buffet breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. Breakfast was not mentioned at check-in, but in the morning we went down to the restaurant and asked if breakfast was free. We were originally told no. I said I was gold and thought breakfast was free. The host said, "okay" and we were told we could enjoy complimentary breakfast.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:45 am

Was there for 4 days last week, was offered room upgrade but was told, that I will have to pay for the internet, since it was either upgrade or internet.
I had to argue a lot to get internet access, and contacted Hilton Honors by mail on the subject.

Notified, them at check out, then the person at reception showed me the printout they had for hilton honors perk.

And guess what: it was the old one, from before free internet was given, I told them that this was quite old, they told me that they will check, since they are new in the hilton world and will need time to adapt (or I expect hilton honors to contact them based on the email reply I recieved).

For the time being I advise to bring a printout of the current T&C with you.

I also pointed out the poor lounge offering in term of opening time, food and drink offer in comparison to the Hilton Kensington for example.

on my 3 previous stays in jan and feb, did get upgrade, breakfast, wifi, and a few drink vouchers to use at the bar. This was far better.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
This seems rampant at Hiltons in London. Had the same issue at the DT Regent St. I had the highest level paid room and they insisted that I got an upgrade and wasn't entitled to free internet. I asked them to show me what room I would have gotten without the upgrade, as I'd be happy to switch and of course they called a manager and I kept the same room, got free internet and brekky for my entire stay....
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:57 am

I think, this in only a glitch and they only need time to adapt since they are new to Hilton, you can have look at my post in the "Doubletree London West End" thread.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
I'm here now for a one-night stay to check it out. No problem with upgrade to Executive Room, and the description of the lounge above is right-on as far as the evening went - some good oranges, hard nectarines, some apples, soft drinks, Foster beer in bottles, and red/white wines, but I did check out a cabinet with small boxes of cereals for breakfast, even though I was told to go to the restaurant downstairs when I checked in - and was given the code to use the wifi without issue.

Perhaps their getting the word.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Here now for a one-nighter to check it out. No problem with the free wifi yet, but then I haven't checked out yet, so we'll see. Lounge offering last evening was uninspiring. Wish they'd offered me some drink chits.

Otherwise, was given an Executive Room that was down an additional hallway. The elevator I took to the room did not show signage on how to get to it, but managed to find it. There are 2 elevator banks, one that faces right into the lobby, and another of 2 elevators around the corner from the one you'll see right away.

I'm in an interior-facing room, so very quiet. Tall ceilings, comfy bed, strange-looking armchair (color and design), but comfy. There's only wifi in the room, and haven't checked it out to see if it's the lobby as well.

The room's electrics only run if you put a room key in the slot by the door. As opposed to others I've used in other hotels, at this one, when you remove the key, everything immediately turns off, as opposed to giving you a minute or two before the lights, if any, go out. You can be plunged into total darkness if you haven't opened the door first.

One thing, and I don't know if it's true for all rooms here, is that the door does not fully close on its own. Fair warning.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:57 am

While I haven't checked out yet, to know for sure that they're not intending to charge me for internet use, there are a few other things about the hotel/room I wanted to mention.

The room, 251, does not have enough electrical plugs. At the desk, there are only 2, and they're taken up by the phone and the desk light. I unplugged the desk light to plug in the computer. I also had to lift the desk away from the wall, and the mini-bar fridge is located on that side of the desk, in order to plug in the Macbook Pro's block. That meant that there were no easily reachable plugs left for me to use to charge my US cell phone or my UK pay as you go mobile. The plugs in the bathroom didn't reach far enough for the cords I had.

The buffet breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was okay, but no hot oatmeal that I could find, and, for the 1st time ever, I was never asked if I wanted more OJ or more coffee. Not that big a deal, but surprising as it's never happened before.

Otherwise, Neutrogena soaps and shampoo in the bathroom, the shower pressure was fine and the water was not soft as I've had it at other London hotels, which I wsa grateful for.

There're a lot of restaurants in the area and the location is fine. I would stay here again, especially if the price was right.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by From NYC
The room, 251, does not have enough electrical plugs. At the desk, there are only 2, and they're taken up by the phone and the desk light. I unplugged the desk light to plug in the computer. I also had to lift the desk away from the wall, and the mini-bar fridge is located on that side of the desk, in order to plug in the Macbook Pro's block. That meant that there were no easily reachable plugs left for me to use to charge my US cell phone or my UK pay as you go mobile. The plugs in the bathroom didn't reach far enough for the cords I had.
. . .
The buffet breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was okay, but no hot oatmeal that I could find, and, for the 1st time ever, I was never asked if I wanted more OJ or more coffee. Not that big a deal, but surprising as it's never happened before.
I second the comment about the lack of outlets in the room. Other than the 2 at the desk, we couldn't find any that were easily accessible. I had to move the nightstand and use plugs near the alarm clock.

As for the breakfast, when we were there the restaurant was packed (there was a wait for a table) yet they had a small little buffet of hot food setup with one small tray of each food (e.g., one tray of eggs, one of potatoes etc.). To top it off, the hot food buffet was in a corner of the larger buffet and both paths led to a crevice/corner, the result was a huge traffic jam of people trying to get to/from the buffet. IMO, it was extremely poor planning.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Geez, this is horrible. HH needs to clamp down on this before it gets out of hand, like NOR-1 gets its dirty hands all over this one.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Doubletree West End isn't even a NOR1 hotel :/

Hopefully they will have sorted this out by the time I get there in a few weeks.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:43 pm

stayed in 249, same issue, had to move the desk, to plug in the mac book pro :-)
stayed as well in 107, the desk is near the bed, plugging the alarm clock at the other side of the desk, I was able to surf from the bed with the ipod or the mac plugged in very easily. I had a very quiet not so nice room on a previous stay as well but cannot remember the number.

I was a bit concerned, since on the first floor overlooking the main street without double glazing, but the street is dead quiet during the night.

will be there again in 2 weeks time, so will check how it goes.

never had any waiting issues in the restaurant (and already did 12 nights at the place) except a unfriendly and rude indian(?) lady.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.