Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Decline Housekeeping Service & Receive 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points Per Day!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decline Housekeeping Service & Receive 500 Hilton Honors Bonus Points Per Day!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: UA
Would work well for me. On a short 2 day stay I really don't care about the room being cleaned. I reuse towels at hotels and I don't fill much in the trash can.
On most of my business trips I do eat out for dinner and the trash can usually just has empty water bottles, those can wait for a day.
I would like to get extra coffee pads though without having to pay for them.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Goofy Foot
500 points is not even close to get me to pick up after myself and make the bed. My mother could not get me to do it. How is 500 points going to do it?
Is it that difficult to put the used towels aside for a day, if not re-use them, and straighten the bed, if not actually "make" it? Aside from taking out the trash (unless you fill more than half the wastebaskets in a day, do you need that every day?), what else is there that you would need to "do" in terms of housekeeping yourself?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Hmm. Remember when the airlines used to give us bonus miles for booking tickets on their websites, or using automated check-in? And look where that went..

Any guesses on how long before Hilton starts charging a $25 convenience fee to receive housekeeping service, instead of giving bonus points for declining the service?
I can see there is a reason behind all this, they want to cut cost by hiring less maids is the end results.

It is exactly like what you are talking about. Airlines used to have many of its own staff handling call center and checkin. They claim that would be a faster process if you book online, if you do self serve checkin, and also by giving you bonuse miles to attract one to do that. Now no more bonus miles, huge amount of staff got laid off replace by outsourcing companies that use a minimal of staff.

Rather than go green or whatever reason they said, that is just an excuse to cut cost.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its nice to have a choice but now I will have to tune the radio myself if I want to listen to any local latin music.

Also where do the people stay who state a HH point is easily worth a penny. My typical stay sez it usually worth less than half of that.

MisterNice
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
And you save the tip for housekeeping too!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
. . . I feel like I must be the only person who doesn't care about daily housekeeping. If I'm at home I use my towel for about a week. I don't vacuum but once a week unless there's a mess. And I don't make that much garbage. So for me, why is it any different when I'm in a hotel?
Well, for me, the difference is in the fact that my apartment costs around $34 a night. A night at a hotel (usually) costs way more than that.

I should receive something tangible and noticeable for that cost difference, no?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Let's see, someone would have to decline housekeeping a whopping 100 times to earn enough points for what is now a Cat 6, soon to be a Cat 7, hotel. No thanks, I'll vote for clean rooms and maintaining jobs for housekeepers.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
[Is it that difficult to put the used towels aside for a day, if not re-use them, and straighten the bed, if not actually "make" it?]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom?
Is that you? What are you doing on Flyertalk? ...sorry I haven't called

Last edited by Goofy Foot; Nov 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
Oh, and where's my allowance you owe from years back?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:03 am

I never, ever have my room made up during a stay. But I see another potential benefit. It would seem to help ensure that my room ISN'T made up against my wishes. Too often - though not so much with Hilton - my DND is ignored, and the confidential information I have is exposed, so I end up calling the "police" from my company to report the possible breach. Unfortunately, there isn't always a safe large enough to hold everything, nor can I carry it all, all of the time.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i can't believe there have been 40 comments (41 now) on housekeeping & 500 points to not have it during your stay....
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: Southwest A-list, CP. Hyatt Diamond. LuggageWorks Stealth 22"
It's a slippery slope...

This is the same slippery slope most of the U.S. airlines got on with their amenities...amenities first become optional, then become extra charge. Now it costs just to talk to a CSR on the phone.

Seems like the hotels are doing the same. I can see this could quickly turn from a 500pt "bonus" to a $$ extra charge if you want your room cleaned.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I never, ever have my room made up during a stay. But I see another potential benefit. It would seem to help ensure that my room ISN'T made up against my wishes. Too often - though not so much with Hilton - my DND is ignored, and the confidential information I have is exposed, so I end up calling the "police" from my company to report the possible breach. Unfortunately, there isn't always a safe large enough to hold everything, nor can I carry it all, all of the time.
I tend to have the opposite problem - housekeepers who try to get me to waive cleaning: "If you don't let me do it
right now while you're on your way to breakfast, it means I'll have to bring my whole cart all the way back here
(from another floor) later ..." and "But, you had a DND sign out this morning!" (Yes, which was removed by 10:30
for the rest of the day).
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:54 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Something I learned from my HGVC membership: I actually prefer not to have housekeeping enter my room everyday. HGVC member stays with points never include daily housekeeping services; stays of a week do include one midweek "tidy up" service (which includes emptying the trash and making the beds). I quickly found that I didn't miss housekeeping at all.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Its nice to have a choice but now I will have to tune the radio myself if I want to listen to any local latin music.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.