Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cape Rey Carlsbad, A Hilton Resort (was Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort) {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Rey Carlsbad, A Hilton Resort (was Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort) {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Any recent stays here? What is the situation for Gold booking a points and money stay? Is the "Resort Fee" waived (doesn't show up in the confirmation e-mail)? What about breakfast?

Looks like a really nice property.
Anyone care to comment? I also have the same questions.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am looking at this hotel for a stay the first weekend in November and am curious as well about any recent stays.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA Silver, SPG PLAT, Marriott PLAT, Hyatt PLAT, HH Diamond
Just booked this for a stay next week. I assume this property falls under the qualification for the current AMEX offer (spend $250+ at any Hilton or Curio property and receive 3,500 Membership Rewards).

A couple of questions:

- With regards to AMEX Offer, will this property qualify as it's listed as a Hilton Resort?
- With regards to AMEX Offer, I assume charging meals/drinks to the room would qualify as part of the $250 spend (and resort fee, parking and taxes wont)? I ask, because I booked a room rate of $150.
- Any Diamond members stay recently? Any benefits or upgrades?

If I can book this stay with the AMEX Offer, it would be a nice opportunity to rack up some points (MR bonus, Honors Diamond bonus, Honors 2k per stay bonus, Honors 500 per App bonus) all on top of my standard points for credit card and Hilton stay.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:27 pm

says close to attractions. How is the location and benefit for diamond? room upgrade and breakfast was ?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
We stayed as a family (2 adults 2 kids) last November and were upgraded to an ocean view. I was really impressed with the hotel after staying at the Dana Point Hilton. The Cape Rey looks like it’s been recently upgraded, and it’s location just across the road from the beach was perfect for us. They also had cruiser bikes to borrow which we used to ride to dinner, shops, etc.... We liked it so much we are returning for March break! Can’t recall the diamond benefit but I’m pretty sure it was a dollar amount credit in the restaurant .
Old Jul 13, 2021, 9:50 am

Completed a 1 night stay for 2 adults. Booked the stay for a message treatment for my gf. I used a FNC and the agent booked an mobility/accessible room because it was the only king-sized bed available. I called the property directly afterwards to change and was upgraded to king-size room with the pool view. Front desk staff were all friendly and knowledgeable in The F&B benefits, they provided a bottle of their house wine since it was my gf's birthday. F&B benefits from the pool drinks posted automatically when received the receipt. Still waiting for the Chandler's (in-house restaurant) bill to show up. Booked a massage session for my gf at the Ocean Crest Spa. She says it was amazing and would go back. The spa was billed to my room and still shows up as HILTON CARLSBAD OCEANFRONT RESORT & SPA. Hoping the the restaurant and spa both get credited with the $250 resort credit.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:32 pm

Any recent stays to report? Thinking about burning a free night here and an expiring $250 Aspire credit....
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
July 4th weekend

I stay here for 1 night Friday book 2 room using points 80k each total of 160k. Cash booking at that time was $400 standard room,
. The hotel is ok for my standards, we just left las Vegas resort world Conrad the day before. But the service here was great, staff was friendly and smiling.
When check in HH gold. Got room upgrade to king Ocean front view with balcony. Room rate was $740 and check the point it would of cost 250,00 points. Little hight buy again July 4th weekend.
. Overall the room was average good size.view we great. The pool ok alot of kids definitely a famotype hotel.they even supplied the sun block there for you which Is good. Sunbum
They have shuttle service that take you to the beach included. Once your at the beach you have your own chair and umbrella, and pretty much a butler service. When we got there they ask where we want our chair and umbrella handled our towels and water. Remember to tip them. When we were ready to go back they will page the bus come pick us up. Really enjoyed thaylt type of service make you feel better at the beach don't need drag or being so much to the beach. Probably the highlight of the hotel for us.
Restaurant the was good however the service was pretty bad compared to the rest of hotel services.the restaurant staff felt like they did t want to be there or maybe just our server.got $15 for 2 totel of $30 x 2room so we had $60 total in credit. Little price for food there. Also parking was $29 self parking per night.

​​​​​​Overall was good values to use point and great service all around. One tip water bottle in gym is free
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:13 pm

Is this Cape Rey Carlsbad resort remarkably better than the Waldorf Astoria WA at Monarch Beach? I wonder anyone has had experiences at both resorts and could share their thoughts. Thank you!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:30 pm

Any recent stays?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:51 am
Community Director Emerita

I received a note today stating that our AMEX Hilton biz card can have a $60 credit per use at a Hilton property each quarter. I've got 3 days to take advantage of the offer, and one day is Easter. If I buy lunch at the Cape Rey Carlsbad at their Chandlers Oceanfront Dining, would the restaurant code as Hilton or as a separate entity?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I received a note today stating that our AMEX Hilton biz card can have a $60 credit per use at a Hilton property each quarter. I've got 3 days to take advantage of the offer, and one day is Easter. If I buy lunch at the Cape Rey Carlsbad at their Chandlers Oceanfront Dining, would the restaurant code as Hilton or as a separate entity?
No, it will only qualify if you charged it to your room.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I just stayed at Cape Rey for the 2nd time in 2 years and it was, again, underwhelming. The positives are its location and "relative" affordability. Many of the rooms are ocean-facing, and so you get killer views of the sunset. The restaurant is OK - decent options for breakfast and dinner. The staff was friendly and the hotel has a few connecting rooms, which were difficult to find at other properties. The gym had decent equipment, including a Peloton bike.

The negatives:
  • it's a tired property - the rooms are old and the furnishings are showing their age
  • it is incredibly understaffed and they struggled to meet some of the basic demands like processing check ins, validating parking and delivering promised items to the room in advance of check in (e.g. crib and mini fridge for storing baby-related food basics, which are on their approved list)
  • because they are so short-staffed, towels in the gym are not replenished and the staff doesn't respond to in-app messages or even picks up the phone when you call them from outside or WITHIN the property

The negatives made the stay frustrating and the manager was very apologetic, comping me $150 in F&B credits to smooth things over. But I would not stay here if, for a small price difference I could stay at the Park Hyatt Aviara next door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.