FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cape Rey Carlsbad, A Hilton Resort (was Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort) {US-CA}
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:55 pm
gosha83

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
I just stayed at Cape Rey for the 2nd time in 2 years and it was, again, underwhelming. The positives are its location and "relative" affordability. Many of the rooms are ocean-facing, and so you get killer views of the sunset. The restaurant is OK - decent options for breakfast and dinner. The staff was friendly and the hotel has a few connecting rooms, which were difficult to find at other properties. The gym had decent equipment, including a Peloton bike.

The negatives:
  • it's a tired property - the rooms are old and the furnishings are showing their age
  • it is incredibly understaffed and they struggled to meet some of the basic demands like processing check ins, validating parking and delivering promised items to the room in advance of check in (e.g. crib and mini fridge for storing baby-related food basics, which are on their approved list)
  • because they are so short-staffed, towels in the gym are not replenished and the staff doesn't respond to in-app messages or even picks up the phone when you call them from outside or WITHIN the property

The negatives made the stay frustrating and the manager was very apologetic, comping me $150 in F&B credits to smooth things over. But I would not stay here if, for a small price difference I could stay at the Park Hyatt Aviara next door.