Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best way to extend a rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
What's the best way to extend a rental?

I currently have a rental which I have originally picked up on Saturday for two days. However, it looks like I may need it for another day or two. What would be the best way to extend such a rental without actually driving back to the Hertz location? How much am I likely to end up paying if I simply keep it for an extra day?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
I currently have a rental which I have originally picked up on Saturday for two days. However, it looks like I may need it for another day or two. What would be the best way to extend such a rental without actually driving back to the Hertz location? How much am I likely to end up paying if I simply keep it for an extra day?
I do this quite often.

Look on your Rental Agreement on the top right hand portion. It will show an Extra Day price (in addition to other additional costs). That is how much extra you'll be charged per day minus surcharges and taxes. I usually never call in to extend it.

When I do keep the car longer than reserved, the following happens:
1) Hertz may add more pre-authorization amount to your CC (it won't charge the CC but add more hold space)
2) Same occurs for 1), where I call in to extend it and Hertz will then add more hold space to the CC.
3) If you keep it for a very long time (WAY longer than reserved), then Hertz will try to repo the car.
4) I find that corp locations (especially airports) are much more relaxed because IMO they have a large compliment. For non-corp HLEs, they are much more anal and will start calling you if you hold the car much later than reserved.

On average if I were to keep a vehicle longer than reserved, I usually don't keep it for more than an extra week.

Be aware though that depending on location, you may be charged a small late return fee. This has happened to me only a few times in the last few years.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
As far as I know there isn't a way to extend a rental over the phone, your options are to return it and get a new one or just pay the extra day fee. This extra day fee is discounted by the amount you get for your CDP as well.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
As far as I know there isn't a way to extend a rental over the phone, your options are to return it and get a new one or just pay the extra day fee. This extra day fee is discounted by the amount you get for your CDP as well.
Totally incorrect. Hertz has a dedicated rental extensions department reachable at 800-654-4174. There is no need to call them if you return +1 day, after that, I'd advise calling them..
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Axey
Totally incorrect. Hertz has a dedicated rental extensions department reachable at 800-654-4174. There is no need to call them if you return +1 day, after that, I'd advise calling them..
Yes.

When you don't return it after a couple of days, one will see their CC be pre-authorized even more -- a very big chunk to cover additional days and then some. This is important for those who don't have much top up space left on the particular CC.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yevlesh2
I've done this a million times. As I said earlier, you don't need to call them but out of courtesy it may help to do so such that your CC won't be pre-authorized with some insane padded amount.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:03 pm

Trouble extending Hertz Rental

I have an uber rental and is not letting me extend the rental I am not the only person that's having the issue i talked to other uber drivers that have Bank of America and they are having the same problem. I already called my bank they say there's no problem on their end I called the 800 Hertz and they are telling the same they don't know why the payment is not going through. Not sure what's going on please let me know thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.