Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Denver WARNING!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: UA MM
The exit check could be very cursory. After all, it is not in the rental company's interest to declare in advance any damage; if they miss something, they can go after you.

Now I've never found Hertz to be a stickler for "normal wear and tear" dings and stuff - but the question is how carefully I, as a renter, need to check. It's often hard to see detail damage - e.g. in the big new rental structure at LAS, all covered, or a night rental.

Many years ago I was shocked at the effort an Alamo employee made to try to find damage on a rental I returned... and I've been happy to pay more with Hertz ever since just to avoid that scene.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:35 am

Programs: Hertz Gold 5*, Continental, AK Air
I had to do this last Thursday at ORD. But when I was loading the car the form flew out the car and I couldn't find it. They gave me a new one at gate and I filled it out. They didn't even walk around the car.

The form caught me off guard. It reminded me of Budget, National and Alamo in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by Tummy
When was the last time you were at ORD? I got a form in Feb and Early April of this year. They were Thurs-Monday rentals though.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by choefman
just do like I did, switch to National...
Not a helpful recommendation in my experience. I have had to sign more vehicle check forms in my last year with National than in the previous 25 cumulative renting with Avis & Hertz. National tends to have more dented, dirty and high mileage cars for its frequent renters, too.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:44 pm

This post explains the form:

Originally Posted by ExManager
In the past year, Hertz has switched to about 70 percent of it's fleet being "risk" cars. This means they own the cars outright.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9634139
Old May 15, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
After nearly having to go to court against Avis and having a vicious altercation with (I think) Enterprise, I now do this check on my own regardless and tell the desk folks about things as small as pits on the leading edge of the hood.

Just like how they try to jack you for $7 a gallon if you return it less than full, they mark up their damage estimates by about 400% over market repair rate.

I'd rather take an extra 2 minutes to protect myself up front from a verbal altercation when I'm rushing to make a flight.... Ounce of prevention pound of cure, yada yada.
Old May 18, 2008, 4:36 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
The exit check could be very cursory.
My last return in FLL wasn't cursory. When returning my first-ever Prestige rental, they did a full/slow walk-around, including pointing out a scuff on the driver's door (that was there when I rented the car). I never got that kind of inspection when returning a Mazda3.

Steve B.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
worst case is a car beaded with water, either fresh from a wash or due to rain, coupled with a nighttime pickup. Lots of stuff is invisible in that situation but obvious upon returning a dry car in daylight.

Finding a form in a PC rental today at MCO, I spent a few minutes marking every little possible blemish all over the 'pre-inspected for your convenience' form that missed things like a dent in the driver door.

I for one am going to be a details freak on this until I am sure it is not part of a campaign to push up charges for 'damage'.
Old May 22, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
Originally Posted by talnus
I was told by the exit gate guard at LAS today that Hertz will start checking for damage upon exit nationwide starting Thursday 05/15.
Sure didn't happen in LEX this weekend -- no gate there, so I even walked back in to report the cigarette burn hole in the driver's seat since I found that pretty unusual for a Hertz car. They blew it off as "ordinary wear-and-tear on a rental car, no problem."

On the other hand, coming up in August I have the Tour From Hertz Hell: 2 days in DEN, 5 in SEA.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I got burned in ONT this weekend. I did a cursory look at the car when I got it at the Gold area and didn't see anything significant, but certainly not a detailed inspection. They did not have me sign an inspection report when I exited. When I returned it they noted a small abrasion/scratch and want to charge me $75. I really don't think I even would have seen it on my inspection. The agent was sympathetic enough- said Hertz has new owners and they expect them to find every scratch over 1" long and charge for it. I've leased my own cars for years from Acura, GM, and Ford and all have considered things like this normal wear and tear. If I get a bill from Hertz for this, it will end my 35 year relationship with them.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
I was in Denver early this week and they made me sign a slip as I exited that noted any of the dings on the car. This is the same place where latst winter they were very agressive on the slightest ding or scratch on the car.

I get in the car and drive away. Not any more in Denver. Warning don't do that in Denver. It may cost you. That is the only city I have been in where they do this and it sets a real bad tone. I had heard from the staff that the management there is "agressive" on damage to cars. I have never had a problem, but, some have and this is a warning about Denver.
They do this at many Hertz locations across NA, namely in Canada (YVR, YYZ to name a couple).
I anally check my car before leaving the lot and go out of my way to point out any ding, scratch or dent I find in both exterior and interior. No big deal for me.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
With the increasing age of their fleet, there are usually enough scratches and dings in various places that you can fill out the little form and put an S or a D (I forget the exact letters) on most of the car body parts. That way if you add anything, well, it's probably already been noted

They are clearly hurting for revenue right now. I hope they aren't trying to make it up by nicke and diming us for damage already on the car, but would not be overly surprised if they did.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
With the increasing age of their fleet, there are usually enough scratches and dings in various places that you can fill out the little form and put an S or a D (I forget the exact letters) on most of the car body parts. That way if you add anything, well, it's probably already been noted

They are clearly hurting for revenue right now. I hope they aren't trying to make it up by nicke and diming us for damage already on the car, but would not be overly surprised if they did.
I say if I hit something and the bumpers already scratched to heck, it had to be replaced to begin with. If they didn't act on it in the first place, it's their own fault. I know of someone who backed into the sign on the rental lot, in front of the rental agent...but she was a regular customer and the car was already damaged prior on the rear bumper so they let her go.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:54 am

I had this problem in Denver this week.

I rent a car nearly every week from Hertz. Nearly every car has a scuff or ding. They're always marked on the pink sheet or the location doesn't check for damage.

This week in Denver I rented a mini-van. When I got to my hotel, I noted a hail ding in the hood. Upon returning the car, I was harassed by the check-in staff. The attendant just didn't point out the damage, but put on a show about it. I was asked to head to the main office and fill out a form, where I witnessed 3 other people filling out similar forms. I'm in near constant possession of a rental car, and I have NEVER seen anyone fill out a damage form - they had three people working on them! They said their techs will determine if the damage existed prior! How? Magic??

My car wasn't even provided with an inspection sheet, allowing me to note any damage, leading me to believe this location wasn't one that checks too closely.

Either they are making multiple people pay for the same damage to cars or they are not following their own processes. It's really BS that they basically holding people up against a wall - either go along with their poor process or miss your flight. Either way, you're out money.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by jfranci3

... Upon returning the car, I was harassed by the check-in staff. The attendant just didn't point out the damage, but put on a show about it. I was asked to head to the main office and fill out a form, where I witnessed 3 other people filling out similar forms. I'm in near constant possession of a rental car, and I have NEVER seen anyone fill out a damage form - they had three people working on them! They said their techs will determine if the damage existed prior! How? Magic?? ....
I've been asked to fill out this "accident" form before in MSP and DEN. I've simply refused saying they have my information in the rental agreement and can call if someone wishes to discuss. In MSP they said I could not leave without filling out the form...I turned and walked away. I've never had any follow-up or charges on CC in either case (both 9 - 12 months old).
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:51 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by jfranci3

I rent a car nearly every week from Hertz. Nearly every car has a scuff or ding. They're always marked on the pink sheet or the location doesn't check for damage.

I just returned from DEN w/ a Hertz rental. Having seen this thread I checked my vehicle closely at pick up and noted a few dings/scratches.

I was never asked to sign anything at check out (and never declared anything) and was never challenged at return.

My guess is that a location may put on a concerted effort at certain times and/or there are some overly vigilant employees.

What ticks me off is the inconsistency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.