Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Your Questions Here...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:01 pm

One more general question: You sometimes write something along the lines "... if I like the client ...". Now, while this is surely often based on the specific situation in question, more generically, what are the doīs and dontīs for a customer when approaching the rental counter from your CSR perspective ? In other words what are the most common mistakes to avoid when talking the CSR and would have the best chances to succeed e.g. when asking for a specific car model or upgrade etc. from your perspective ?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Thanks for great info!

Some more:

When is a gas tank 'full'? Needle pointing to 'F' or just above 'F', or when it won't hold any more gas

I have rented cars with needle at 'F' and then found I could put at least $3 or $4 in before the pump shuts off. Even if car 'holds gas' I shouldn't have to pay for anything above 'F' as that is what I received.

What is your tolerance for 'minor' damage, such as
tire sidewall and/or rim scuffs
door opening dings
glass chips
plastic bumper cover scratches/dents/bumps
other?

Finally, is there a policy of charging clients for medium dings, etc. and NOT repairing the car? I.e., if I put a ding in the top part of the driver's door panel and someone else dents the bottom part, you could charge for two separate ding repairs and paint jobs, but only pay for two dings and ONE paint job. Not a get rich scheme, but ...
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:25 am

Accident Excess subject to airport concession and other taxes?

Got a question: is the accident excess (deductible) subject to airport concession fee and sales tax? If the airport concession tax is 12% and sales tax is 8%, this could easily turn a $2000 accident deductible into $2400 (+20%), a considerable difference. I've asked a few Hertz agents and gotten different answers. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:36 pm

Thanks so much for answering questions. This is incredibly helpful...and you are doing a good job shifting more of my future business to Hertz.

I think a lot of us are surprised that you don't get commissions on upsells of Gold member rentals...

On leisure rentals I nearly always buy the additional liability at the counter (don't own a car, so no insurance) and ask to buy up to Prestige from a full or premium reservation. Charge has ranged from $20-$60/day for me.

1. Is the at-the-counter upcharge to Prestige different based on the class you are upgrading from (i.e. from compact --> Prestige versus premium --> prestige)?

2. Do you think we have a better shot at negotiating a lower total upcharge with the agent if we **don't** use our Gold profile in the reservation? That is, because in my case, the agent would get commission on both the ALI and the Prestige upcharge.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:26 am

faster returns?

geez10, when i signed up for #1 gold, one of the perks mentioned is "instant return." while i enjoy being able to walk straight to my car to pick it up, i would *really* love to be able to drop it off just as quickly. but sometimes the return lines are enormous!

so is there any way for golds (or better) to bypass the cattle-call return line?
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:29 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
There is the express drop mailbox at most Hertz locations. Drop your keys, record mileage and gas, and go. The instructions are on the rental jacket - the box is usually in the middle of the return aisle.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 4:20 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Great service at Bendigo (downtown) Australia which included a one-way rental to MEL the other day. Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:18 pm

Oooo I'm gonna try and get a few of these . I'm a CSR in a small airport in the midwest so I think I can help with some of these.

Q: “One more general question: You sometimes write something along the lines "... if I like the client ...". Now, while this is surely often based on the specific situation in question, more generically, what are the doīs and dontīs for a customer when approaching the rental counter from your CSR perspective ? In other words what are the most common mistakes to avoid when talking the CSR and would have the best chances to succeed e.g. when asking for a specific car model or upgrade etc. from your perspective ?”

A: I dont know where you travel to most but you will have a better chance for a free upgrade the smaller the airport. My airport only has a few cars at a time and when we get pricer cars in they tend to sit around and I personally would rather have a cheaper car sit around than an expensive one. Always be nice (as I'm sure most of you are) and never demand anything. If you start to make demands I kinda tend to clam up. And talk to me. I sit behind that counter for 80% of my shift with no one to talk to but the TSA people and the AA staff, if we get a good conversation going I normally will bump people up.

Q: When is a gas tank 'full'? Needle pointing to 'F' or just above 'F', or when it won't hold any more gas
I have rented cars with needle at 'F' and then found I could put at least $3 or $4 in before the pump shuts off. Even if car 'holds gas' I shouldn't have to pay for anything above 'F' as that is what I received.

A: If that happens be sure to tell the attendant that checks your car in. If you don't tell us we don't know. I cant tell you how many times I have gotten calls from people after they get charged for fuel that say it was low when it was sent out. If it's short we can fill it up.

Q: What is your tolerance for 'minor' damage, such as tire sidewall and/or rim scuffs door opening dings glass chips plastic bumper cover scratches/dents/bumps, other?

A: Inside the folder you get it says minor wear and tear is expected. Most of the time more than minor goes without notice. The smaller cities with less staff sometimes let more go by. But to be in the safe side report everything. If we think you were trying to slide one by us we'll charge you.

Q: Got a question: is the accident excess (deductible) subject to airport concession fee and sales tax? If the airport concession tax is 12% and sales tax is 8%, this could easily turn a $2000 accident deductible into $2400 (+20%), a considerable difference. I've asked a few Hertz agents and gotten different answers. Any thoughts?

A: Honestly I don't know. Accident items (Beyond the initial form (s)) are handled by another department.

Q: 1. Is the at-the-counter up charge to Prestige different based on the class you are upgrading from (i.e. from compact --> Prestige versus premium --> prestige)?

A: Yes. The Base up sell is dictated by our computer with a little bit of wiggle-room But to upgrade from a Chevy Aveo to a CTS woud cost more per day than to go from a Fusion to a CTS.

Q: 2. Do you think we have a better shot at negotiating a lower total up charge with the agent if we **don't** use our Gold profile in the reservation? That is, because in my case, the agent would get commission on both the ALI and the Prestige up charge.

A: I don't know the rules on this one. But at my counter (Because of the importance of Gold members) I would charge less, and sometimes not at all, a Gold upgrade. Sometimes it all just depends on the agent you talk to,,
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:23 pm

I saw this one late and noticed it had gone un-answered....

Q:Thanks. I have one.

Is unlimited miles really that? Or is it like broadband access, it's unlimited until you go over some sort of invisible limit and then the provider wants to yank access?

A: Unlimited miles are just as they sound unlimited.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by GDON
Unlimited miles are just as they sound unlimited.
What is the most mileage in the shortest time you have ever seen? A friend of mine once drove from Montreal to New Orleans and back in 7 days with a bunch of friends.... I am sure the rental location was less than impressed when they returned the previously brand new car with 3500 miles on the clock.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I did something like 4,500 miles in a week once, don't remember if it was hertz or not.

They wasn't happy at the counter.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by cordelli
Maybe they wasn't happy with your grammar!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:47 pm

I had a car come back that had 700 miles put on it in a day...
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
I did something like 4,500 miles in a week once, don't remember if it was hertz or not.

My friend put 9,000 miles on during his honeymoon several years ago (but with an Alamo car). He started out at Phoenix and drove all over the west over a three week period, as far north as Washington state. He said the check engine light was on for half the trip.

I'd feel guilty and get an oil change or something or at least call the company and ask if they want me to swap cars somewhere. I don't like abusing something just because I can.

On the flip side though, I recently rented a SUV at Hertz MSO that has a limit of 150 miles per day. At 8 days into my 10 day rental I had only clocked 80 miles total running around town, so I took a road trip one day and put on 800 miles out and around Idaho. Something about having a limit makes me not want to waste those miles. Ironically if it was unlimited miles I probably wouldn't have taken the side trip.

It was fun, beautiful country out there!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks -- your insights and advice are great!

Here is a question (well, 2 actually)..and I know it varies by station, but:

Which cars are most likely to have NeverLost? I typically book online and it will usually only let me reserve a Taurus. every other type of car i select, including Volvos, get bounced back with a message that car class does not have NeverLost. Its very frustrating, especially when I know I've been able to get NeverLost in wide variety of cars.

Am I better off just reserving the Taurus, since I typically get upgraded as a 5* anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.