Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost with Neverlost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:34 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by twenex
My last fun "NeverLost" experience was in Dallas. I was in Addison close to the Dallas N. Tollway and wanted to go to the airport, so I plugged in "return to Hertz" and it charted out the way.

It told me to go S to 635, and I thought "not a bad choice" but knowing it doesn't take traffic into account, went N to the GB Parkway. It wanted me to turn around the whole way. Going down the parkway, it now wants me to get off on 35S, ignoring that the GB Parkway is a straight shot to the S end of DFW airport. Now I thought, OK... it's just f*d. And sure enough, after I pass 35, suddenly the road underneath me just disappears on Neverlost - as though I was driving over open farmland.

That's when it struck me... this segment of the GB parkway just opened up within the last year or so. The Neverlost system was not updated and in this case, quite lost.
I have had several problems at DFW. I have also had problems like the orginal poster stated in WV. IT could not keep me on the road alway was off to the side. When I talked to people at worked they mentioned the road was widened and some spots were moved. Never lost was not updated and kept thinking I was in the grass or something.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:32 am

Hey troyintn,

How recent were your experiences at DFW? I've used Neverlost in MCO and was very happy with it. However, if there are significant recent problems with Neverlost in DFW, then I might skip Hertz this trip.

Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K+MM, HH DIA, Marriott G, Hertz 5*
I wouldn't say "significant problems" at DFW, but understand the Neverlost systems are out of date and take a map just in case.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, SPG Gold, Hertz #1CG
Originally Posted by ale4me
I use Neverlost on all my business trips. I nicknamed it "Dorthy" since we have a love/hate relationship . I have used it about 20 times in the last year. It does great in wide-open spaces. In the city is a another matter altogether. In SFO last week, she was off by 5 blocks most of the time. Always, have paper maps as a back-up. Hertz has the best GPS in my opinon, compared to everyone else though.
On a recent trip to Sacramento, I had my first experience with Neverlost in an Escalade ESV. We drove to SFO for a day. Except for me being in the wrong lane from time to time, it really did a great job. Albeit mostly a drive-by using the "Local Attractions" feature. Luckily it didn't freak out on me during rush hour traffic.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:32 pm

NL is the principal reason why I only rent with Hertz. Since the majority of my driving is done when traveling and thus typically over areas that I'm not familiar with at all, NL really does a very good job of getting me where I need to go 99% of the time.

I have run into situations where I've clearly run into a satellite "dead spot", but never for very long, especially in rural areas. My biggest complaint is that when I do screw up and miss a turn, it takes a bit too long to re-calculate the new route. In urban driving, you can easily drive past several opportunities to right yourself while it's still thinking, but in all fairness, if you had to figure it out for yourself, you'd probably take as long, if not longer, so I don't know if it's even a fair complaint.

Prices on the consumer unit have come down so much in the past 6-12 months that I think it will not be too long before I just go out and buy a unit to take with me and forego the option through Hertz. At $10 a day, those NL charges can really add up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.