Liability Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:53 pm
mka
Original Poster

Programs: NW silver, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Liability Insurance

Hi,

Last weekend i was at a HLE at Charlotte with a friend. He was renting a car and did not have Liability. Our company provides LDW for personal rentals. I was of the impression that we have to buy Liability insurance if we dont have it. However, the HLE guy said that one part of the contract states that if the person renting the car does not have liability insurance, then the state minimum comes into effect and Hertz bares the cost. He showed us a Hertz advertisement with the terms and conditions and the state minimums for most of the states.

I got a similar response from the Gold line.

If this is true, then for any rental by any person, upto the state minimum there is absolutely no need to buy liability insurance. Any comments????
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:32 pm

This is true in most states (California is a notable exception--you need to get liability insurance if you don't have it there).

However, the state minimum insurance is often not very much. The Hertz liability option covers up to $1,000,000, so it can be a good idea to get it if you don't have any other liability coverage.

On a related note--I don't have any liability insurance (because I live in NYC and don't have a car). I've heard that there is such a thing as an insurance policy that covers rental cars only. Does anyone have an idea of an insurance company that might offer this (and what it would be called)?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:43 am

I know there is http://www.insurance4carhire.com/, but it is not valid for US and Canadian residents, so I would like to know the answer to jordyn's questions as well, if anyone knows.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
This is true in most states (California is a notable exception--you need to get liability insurance if you don't have it there).

However, the state minimum insurance is often not very much. The Hertz liability option covers up to $1,000,000, so it can be a good idea to get it if you don't have any other liability coverage.

On a related note--I don't have any liability insurance (because I live in NYC and don't have a car). I've heard that there is such a thing as an insurance policy that covers rental cars only. Does anyone have an idea of an insurance company that might offer this (and what it would be called)?
You can call the major insurance companies (like Geico, Progressive, AllState etc) and ask about "non owner" auto policies. Usually sell for $200-300 a year. If you rent multiple times for personal use, that saves you the LIS at a stroke. 20 or so rentals and the policy pays for itself! Only caveat, the policies are not available in all 50 states (I know DC is excluded for now ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.