Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I cancel my CC?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Should I cancel my CC?

I just had a car rental location informed me that I returned the car damage and wanted to know about the accident.

I did not damage the car nor have any idea what they are talking about--I won't bother you with the details, but I returned after hours to a location they approved and the car was moved by someone else.

I had a similar problem last year where I learned car rental companies have a lot of power to bill in these cases.

Should I cancel my Diners club [Australia rental, so no coverage] just to make sure they cannot bill anything?

I really don't remember what I signed [as far as CC approvals], but is that the quickest way to make the problem go away.
Old May 2, 2006, 9:49 pm

Did you select the full insurance option ? The only time I've ever had a rental car claimed as damaged by Hertz was the time when I'd picked the Zero Excess Insurance...
Old May 2, 2006, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Did you select the full insurance option ? The only time I've ever had a rental car claimed as damaged by Hertz was the time when I'd picked the Zero Excess Insurance...
No, I think I am liable for $2700AUD.

Nevertheless, I have no idea what they are talking about.

I did have a 'funny' feeling about the people working at the rental location (in the middle of nowhere AUS).
Old May 3, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: marriott platinum
Originally Posted by AAaLot
No, I think I am liable for $2700AUD.

Nevertheless, I have no idea what they are talking about.

I did have a 'funny' feeling about the people working at the rental location (in the middle of nowhere AUS).
When I rent I always close out the contract at the Hertz office. And if they are too lazy to get off their butts, so be it.

You should never leave the depot without the contract is closed out. You are not allowed to not accept the costs on your credit card, albeit you can fight them. Most USA based cards have CDW on the card... Check your card!
Old May 3, 2006, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I don't see how you could be liable after they've taken the car back. If, as you say, someone else got in the car and drove it away, then how are you to know it wasn't an employee that caused the damage?
Old May 3, 2006, 6:47 am

Programs: marriott platinum
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I don't see how you could be liable after they've taken the car back. If, as you say, someone else got in the car and drove it away, then how are you to know it wasn't an employee that caused the damage?
But all the Hertz's people will state that it wasn't them...Duh . Always better to close out the contract, even if it takes the effort of going into the office. I once was sent the bill from Manchster Airport in the UK for damage. I faxed them the close out paperwork and the issue was closed.
Old May 3, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by LH SEN
When I rent I always close out the contract at the Hertz office. And if they are too lazy to get off their butts, so be it.

You should never leave the depot without the contract is closed out. You are not allowed to not accept the costs on your credit card, albeit you can fight them. Most USA based cards have CDW on the card... Check your card!
Will be difficult if you return the car after hour.

I had such a problem once in Paris. I returned a car after hour and the day after they gave me a call that I returned a demaged car. I denied because when I returned the car everything was fine. Finally after some discussion they came around and everything was fine. ^
Old May 14, 2006, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

*** Feedback

I did get charged $2700AUD.

They claim I returned the car damaged, I claim I didn't.

Am I out of luck?

What do you suggest?
Old May 14, 2006, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I don't know what the law is where you are, but in some jurisdictions, canceling the card won't make a difference. They could claim that by canceling the card, you're admitting the issue.

If you didn't damage the car, then someone else did. If someone else damaged the car, and you're getting the blame, then the other party didn't come forward and admit what they did. It sounds to me that you should file a police report.

A friend from the UK had a similar problem with Hertz at Newark Airport. He returned the car (I was with him); the car was fine. He had taken out full insurance. A few weeks after he returned home, Hertz at Newark explained that there was X thousand dollars of damage; they asked him to complete some form so that they could claim the money on the insurance. It was clearly a scam. I contacted Hertz at Newark and explained the situation; to make a long story short; they eventually relented claiming some kind of clerical error. In your case, however, it doesn't sound like you had an independent witness to corroborate that you returned the car in one piece. Going forward, when I return a car at one of these locations, I am going to use my phone to photograph the car to show the state it was in upon the return. All I need is to capture the license plate of another car, just returned, to date stamp (within reason) when the vehicle was returned.
Old May 14, 2006, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

*** feedback

Finally, I was able to talk to the speicic Hertz location.

I drove this car on an unsealed road [but suitable for non-4WD] and they are claiming:

1) this damaged the car to the tune of $2700AUD [!!!!] [my max liability] and

2) that they told me not to drive an unsealed road [they did not tell me, but I am sure it is in the fine print somewhere].

Again, they did not tell me to drive on an unsealed road, and the road I did drive the car is a regular non-4WD 'outback Australia Road.

I will ask for a copy of the contract to look for exclusions.

Does $2700AUD sound reasonable if there was no noticable damage [I have a picture of the car after going on this unsealed road]. What are their requirements regarding this?

Any suggestions?
Old May 20, 2006, 6:50 pm

You are in a tricky situation.

From the T&C:

"
You will be fully responsible and liable for Damages where the Vehicle is used:

· on any road or other surface which is not sealed other than a road under repair, a short access road to a National or State Park, tourist attraction or holiday accommodation or a road notified to you by Hertz, unless the Vehicle is a four wheel drive;

· in any Alpine Resort during the gazetted snow season or in any other area under conditions where a reasonable person would use snow chains, unless SNO is offered to and accepted by you as noted on the Form;

· on any beach or in any other area exposed to saltwater;

· in any area or under any circumstances (including crossing a waterway) where the Vehicle may or does become partially or totally immersed in water;

· under any circumstances where the Vehicle may or does sustain damage to the body or undercarriage as a result of making contact with a stationary object overhanging or on the road surface (including driving or attemptingto drive under, over or around any such object);

· in any other area or region specified to you by Hertz as an area or region in which the Vehicle must not be used."

Note that there are certain "excluded" areas for driving, but I doubt if you would have been to them - unless driving way North from Cairns, or around Darwin or parts of remote Queensland.

Have a look at https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/re...NS&EOAG=BNET50
and
https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/re...NS&EOAG=BNET50
for more information.

I'd be interested as to what damage they claim to have sustained. I would expect some stone damage driving on unsealed roads, but not $2700 worth. Unless of course you "bottomed" the car out and did damage to the underside, or drove over a tree, or through a river etc and did damage...

Last edited by Aus_Mal; May 20, 2006 at 7:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.