Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Ride Report" - KIA Amanti

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:54 pm

I had one of these for a week. I got it brand new; had something like 100 miles on it.

Great engine power. It's surprisingly quick. Quiet ride, nice big moonroof, decent stereo, and some fun knicknacks. It even looks good, if you forget for a second that they ripped off the previous-generation MB E-class.

My biggest complaint is I found the seats very uncomfortable. Maybe it's because they're pretty flat, and not contoured? I always felt not-quite-right in that seat. This car uses a LOT of gas (no scientific measurements done, just my constant surprise at how much it was burning -- that fuel tank is huge, btw, so it's deceptive how much you're using), the interior feels like a Kia, the trunk is strangely very very heavy to lift, and the impression I get is this car would fall apart after continued use. They missed a lot of details on the interior. Plus you have to put up with all the snide looks that come to those driving a fake E-class.
Old May 1, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by pynchonesque
This car uses a LOT of gas (no scientific measurements done, just my constant surprise at how much it was burning -- that fuel tank is huge, btw, so it's deceptive how much you're using)
I must be the only one in here who got decent mileage on the Amanti. I put about 400 highway miles on (avg speed 75-80 mph through northern Utah and southern Idaho) and was getting around 24-25 mpg.
Old May 3, 2005, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I was initially offered a Ford Explorer last week in ATL. I went back to the Gold Counter and was offered the KIA Amanti. After two customers, on in Flowery Branch and the other in Clio, SC (yes, I drove), I put on over 1,100 miles during the week. I have to say that I do like this car. Gas mileage is not as good as my Honda Accord 4 cylinder but what do you expect. I like the power and the comfort of the ride. I can say that I would certainly be happy to have this car each time I rent. ^
Old May 16, 2005, 9:56 pm

Mixed driving (a significant portion highway) last week yielded 16.8 MPG. I do tend to accelerate this car aggressively, but still, 16.8 is awful.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:23 pm

For some reason when I try to rent this class at ORD, it is one of the few that they offer that restrict mileage on you. You can rent an Audi or an FX35 and drive for as many miles as you want without them blinking an eye, but get into an Amanti and they limit you like they do with the Jags...any ideas why this class takes precedence, at least if looking from a limited miles standpoint, compared to the Audi or FX? I was thinking about getting into this class in hope that I could land a G35, or even an Avalon (wouldn't want the Kia-going very long distance) but cannot for sake of paying on the extra miles...
Old May 17, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
I have gotten this car, the Avalon and the Grand Marquis recently in upgrades. Pesonally I would take the Kia andy day over the Grand Marquis, I am not a fan of that "cushy" suspension.
I am also not a big Avalon fan... it's a nice car, but...

Of the three I like the Kia best.
Old May 17, 2005, 6:17 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Not ALL Kia's are created alike

The general feeling of this thread (as I read) was tha the Kia Amanti was a decent (if thirsty) vehicle. A friend owns one so I have ridden a bit in the Chicago pot-hole land and it is a very quiet and stable-seeming car (at least when new-ish).

Using the Kia is a Kia logic .. I rented (counter upgrade) a Kia Sorrento (their mini-SUV).

NO NO NO! This beast was very low mileage so my comments are not on an old well-used thing.

It had NO pickup. No guts on Dallas freeways at all.

It had horrible high-centered cornering control .. had to really brake!

I felt I was sitting very high up and felt the seats were poorly designed.

The RIDE was RUFFFFF.

The interior sound level was HORRIBLE (the Amanti was very very quiet).

When I turned the AC on .. the little engine went DRAG .. just like about 30 years ago when AC was introduced.. with the AC on I had NO pickup at all.

SO BE WARNED .. if they try and upgrade you to a Sorrento .. the 'cute little SUV' I will decline it. Yea I will accept an Amanti tho . . the ride was far more pleasant.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
In OAK last week, I arrived early and my name wasn't up on the board yet. The woman at the counter asked me if I wanted an Explorer SUV. I'm not a fan of big SUVs so I turned it down (the woman seemed shocked). I requested a Camry since I saw one right outside, but she said it was spoken for, but that I could have a Kia Amanti, which she described as even better.

I admit I enjoyed it, but I agree with Tigger that it's a reach as an H class. It's more comparable to a Grand Marquis to me, although I like the handling a little better than the big boats and the gas mileage, while not great, was better than the big cars.

One plus that I think hasn't been mentioned is the heating and cooling. In the Bay Area last weekend, we needed both, and the car heats up or cools down almost instantly. One negative is that I dropped my driver's license underneath the seat (next to the gear shift) as I was leaving the Hertz lot. It was impossible to get it out. I ended up having to take apart a wire hanger and fish it out that way. I even had a pedestrian ask me what I was doing (I think he thought I was trying to hotwire the car or something).
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had ordered a Taurus at ORD. When I got to my Gold Club spot, there was an Amanti sitting there. We had a 30" suitcase, a garment bag, and a larger-than-normal umbrella stroller, and it was pretty difficult to fit all of them in the trunk. I own a 2000 Ford Taurus, and I think the Taurus wouldn't have had as much of a problem with all of that gear.

I also own a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, which uses the same V6 engine as the Amanti. They are both very similar: the powerband is between 3250 and 4000rpm, it's got decent acceleration, and it drinks about 20mpg in 40/60 highway/city driving. The ride also felt about the same, with the Amanti feeling just a tad smoother over the bumps.

My mother owns a 1998 Lexus LS400, and the A/C and windshield washers on the Amanti seemed to be copied directly from that. One nice feature is the "separate" rear cabin vent that you can adjust the temperature separate from the front cabin.

All in all, I was satisfied with the Amanti. I only consider it an upgrade because of the leather seats, sunroof, the forest of fake wood inside, and 6-disc changer.

Edited to add: I think Vespa scooters have louder horns than the Amanti.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jun 13, 2005 at 5:19 pm
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Rented a full size and my 5* upgrade was an Amanti.

Overall it was OK - power seats on psgr side, leather, dual climate control, 6 CD stero, sun roof, large trunk.

Did not have the umph that I thought it might and the beeping horn when you locked the car was embarassing....

Last time got think it was a Grand Marquis --- this was more memorable, but not as nice a ride.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Don't like the saggy arse too much, but otherwise it's a great rental.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I'm wondering what Kia has in store for the Amanti replacement. If it's anything like what the XG350 replacement is going to be (the 2006 Azera), it might be something to look forward to:

Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA *Gold
I had an Amanti in ABQ over the weekend. Nice interior and gadgets but it drove like a boat; terrible oversteer and very soft suspension made I-25 to Santa Fe a whole new experience. The Lincoln Town Car they gave me last time was much better, also and surprisingly had better gas mileage ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.