Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why is it more expensive on some days and not others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is it more expensive on some days and not others?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Cool Why is it more expensive on some days and not others?

I was checking out the prices of rentals on hertz and it was $127 weekly but then the next day it jumped to $170.99. Is there a way to "trick" the system to allow cheaper reservations?
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Supply and demand, I imagine. Weekends are often cheaper (especially at airport locations) since they have less traffic and need to push cars.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You're asking two questions:

(1) Why do rental cars cost more on some days than others? Sea Tigger answered that one pretty well.

(2) Why are eight day rentals a pain in the arse in most rental car systems? (5-day, 9-day, and 12-day rentals are sometimes a pain, too.)

The problem is that the systems are based on weekly, daily, and weekend rates. An eight day rental nearly always prices as a weekly+daily - even on a Sat-Sun rental. Weekly rates can usually be brought down with a good CDP/PC combo - I'm assuming that's how you got $127. But the daily rate that they tack on is still a crappy one-day rate, usually 1/5th or 1/6th of the base weekly rate.

The only "tricks" are to try your entire repertoire of CDP/PC's and try breaking it into two rentals. If two rentals yields cheaper rates, you can then decide if making a car swap is worth it. (Yes, they physically make you swap cars.) I do this on 10-day rentals a couple of times a year: it's worth the time if I can get a weekly + weekend with optimal CDP/PC's on both.

Finally, if you are still unsatisfied with the rates, you can see what Priceline has to offer. If a cheap small car is what you are after, you might be able to get one in the low teens per day. The trade-off is Hertz service vs. a potential airport hassle somewhere else.

If it were me, I'd probably take the $171 and be done with it. I don't think the other options will save you enough money to justify the hassle. Hard to say without knowing airport/dates...
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:40 pm

It's been my experience, and I've been told this repeatedly by Hertz CSRs, that rates increase as inventory dwindles for a given date at a given location. Rental charges can shoot up 25% or 50% in a matter of hours.

Also, weekend rates usually begin at noon on Thursday, so if your rentals have begun on both sides of that time threshold, you'll likely have seed a huge difference for what might look like a weekday rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.