Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Avail: MCO, Pres Day Wkend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
No Avail: MCO, Pres Day Wkend

Tried to book a 4-day rental at MCO (2/19-22), and the majors had no availability (Hertz, Nat'l, Alamo). Budget had availability, but compact cars were going for $57/day+tax. Is there a huge convention in town, or did their inventory shift somewhere else...I miss those $18-25/day rates...
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ger3sf
Tried to book a 4-day rental at MCO (2/19-22), and the majors had no availability (Hertz, Nat'l, Alamo). Budget had availability, but compact cars were going for $57/day+tax. Is there a huge convention in town, or did their inventory shift somewhere else...I miss those $18-25/day rates...
I'm able to book all different types of cars for those dates. Midsize is showing $37.80 / day though at hertz.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Being President's Circle at Hertz is supposed to guarantee availability - I suppose they grab inventory from area HLE's if they have to.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
That's a nice perk for the Pres Circle.

Still no luck at hertz.com...keep getting..."We're sorry there are no vehicles available for this request".

I'll hang onto the Budget rez and keep checking avail from Hertz a few more times. At least I have a decent rate ($25/day+tax, full-size) from Hertz for this coming 3-day weekend at OGG. At the end of the day (year), it all balances out. Thx.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Being President's Circle at Hertz is supposed to guarantee availability - I suppose they grab inventory from area HLE's if they have to.
Only the corporate locations really honor this. Franchise locations don't honor this as I was going to fly into XNA for my 132nd airport on my list. I had to fly to same old SGF instead.

HLE was going to charge $119.00/day for unlimited miles.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I guess Florida inventory is still a mess. I had this problem for a trip to Florida in the fall: all of the agencies were low on cars and scrambling to get more inventory into Florida as fast as they could.

Looks like you have two options:

(1) Third-tier agency at the airport. Looking at Orbitz, I haven't even heard of half of those companies, but they do have cars from the $20's per day on up for that weekend. Perhaps if you have a third-day-free coupon for Enterprise, their $40/day price tag would be tolerable.

(2) Neighborhood location. Worst case: these locations will have cars at decent rates. Most of Hertz's HLEs are downtown Orlando, but Budget has a few that are closer to MCO. If saving some money and avoiding the likes of Payless Rent-A-Car meets your needs, consider one of these. The Budget locations have cars in the low $30's per day and you can certainly apply a 3rd day free or something similar to get it lower. Sometimes these locations will pick you up, drop you off, or comp you some cab fare. There's a hassle-factor involved, but it might not be much worse than the hassle-factor of messing with the third tier.

You can also try Priceline, but my guess is that it won't yield much given that Hertz and National-Alamo have no cars and Avis and Budget seem to have very few.

Finally, you can keep checking and hope that the Florida rental agencies have resolved their supply crisis between now and then.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:08 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
Go Direct

Originally Posted by ger3sf
Still no luck at hertz.com...keep getting..."We're sorry there are no vehicles available for this request".
You might try calling the station directly. I did this last year when going to FLL Presidents' Day weekend. (There's a "little" boat show then.) I explained to the station manager that I was a FLL "regular" and he had one of his folks open up a reservation for me. ^
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:34 pm

I had no luck for FLL either (online anyway). I might try PBI instead if I can find similar airfares. Maybe I'll just have to use my free weekend some other time.

Jay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.