Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Problems with Sirius satellite radio in PHL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle

I rented with Hertz in Philadelphia this week and drove it over 600 miles all over in and out of the city and over into south Jersey. I had so many problems with the satellite radio that I was completly convinced that it was in no way worth the cost.

On all channels it would constantly cut out, and most of the time if it had a signal it would not be able to get the info.

Upon returning it to Hertz, the attendant told me "They all cut out, all the time." I was suprised.

Anyone else had experience with the satellite radio? Could this problem be specific to Philadelpia? Please don't tell me about tall buildings and bridges affecting satellites, I understand that already, but this was still a problem in the open. MC
Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by emcee
Anyone else had experience with the satellite radio?
Yes, but not in Philly (I'll let you know if I get it there, as I'll be flying to PHL on the 17th!)

It has worked nearly flawlesly for me on my trips to California. Extreme rain/clouds would cause dropouts, as would (oddly, I thought...) driving along some tree-lined winding roads. However, I've always been very pleased for around-town, and have never experienced many problems with tall buildings, unless stuck in traffic. Heck, even going through short tunnels, the system seems to buffer enough data to prevent a dropout.

I've never lived back east, so I don't know if satellite reception is perhaps more of a black art there.

Sorry to hear you had a lousy experience!
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, HI Platinum, Delta Platinum
I had a problem with rental in AZ, driving through to NM. The radio would cut out for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I did not have 30 minutes of constant receiption during the total 800 mile trip. I have a XM MYFI and never have had this problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.