Wiki Posts
Search

PCs for knocking down a luxury rental?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?
PCs for knocking down a luxury rental?

I need to rent somethign large enought to hold 5 adults + 3 hard side samsonite 28". This is for the period dec 22 - 27 in the SJC area. I am #1 Club Gold.

As I try to work through the reservation process, i notice that any other class that will hold 5 adults and above luggage, is all sold out (mini vans, Ford Explorers etc.). So, looks like the only atlernative is to go for a Lincoln Town Car. I know it can easily accomodate my group with their luggage.

The rates I get with my AAA are 87.54 per day. Are there any PCs folks can recommend to drive down the rate any further? I am Marriott Silver, America West Silver - if either of those will get me any discounts.

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:55 am

does it have to be hertz

I just booked for Jan. at budget for an suv for 199.00 a week+ any coupons or aaa etc. It's a special they are having in Calif. i am paying 191.00 for 8 days for a mid sized suv

http://www.budget.com/deals/hotdeals/suvs_cal.html
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
A Premium (Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis) will fit your needs extemely well - probably better then the Town Car, to be honest - and is half the price, on average.

I often have to take five to six adults and rent the premium. Works like a charm.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
A Premium (Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis) will fit your needs extemely well - probably better then the Town Car, to be honest - and is half the price, on average.

I often have to take five to six adults and rent the premium. Works like a charm.
Will two car seats (children 3 and 5) plus one adult fit better in the back of the towncar or the Grand Marquis? Ideally, a Minivan or a Suburban, but those seem sold out anyway.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't really answer that, but the Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria seem to have more width then the Town Car. At least in front, the Town Car doors snug right up to the seats (there is no in-door storage at the bottom). Only times I sit in the back of a Town Car is when I am being driven to/from the airport so I have plenty of room.

Still, the Premium can be no worse then the Town Car. Also, the Premium's are more a bench seat in the back, where the Town Cars might be more "sculpted" left and right seats.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 9:03 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
$50 off a weekly on several carriers (including Hertz):

http://www.smarterliving.com/car/deal.php?id=7414
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Will two car seats (children 3 and 5) plus one adult fit better in the back of the towncar or the Grand Marquis? Ideally, a Minivan or a Suburban, but those seem sold out anyway.
We've rented both and have taken family/friends on 2-4 hour trips. I actually think the Grand Marquis has more interior room than the Town Car, at least it appeared so with a full load (we had 6 in the car for some short trips around town for a wedding).

The premium is usually a much better deal on a weekly rental and there are more PC's which relate to it. Check AAA if you are a member.

I recall seeing a free day tease in a recent Gold e-mail. Did one of these recently on a 7 day (used the weekly rate for a full-size) and they took off one day's rental charge. Got a SUV (Chevy Trailblazer) in LIH for 200.93 all-in.

Enjoy your trip!

Pat
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Got a Towncar, but...

I booked a Towncar with unlimited miles. They did have a Mini van with 100 mi/day and .29c/mi thereafter. That's more expensive than the Towncar.

So, here's my question to folks here. What's the likelihood of going in for the Towncar, but asking for a switch to an Expedition or a Minivan?

Are they more likely to listen/consider the request if the booking is a Luxury vs a Premium?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If the van is really what you're after, I'd follow 2hot's recommendation and check all of the agencies for the best-available rate using whichever codes are available to you (I always try AAA, Costco, Entertainment, and whatever else people are chirping about here on FT).

The main reason I suggest this is because while Hertz can be very competitive (rate-wise) on "normal" car rates, frequently they are not on premiums, luxury cars, vans, and SUVs. Check out Budget, Alamo, National, and Dollar, plugging and playing with various rate code and coupons codes. IME, nearly all of my "normal" car rentals are Hertz, but nearly all of my specialty car bookings are with someone else because the rates are so much lower.

Then find your optimal booking and go see if Priceline can significantly beat it.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just an FYI for those interested in renting Luxury, Hertz does have a Specialty Luxury (YI) Town Car. It is the Town Car Ultimate, and it's pretty slick. Comes with a sunroof, parking assist (the radar-sensors in the back bumper - nice for a vehicle as long as a Ford Excursion SUV), and heated seats. Haven't checked the trunk to see if it has a CD changer, but there is CD/Cassette/Radio.

Got it as a free upgrade on a free Premium rental at SEA. Handles like the barge a TC is, but a great freeway cruiser in terms of ride. And seems to get vastly better mileage then my last TC. Done 30 miles (mostly highway) and the needle hasn't moved. My last TC burned an eighth of a tank circling the airport (curse you Code Orange!).
Old Dec 9, 2004, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Cheaper rates on Luxury

Originally Posted by pinniped
If the van is really what you're after, I'd follow 2hot's recommendation ....
Fickle Fickle. I originally thought a Van would be great. But, after hearing back from a couple of FTers to my pointed questions, I am going to proceed with the TC.

Having never driven (been driven in, but not driven one), the novelty is appealing.

Advise on Priceline/Budget/..etc taken.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Just an FYI for those interested in renting Luxury, Hertz does have a Specialty Luxury (YI) Town Car. It is the Town Car Ultimate, and it's pretty slick. Comes with a sunroof, parking assist (the radar-sensors in the back bumper - nice for a vehicle as long as a Ford Excursion SUV), and heated seats. Haven't checked the trunk to see if it has a CD changer, but there is CD/Cassette/Radio.

Sounds interesting. Any chances of booking YI or do I have to ask on car pickup?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hammer
Sounds interesting. Any chances of booking YI or do I have to ask on car pickup?
Usually specialty (Y) cars are either offered as a paid upgrade (usually $15) at the counter, or given to you by default when you arrive at your stall if using Gold Canopy service.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 9:20 pm

don't forget to check the local Edition sites ... often they havea different mix of vehicles - plus you won't pay the airport concession fees

On the other hand,
- they won't accomodate a late flight as easily
- two in car seats may wait easily
- airport return is not necessarily a snap

in some locations (Boston springs to mind) the difference can be 20% or more
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

HLE is definitely better.

Originally Posted by Avalanche
don't forget to check the local Edition sites ... often they havea different mix of vehicles - plus you won't pay the airport concession fees
...in some locations (Boston springs to mind) the difference can be 20% or more
Avalanche:
This is precisely what I found. I am renting a Lincoln town car at the Santa Clara Marriott. This is an off airport location about 5 miles north of SJC. They are picking us up and taking us over. Return is similar. Renting at SJC is nearly 20% higher than at the Santa Clara Marriott.

Since the Hertz location at Marriott is dropping us back at SJC, I can request them to use the same lincoln saving us the hassle of transfering bags etc. to another vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.