Unable to decline LDW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Hilton Diamond
Unable to decline LDW

Hi all.

First time poster in this forum.

Quick question - I have made a reservation for a 2 day rental in LAS using Amex Plat code. For some reason, it is impossible to remove the LDW element of the reservation and I find it strange that it does not break down the cost of this element of the reservation!

I would like the LDW removed as I am covered using the Amex Plat card which states that if I don’t decline insurance I may not be covered!

Is this a common issue? If so, is it possible to reserve a car without LDW online? Worst case, am I able to remove at the rental desk?

TIA
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
On which website are you pricing this rental? Is your country of residence being provided when you price the rental?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
On which website are you pricing this rental? Is your country of residence being provided when you price the rental?
It’s the UK Hertz site and yes, my country of residence is provided as UK (which is in my profile).

I did however do a dummy booking on Hertz.com and changed my country to US and no longer adds LDW. As such, I take it this is the solution?! Only issue is that my Rewards number is not applied.

I don’t understand why LDW cannot be removed when booking via UK site!

Last edited by GiddyKipper638; Mar 25, 2024 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiddyKipper638
It’s the UK Hertz site and yes, my country of residence is provided as UK (which is in my profile).

I did however do a dummy booking on Hertz.com and did not include my country of residence and it still automatically adds LDW!
If you have a Hertz Gold account, are you entering your account number when you price the rental? Try a dummy booking without your Hertz Gold number and without the Amex Platinum code via hertz.com on an incognito browser and see if you get the same problem.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you have a Hertz Gold account, are you entering your account number when you price the rental? Try a dummy booking without your Hertz Gold number and without the Amex Platinum code via hertz.com on an incognito browser and see if you get the same problem.
Thanks for the info. I edited my previous response and in essence, it allows me to book without adding LDW via the US site but still using my Amex code. As such, will likely book via this route and not include my Gold Rewards number. I guess this will not be an issue reserving via the US site?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to
my queries 👍
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info. I edited my previous response and in essence, it allows me to book without adding LDW via the US site but still using my Amex code. As such, will likely book via this route and not include my Gold Rewards number. I guess this will not be an issue reserving via the US site?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to
my queries 👍
You're welcome!

Have you checked your Hertz Gold profile to see if you've opted in for LDW -- at least in some countries? And does your profile contain a CDP number different from the Amex Platinum's?

I trust that you're also covered for third-party liability, and not just for LDW. (U.S.-issued cards do not cover third-party liability, but I believe that U.K.-issued Amex Platinum cards do.)
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC

I did however do a dummy booking on Hertz.com and changed my country to US and no longer adds LDW. As such, I take it this is the solution?! Only issue is that my Rewards number is not applied.

I don’t understand why LDW cannot be removed when booking via UK site!
I believe, from what I have seen on other sites, etc. that all car hires reserved from the UK have to have the LDW included as part of the cost of the rental.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.