Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fake "damage" charge at NCE. Any appeal possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

I rented a car at the Hertz Nice (France) airport location for about 36 hours in May. Upon return, the agent doing the walkthrough discovered the luggage cover in the hatchback is missing. I had not used the trunk at all during the rental and never noticed its absence, and I'm not sure I would have noticed it missing in any case. I was charged 250 euros for "missing accessories". I have written to the normal customer service channels and have reached a dead end. Unless I can produce a picture of the trunk area without the cover, taken at the time I picked up the car, then the charge stands. I did take pictures of numerous scratches and dents on the outside, but nothing in the interior. The car was never valeted or otherwise driven by anyone but me.

I considered a CC chargeback but I expect that would have no chance of success. Is there any way to appeal this to Hertz corporate? I'll never be able to prove the cover was not there at the start of the rental, and it is the most ridiculous thing for someone to lose or steal. I note that their own pre-rental condition report includes numerous pictures but even they made no attempt to photograph the interior. I've been pretty loyal to Hertz for probably 40 years but I now can't see using them in the future except to draw down my point balance.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 22, 2023 at 5:27 am Reason: duplicate post deleted
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If you succeed with a chargeback, you might end up on the Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty Not Rent list. Might still be worth trying.

I am pretty sure I have more than once received a rental car from Hertz that had a spot for a trunk cover, but no cover. Can Hertz provide evidence (photo at the time of rental) that there was one installed?

(note to self: add trunk area to the video/photo capture routine. Maybe also pop the hood and capture some shots of that area for good measure. Also, stick the camera/phone under the car to make sure any undercarriage damage is captured)
bon mot likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Add to your list spare wheel/kit, jack. Hertz in Germany tried sticking that on me twice, the second time I had a photo of an empty boot floor and told them they were lying toads trying to scam renters. As it was a corporate booking the our hertz contact rep apparently sighed and put a block on all similar charges going forwards.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MalFr
Add to your list spare wheel/kit, jack.
And first aid kit and yellow vest, which I believe are mandatory equipment in all vehicles in Germany.

Just picked up an Avis rental (in US) today and did extensive video/photo coverage of pre-existing damage. It’s a Camry, so no removable trunk cover.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
For what it's worth I rented from Hertz at ABQ Albuquerque two months ago. I looked at 5-6 SUV's looking for a hatchback cover and they all were removed.
notquiteaff and tecate55 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:35 am

Almost as bad as getting billed for missing a gas cap. Never opened the fuel door until just before returning to fill the tank and the cap was missing and this wasn't the new capless type too. Never won that battle, at least it wasn't Hertz.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Almost as bad as getting billed for missing a gas cap. Never opened the fuel door until just before returning to fill the tank and the cap was missing and this wasn't the new capless type too. Never won that battle, at least it wasn't Hertz.
I'm surprised that the Check Engine light didn't come on. Usually that happens after about 15 minutes of driving without a gas cap.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I wouldn't put it past them trying to bill for a missing cap on a capless type...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this sounds like a scam. Why would the check-in agent even look for that luggage cover? Unless, of course, they charge every renter (or at least every first-time or seemingly casual renter) €250 knowing that it is nearly impossible to fight...
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this sounds like a scam. Why would the check-in agent even look for that luggage cover? Unless, of course, they charge every renter (or at least every first-time or seemingly casual renter) €250 knowing that it is nearly impossible to fight...
And I'm certain they did not pull that car out of the rotation until the luggage cover could be replaced. Making that car the gift that keeps on giving.

Per my original post, is there anyone or any place at a higher level at Hertz I can contact about this? My best guess is a snail mail note to the CEO at the corporate address (8501 Williams Road, Estero, Florida 33928).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 5:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hertz exec office contact info - FlyerTalk Forums
Stripe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.