Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

contract not closed out 4 days after return

contract not closed out 4 days after return

Old May 12, 2022, 1:09 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 10,921
contract not closed out 4 days after return

had an uneventful rental in kona last weekend, came back to airport agent looked at car, waived us to the bus and told to wait for receipt by email - a fairly usual thing these days... four days later no receipt, no charge on cc and according to hertz cs contract is not closed out.. she said she would request a closeout.. anything to be concerned on my end?
azepine00 is offline  
Old May 12, 2022, 1:29 pm
  #2  
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: autoslash.com | hotelslash.com
Posts: 5,687
Hmm, ordinarily we’d say no, but…

How to Avoid Being Accused of Not Returning a Rental Car

Last edited by AutoSlash; May 12, 2022 at 1:44 pm
AutoSlash is offline  
Old May 12, 2022, 1:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,876
Autoslash meant to say, normally we would say no but this is Hertz ...
s0ssos is offline  
Old May 13, 2022, 7:14 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: JFK LGA PBI BOI
Posts: 912
Better get the phone number for Francis Malofiy of Francis Alexander, LLC. and be prepared to see if you can join the class action suit.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...olice-reports/
KRSW likes this.
Brighton Line is offline  
Old May 13, 2022, 12:32 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by azepine00
had an uneventful rental in kona last weekend, came back to airport agent looked at car, waived us to the bus and told to wait for receipt by email - a fairly usual thing these days... four days later no receipt, no charge on cc and according to hertz cs contract is not closed out.. she said she would request a closeout.. anything to be concerned on my end?
Apparently happens a lot, but it should be solved within several days. Send a Twitter to them if still no receipt sent to you
finlandia and Ordpc like this.
corolla is offline  
Old May 17, 2022, 9:07 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 10,921
Finally showed up over the weekend - a week later..
azepine00 is offline  
Old May 17, 2022, 9:10 am
  #7  
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: autoslash.com | hotelslash.com
Posts: 5,687
Originally Posted by azepine00
Finally showed up over the weekend - a week later..
Great! Did the final invoice show the correct return date/time?
AutoSlash is offline  
Old May 17, 2022, 11:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Posts: 581
I had a return never got the receipt, the hold/charge disappeared off the CC. I sent a missing request with the receipt I was given on leaving and no response. There was an issue as their systems were down and were doing manual transactions so I wonder if that was the cause.
cubeman is offline  
Old May 20, 2022, 12:49 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,219
I have had it happen before. Hertz encourages you to just leave the vehicle and they will check it in, but seems sometimes it gets moved back into population without getting closed out. Big pain in the rear end.

I now wait with my car until they check in staff actually check it in before heading off. Bit inconvenient, but lesson learned. Usually only takes a minute or two
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:23 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BCN
Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Posts: 8,550
Bumping this to avoid starting a new thread. Rented for a month in LAX, picked up July 3 (had a great experience with London at the Gold counter - super helpful) and returned a few hours early on July 29. Despite asking twice for a receipt, the staff there just kept telling me to get on the bus and that I'd get a receipt by email "in a few minutes". Here it is a week later and still no receipt, no communication from Hertz, and no record of the rental on the website. With this thread in mind, I was insistent, but the guy there next to the car returns refused. I did take several photos of the car showing the license plate, the Hertz facility in the background, etc.

What is the best approach at this point? It seems like doing nothing, waiting for news is just asking for trouble.
alanw is offline  
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:48 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 10,219
Originally Posted by alanw
Bumping this to avoid starting a new thread. Rented for a month in LAX, picked up July 3 (had a great experience with London at the Gold counter - super helpful) and returned a few hours early on July 29. Despite asking twice for a receipt, the staff there just kept telling me to get on the bus and that I'd get a receipt by email "in a few minutes". Here it is a week later and still no receipt, no communication from Hertz, and no record of the rental on the website. With this thread in mind, I was insistent, but the guy there next to the car returns refused. I did take several photos of the car showing the license plate, the Hertz facility in the background, etc.

What is the best approach at this point? It seems like doing nothing, waiting for news is just asking for trouble.
Def call in and get it addressed now. No record of the rental on the website is weird. Assume you have your rental agreement with the number? Does the vehicle information on the rental agreement match what you were driving?

Did your credit card get charged?
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:12 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,047
Originally Posted by alanw
Bumping this to avoid starting a new thread. Rented for a month in LAX, picked up July 3 (had a great experience with London at the Gold counter - super helpful) and returned a few hours early on July 29. Despite asking twice for a receipt, the staff there just kept telling me to get on the bus and that I'd get a receipt by email "in a few minutes". Here it is a week later and still no receipt, no communication from Hertz, and no record of the rental on the website. With this thread in mind, I was insistent, but the guy there next to the car returns refused. I did take several photos of the car showing the license plate, the Hertz facility in the background, etc.
I had a similar experience recently with a Hertz rental at LAX, except that I did receive the email after a few days. I have another one coming up and will try to insist on a paper receipt (for tax/business reimbursement reasons). I plan to leave time in my schedule to escalate it up the chain from the guy in the lot to some sort of manager. Really dont like the feeling of not knowing whether Hertz has actually processed the return.
notquiteaff is online now  
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:41 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Posts: 1,690
Originally Posted by alanw
Bumping this to avoid starting a new thread. Rented for a month in LAX, picked up July 3 (had a great experience with London at the Gold counter - super helpful) and returned a few hours early on July 29. Despite asking twice for a receipt, the staff there just kept telling me to get on the bus and that I'd get a receipt by email "in a few minutes". Here it is a week later and still no receipt, no communication from Hertz, and no record of the rental on the website. With this thread in mind, I was insistent, but the guy there next to the car returns refused. I did take several photos of the car showing the license plate, the Hertz facility in the background, etc.

What is the best approach at this point? It seems like doing nothing, waiting for news is just asking for trouble.
Did you receive a rental agreement? Either a paper or email or both? No rental agreement, no rental. Not impossible to drive off the lot without a rental agreement. The staff wouldn't have a clue the vehicle is missing for weeks...
view-with-a-room is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:15 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I had a similar experience recently with a Hertz rental at LAX, except that I did receive the email after a few days. I have another one coming up and will try to insist on a paper receipt (for tax/business reimbursement reasons). I plan to leave time in my schedule to escalate it up the chain from the guy in the lot to some sort of manager. Really dont like the feeling of not knowing whether Hertz has actually processed the return.
I returned my car 24 hours ago, no email and no receipt in the Hertz app. Hopefully it will resolve like yours did. Chat and phone customer care said a receipt could take 24-48 hours from an airport location. I am glad I have some photo documentation that I left my car in their facility, in case I need it.
notquiteaff likes this.
mathprof is offline  
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:08 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,412
I would definitely try to get on the phone with the specific Hertz location and verify that it shows as returned. Or even go to the Hertz location in person if possible. I recently returned a rental and it never registered as returned. They were able to verify that the car was returned and re-rented the next day. Had I not called within 7 days, they said they wouldn't be able to do anything.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
newsmanhoss is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.