Wiki Posts
Search

Overdue Rental, no plans to return

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gotinfluence
That would be fraud by Hertz to report a vehicle stolen, when it was not. Not gonna happen.
Again, quit making stupid comments. Hertz would be committing a crime if they reported the car stolen.
I have spoken to Hertz several times about these situations. If the car is not back within a certain time frame, typically three days, after the end of the rental it is standard procedure to report the car stolen.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:18 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

That would be fraud by Hertz to report a vehicle stolen, when it was not. Not gonna happen.

Again, quit making stupid comments. Hertz would be committing a crime if they reported the car stolen.
I got a good chuckle out of this. Curious how it would be a crime if Hertz reports a vehicle stolen in this situation? The exact Utah code is Section 401.5:
Originally Posted by Utah Theft of Rental Vehicle Code
(2) A renter is guilty of theft of a rental vehicle if, without notice to and permission of the rental company, the renter knowingly fails without good cause to return the vehicle within 72 hours after the time established for the return in the rental agreement.
Auto Enthusiast and diburning like this.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jun 30, 2020 at 9:18 am Reason: Add Linked Code
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:25 am
bvb

Programs: aa
Rental Story...

Please forgive me digressing here, but I have a rental car story I never bothered to post.

Many years ago, before cellphones and computers, my spouse and I rented a Budget car from the desk at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach. We gave the paperwork to the valet parker and he brought the car right up. We jumped in and headed for a one week exploration of Southern Florida and Key West. Had a great time.

When we returned the car to the Palm Beach Airport Budget, the check-in guy took one look at it and said, "This isn't a Budget car. If it was it would have a tiny sticker in the door". I pulled out the Budget rental agreement, and he immediately pointed out that the plate numbers didn't match. I don't remember the make but it was a very similar and identically colored car. We looked in the glove box, and found that it was a privately owned car, immaculately kept up with no personal stuff whatsoever. He went to get the manager.

He had been waiting for us. When the Breakers realized the mistake, they called Budget and they left a message on our home number, which we hadn't bothered to check. Life was simpler then. Budget, the valet service, and the Breakers had worked with the real owner and told him they would be responsible for any damage and made an undisclosed settlement. Fortunately they didn't sic the highway patrol on us.

The manager said that hq had taken care of everything, and we were free to go. And literally free, since we had never taken possession of a Budget car. At least we left it full of gas...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I got a good chuckle out of this. Curious how it would be a crime if Hertz reports a vehicle stolen in this situation? The exact Utah code is Section 401.5:
This points to the simple fact that this is all a matter of state law. "Stolen" is a broad term which we use in conversations to describe a broad range of behaviors. Many states such as Utah, have specific statutes. Others have broader statutes which cover "joy-riding" and some of those may cover the situation where an individual does not return a vehicle as contracted.

OP's situation ended well. Bottom line is that Hertz got the revenue it should have received and got its vehicle back for transfer. The new owner got her vehicle. Thus, a win-win-win.

The best practice here is to reach out to the rental agency. No way to predict what happens in some alternative situation and certainly unpleasant to wind up detained by law enforcement (no matter what ultimately happens to the case).

Last edited by Often1; Jun 30, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Interesting happenstance, but they are in bankruptcy and selling off a lot of cars here recently. I think you are caught, you need to return it now, where it was supposed to be returned, one because it's the right thing to do, two, they could charge you some horrendous fees, and three, they could actually file a stolen vehcile report, nothing like a felony traffic stop to ruin your adventure. It's an inconvenience, but is is also one for the person needing the car they are buying that is overdue for return.

Patrick
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TIGA31328
Interesting happenstance, but they are in bankruptcy and selling off a lot of cars here recently. I think you are caught, you need to return it now, where it was supposed to be returned, one because it's the right thing to do, two, they could charge you some horrendous fees, and three, they could actually file a stolen vehcile report, nothing like a felony traffic stop to ruin your adventure. It's an inconvenience, but is is also one for the person needing the car they are buying that is overdue for return.

Patrick
OP returned the car on 22 May 😉
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:46 am

Driver

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Flyer talk help!

I am currently renting a jeep wrangler. We headed to the Utah desert when this whole quarantine thing started. When I rented the jeep I said I would return about a week ago. We are having fun with no intent to return soon. The last time I rented a car the same thing happened and the person at the Hertz counter told me no big deal it’s the same cost per day or week. Just return it when I want.

So two days ago I got a call from corporate saying my car is overdue. They told me they actually sold the car And I need to return it as soon as possible. Here’s the issue I am at least a four hour round-trip drive to the closest Hertz that doesn’t have another jeep to give me.

I am president circle if that means anything. Should I just return it when I want? Are they going to hit me with any big fees? If I keep it it’ll be at least another seven days.
I've been driving for a left for 2 years and so much and now they saying something about I didn't return a car on time that's on the January 14th they said I didn't return the car but I did because I had the flu I came down to the office and they sent everybody home cuz the computer was down the next day I could not come to work because of the flu I was very sick but I did return the car and they did clear it up.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bigwillie
I've been driving for a left for 2 years and so much and now they saying something about I didn't return a car on time that's on the January 14th they said I didn't return the car but I did because I had the flu I came down to the office and they sent everybody home cuz the computer was down the next day I could not come to work because of the flu I was very sick but I did return the car and they did clear it up.
A reply to an almost four year old post that makes no sense. What exactly are you trying to say or ask about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.